• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I don't know how quick you need this by BCM just put their KMR on the market yesterday. I ordered the 13" model and supposedly they will have a 15" model by early summer. They are the lightest on the market. The 13" weighs 7.7 ounces with the barrel nut.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

I guess you missed his "inexpensive" requirement.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Troy is a no-go for me.

I'm not so much rejecting key mod because it's keymod, but more because of the "latest/greatest=$$$$" issue. That being said I have less issue with key mod over picatinny. I have no need for all sorts of rail estate for this particular upper. If I can find a reasonable fore end that happens to be keymod, so be it.

How study is the AP tube? I like that no glue is required.
    Well I shot it all last year in 3-gun, meaning dumping in the barrels when switching firearms and it never had an issue. It slides onto the adapter pretty far before the screws line up so it does not get torqued too much and the sandwich adapter that locks around the barrel nut is rock solid. On the one I put on my 15-22 I had to install a standard AR barrel nut on the Tacticool22 adapter. It created a small gap but other than that I like shooting it better than the Nordic or Hogue handguards I had on previously.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ok, I dont want to derail this thread; however, why why why would someone want a short rail/handgaurd? there is less surface area for stability on another surface, ie tree, rock, etc...

I have always had a Long handguard and for stability with off hand shots it's great, even with my deer rifle or shotgun i despise feeling as if i'm cramped taking a shot. I't not as if in the Civy world were jumping out of or hanging out of humvees .... so enlighten me please.
    Depends on what you want the AR to do. Both my 18" barreled 3-gun AR and my 20" barreled 6.8mm AR have 15" extended rifle handguards on them so I can use a bipod or get a lot of torque by grabbing them way down towards the end of the barrel. But my 14.5 urban assault AR has a 7" Samson Evo on it because I installed a YHM flip-up FS/GB on it (clamp-on type because of the pinned PSA Pigsticker Comp on the end). I wanted to be able to take the FS, GB, and handguard off if needed over the pinned comp. I have that one setup with short grips like a Magpul AFG or vertical grip for shooting in close quarters. I built it for that and for the NRA NDM matches.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Anyone know about the SLR Solo Series? Looks pretty nice, although it's pretty much starting the hit the ceiling of what I'd pay....

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=79
    Keymod seems a waste for 3-gun if you ask me. You don't put much of anything on a 3-gun AR except on a top rail so any smooth single rail handguard that will except rail sections in a pinch is more that adequate. You don't spend time between stages adding or subtracting items off your AR, because except for Open division most things are not allowed.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Keymod seems a waste for 3-gun if you ask me. You don't put much of anything on a 3-gun AR except on a top rail so any smooth single rail handguard that will except rail sections in a pinch is more that adequate. You don't spend time between stages adding or subtracting items off your AR, because except for Open division most things are not allowed.

I have a full rail set up on my 3-gun rifle, a keymod rail would weigh about half of what my rail does and I wouldn't need rail covers to run it like it's supposed to be done.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, I see your point on the keymod thing. However, I'm not sure if I'm going to shoot 3-gun (I'd like to give it a try though, however there's nowhere near that I can think of that does it) and the rifle will be primarily a precision set up. Also the SLR is 8 oz. When it comes down to it and I look at my wants/needs it seems that the only difference between a 3-gun set up and precision rifle, FOR ME, is that the 3-gun rifle "goes faster". Otherwise the things I want are the same. Anywho, I will take a harder look at the AP custom set up.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I like the Midwest SS/keymod handguards for the price. They're thinner than the Sampson Evo's.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    whats wrong with troy my rail is strong enough to shoot slung up and it's lighter than most and the price is right

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Midwest gen 2 ss standard or keymod for a light and durable rail

Avoid troy rails. The barrel nut attachment is awful.

Yhm lightweight ff models are great but heavy.

Certain dd rails are terrible too but some are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom