• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    If you read my posts I wasn't concerned about him open carrying. I was concerned if a LEO saw it and would end up causing him somehow to lose his permit. I assumed all along he had one. You guys took this thread in the wrong direction.

OC is legal in MD therefore it would not cause him to lose his permit.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    That depends where on the curve you are. If you are with him on the curve (IE have a permit and a full holster) or if you're behind him (IE most MD residents with no permit) it may be better to assess from a distance. And then approach or remove yourself from the situation as the situation dictates.

Huh?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That depends where on the curve you are. If you are with him on the curve (IE have a permit and a full holster) or if you're behind him (IE most MD residents with no permit) it may be better to assess from a distance. And then approach or remove yourself from the situation as the situation dictates.

Huh?

What is with all this "assessing" stuff everyone mentions? What is there to "assess" when you are behind someone in line just to ask a person a question?

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    Hmmm... isnt it thats how its supposed to be in the first place. They made so many laws here in Maryland which is unconstitutional anyways...:sad20::sad20::sad20:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hmmm... isnt it thats how its supposed to be in the first place. They made so many laws here in Maryland which is unconstitutional anyways...:sad20::sad20::sad20:

Sure it is how it should be, but it isn't. So this is Maryland and when someone sees it, it calls to question why someone is carrying. Nobody here would be alarmed by it and I don't think that was the point of the OP.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    Then nothing. I figure it is enough to make him feel like an ass because I would want to put him on the spot for being stupid. Quite simply, someone in Maryland who does this just wants to show off.

This is the mentality that I don't get. You're saying that because his firearm was legally exposed that he just wants to show off? Please explain.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is the mentality that I don't get. You're saying that because his firearm was legally exposed that he just wants to show off? Please explain.

It's just like getting a cell phone in the 80's and wanting everyone to know.

You are ASSUMING he was legal to carry. Since the OP didn't ask (which is why I posted my comment about asking), you don't know he is legal. Anyone who open carries subjects their self to inquiry by anyone.

I have been carrying for almost 20 years. I remember how it was to first carry. I have no "mentality" against it. My only discrepancy is the open carry vs conceal carry and would almost always bash anyone who open carries because I think it is stupid. Especially in a state where it is not common.

Why open up yourself to scrutiny or possible calls to the police? This is not championing the cause. Now, get every CCW in maryland to open carry and start getting the public used to it, then that might get somewhere.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Lots of comments about assess. Sounds very tacticool. Remember to keep your smart phone at the low ready when you draw from your level 3 drop leg.

Feet pointed straight and shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, back straight. Head on swivel, and elbow in when you make a non emergency call to 911.

+1 for ball cap with Velcro patch. +2 if the hat is turned backwards so you look like TacOp status.

:lol2:

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware

You are ASSUMING he was legal to carry. Since the OP didn't ask (which is why I posted my comment about asking), you don't know he is legal. Anyone who open carries subjects their self to inquiry by anyone.

I have been carrying for almost 20 years. I remember how it was to first carry. I have no "mentality" against it. My only discrepancy is the open carry vs conceal carry and would almost always bash anyone who open carries because I think it is stupid. Especially in a state where it is not common.

Why open up yourself to scrutiny or possible calls to the police? This is not championing the cause. Now, get every CCW in maryland to open carry and start getting the public used to it, then that might get somewhere.

Perhaps I misunderstand Maryland law, but I was under the impression that if you are one of the very few that has a CCW permit, open carry is not illegal.
    If that is the case, I agree with you that perhaps all those that have a CCW should open carry. You're never going to change public perception if you don't take a few strides. Calling open carry stupid just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it so. Please remember that there are those out there that consider you stupid just because you own a gun.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Perhaps I misunderstand Maryland law, but I was under the impression that if you are one of the very few that has a CCW permit, open carry is not illegal.
    If that is the case, I agree with you that perhaps all those that have a CCW should open carry. You're never going to change public perception if you don't take a few strides. Calling open carry stupid just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it so. Please remember that there are those out there that consider you stupid just because you own a gun.

Tactically, I think open carry is "not a good practice". Maybe that is a better way to put it. It's better to be a grey guy and fit in. ESPECIALLY inside a bank. Unless you want to be the first one to get a round in your grape.

Maryland law does not state one may or may not open carry. So, open carry if you are one of those who subscribe to the thought that if there is not a law forbidding something then it is ok to do that something. Most people calls those thinkers "test cases". And with the rare chance and scarcity of getting a Md permit I would think most would prefer to not be a "test case", have something go awry and then lose that permit.
    Yes, it's battered gun owner/permit syndrome. But it is that syndrome that keeps one from losing the precious permit, albeit it that it shouldn't.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    We know YOU aren't concerned. But unfortunately we live in a state where BGOS runs rampant, and sooner or later eventually ALL open carriers will run into the idiot who will see the firearm and react like........:omg:

.....So the input that may not have fit your exact specifications did actually bear some relevance.

Yep. :party29:

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42

So it's all or none? What's stupid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom