• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sprta

Jan 5, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I am a Maryland resident who owns property in Florida
    I want to purchase in Florida a Glock 17 17 Round Magazine.
    What happens when I register this gun in Maryland:
    Since the magazine was purchased out of state I assume I can legally have it in my possession in Maryland.
    Is my assumption correct or do I need to show a 10 rnd mag when I register the gun?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    They do not ask to see your mags. If you are a MD resident and buy a glock out of state, it will have to be shipped to a MD FFL. Minus your 17 rd mags.

Better to just buy your mags in FL and your pistol in MD. It will save you shipping and transfer fees.

Either way you will have to have a HQL (handgun qualification license) to take possession of the pistol

Sprta

Jan 5, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Good point regarding transfer fees and shipping. I have an HQL and a Florida CCW, its just easier to buy a handgun in Fla. and walk out the door the same day.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Good point regarding transfer fees and shipping. I have an HQL and a Florida CCW, its just easier to buy a handgun in Fla. and walk out the door the same day.

If you are officially a Maryland resident, as in you have a MD Drivers License not a Florida one, you cannot buy a handgun in Florida and walk out with it. It will have to be shipped to MD before it can be transferred to you.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    You can have both a MD and FLA drivers license.

Really? when I moved to MD from MA I had 30 days to establish residency and apply for a MD driver's license'; I had to surrender my MA license to do it. Why is FLA different? Did you have to retake the driving test?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    What you can do is to pay for the gun in Florida, put the magazines in your pocket (you paid for them), and have the gun shipped to MD without mags.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    To any attorneys haunting the forums: a lot of "snow birds" move between northern and southern states seasonally. What criteria determines which jurisdiction is established as residency? Is it user option, assuming one own property in both states?

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    To any attorneys haunting the forums: a lot of "snow birds" move between northern and southern states seasonally. What criteria determines which jurisdiction is established as residency? Is it user option, assuming one own property in both states?

i believe this is illegal, but IANAL

Snowbirds who own property in both Florida and another state can get a Florida license as well as their home state. Wife had one for years and used it mainly to get Florida resident discounts at Disney World and other attractions when we took the grandkids.

This may have changed recently but the one she had just expired in August of this year.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA

If you are officially a Maryland resident, as in you have a MD Drivers License not a Florida one, you cannot buy a handgun in Florida and walk out with it. It will have to be shipped to MD before it can be transferred to you.

You can't walk out with it the same day.

Depending on which county your property is in, even if you become a FL resident, there may be a 3 day waiting period:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/getdoc/70d071b8-8b18-4f8d-8269-8819c33054f4/FAQs2.aspx

Without a valid Concealed Weapon Permit from the State of Florida, there is a mandatory three day waiting period for all handgun purchases.
    Individual counties, cities and municipalities have the ability to pass laws that add or lengthen the waiting period for any type of firearm. Please consult your local County Commission for more detailed information.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Snowbirds who own property in both Florida and another state can get a Florida license as well as their home state. Wife had one for years and used it mainly to get Florida resident discounts at Disney World and other attractions when we took the grandkids.

This may have changed recently but the one she had just expired in August of this year.

changed a while ago in florida, 2009 according to this
    http://www.naplesnews.com/news/state/new-rule-requires-part-timers-surrender-state-driv

according to that article, its federal law

Sprta

Jan 5, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    When I was in Florida at Basspro and the Ft Myers gun show this is what they stated. As long as you own property in Florida and show them a property tax bill they will sell you a handgun. Your considered to have dual residency. Although there is a three day waiting period. However if you have a Florida non resident CCW you can walk out the same day with your purchase. I have seen this occur and neither place asked for a Florida drivers license.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014

Maryland Residency Requirements:

"Resident -Your permanent home is or was in Maryland (the law refers to this as your domicile). OR your permanent home is outside of Maryland, but you maintained a place of abode (that is, a place to live) in Maryland for more than six months of the tax year."

Florida Residency Requirements:

"A person, or the parents of a dependent child, must establish legal residence in Florida and maintain such for at least twelve months. The applicant for Florida residency for tuition purposes must establish that his or her presence in Florida is not incidental to enrollment in an institution of higher education. Legal residence for at least 12 months must be verified to the satisfaction of the officials charged with determining residency for tuition purposes and may be supported by submission of documentation of legal ties to Florida, dated at least 12 months prior to enrollment, and the absence of ties to other states in the preceding 12 months."

:)

Sprta

Jan 5, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Your missing the point, for purposes of purchasing a firearm in Florida they have dual residency. You are not a resident of Florida but own property in Florida. I have seen this in action - all you need to do is show a property tax bill and they will sell you a firearm. Which they did, no proof of permanent residency. If you have the non resident CCW you walk out the door - seen this occur multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom