New Primary Arms Microdot with 50,000 hr battery life - A T-1 killer!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    New Primary Arms Microdot with 50,000 hr battery life - A T-1 killer?

if you like microdots, check this out:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm
    I have one of their older version microdots and its great - clear glass, crisp dot, etc. but only has 1000 hours of battery life at medium setting so I picked one of these up for my new pistol build.
    Since it has 50,000 hours of battery life, I will be leaving it on all the time just like I do with my Aimpoint PRO.
    This dot was torture tested (see video on PA website) and I think it could be a T-1 killer! Why pay 2.5x more?

The PA site is currently sold out (with more on the way) but if you want to buy today, Aim Surplus (where I got mine) still has them in stock.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...+Arms+Advanced+Micro+Dot+MD-ADS&search=MD-ADS

I have no affiliation with either PA or Aimsurplus - just putting the word out there.
    PA has great products and even better customer service!
    Best,
    Jim

Last edited:

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Does this compare better than the Bushnell?
    you mean the TRS-25?
    The military arms channel did a budget red dot comparison earlier in 2014 of one of the PA older red dots but it did include the TRS-25:
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/budget-red-dot-sight-comparison-part-1/
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/budget-red-dot-sight-comparison-part-2/
    PA and Bushnell both got high marks and were top 2 preferred products in the overall scoring.

I think you'd have to do the comparison again with the new PA MD-ADS and the TRS-25.
    Bushnell doesn't advertise hour life (would imagine its not at 50K hours - big plus for me), weights are similar, I prefer 2 MOA dot vs. 3 MOA on the Bushnell, PA more expensive (but not T-1 prohibitive), PA has better design IMHO with the new push buttons vs. a dial for adjusting brightness settings. Other things???

I have 2 other scopes by PA and really like the quality/features for the price point.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Specs look great. I too have a PA red dot and it seems to be well made and is a clear optic. A 50K hour battery life and paralex free past 33 yards is nice. Not sure how it would compare to an Aimpoint PRO or an EOTech in a law enforcement scenario. But PA is probably good enough for most shooters, and much more affordable.

EMS Burnout

Oct 10, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I'm considering the PA micro dot. I understand they are using better O-rings to make it more waterproof. Also it will fit on MW Industries AK forearms so it can be co-witnessed.
    I think I just sold myself. Heading to aim now.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    These are decent but no better than other mid range optics made by Vortex or Bushnell.

A side by side comparison with a T1 or H1 and it's pretty obvious that the turret caps, glass retention, machining and finish are not on par with the Aim Point. Not to mention the cheap rubberized illumination adjustment buttons.

...but for 1/3 of the price, it's probably good enough. I'd like to see how one handles 1000 rounds while mounted on a SCAR.

I'd buy one.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    These are decent but no better than other mid range optics made by Vortex or Bushnell.

A side by side comparison with a T1 or H1 and it's pretty obvious that the turret caps, glass retention, machining and finish are not on par with the Aim Point. Not to mention the cheap rubberized illumination adjustment buttons.

...but for 1/3 of the price, it's probably good enough. I'd like to see how one handles 1000 rounds while mounted on a SCAR.

I'd buy one.

If the battery life is over 5 years than I would call that better than the Vortex or Bushnell or Eotech for that matter. I have a Chinese knock off red dot, an Eotech, a Vortex, and 3 Aimpoints. I have experienced a lot more inopportune dead batteries than breakage.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Did I miss where the Vortex and Bushnell have 50k hours of battery life?

IMHO, dollar for dollar, the PA Micro Advanced is a WAY better sight than either. Those Holosun guys have really got it going on. In particular, the glass is way better than the Bushnell - it's not even close.

thai

May 8, 2013
    An Aimpoint T1 killer it is not. I would hesitate to jump to such a declaration just because a cheap redot sight's brochure claims to be equivalent to an Aimpoint. The old addage is probably appropriate here "You get what you paid for".

There are substantial reasons why Aimpoints, Trijicons, Elcans, cost as much as they do. If you purchase a knock off equipment because of economics, then enjoy what you have. Buy once, cry once-I always say.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    An Aimpoint T1 killer it is not. I would hesitate to jump to such a declaration just because a cheap redot sight's brochure claims to be equivalent to an Aimpoint. The old addage is probably appropriate here "You get what you paid for".

There are substantial reasons why Aimpoints, Trijicons, Elcans, cost as much as they do. If you purchase a knock off equipment because of economics, then enjoy what you have. Buy once, cry once-I always say.

I agree. If my life was at stake I would for sure go for the AimPoint. Mil-spec says a lot about its ability to take punishment and still work. The PA is not built that tough. It is designed primarily for range toys. In fact when it comes to red dots for anything below the Trijicon level a C-More is way better than any of these for around $220.
    I look at it this way: Trijicon if my life depends on it, C-More if my job depends on it and everything else is for range toys.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Agreed that it's strictly a range toy. Looking past the obvious build-quality differences, you only need to take one look through a Chinese red dot, PA included, side by side with a quality piece from Aimpoint, EOTech, or Trijicon to see the difference in image clarity. In broad daylight, there's no comparison. In low light or darkness, the cheap ones are unusable.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I happen to have all of the above... I'll run a low light test one of these days and see if I agree.

I'm also a little tired of simply taking it for granted that Aimpoints are made of magic fairy dust that makes them so much better than everything else. We're talking about rather old technology and techniques at this point.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Mil-spec says a lot about its ability to take punishment and still work. The PA is not built that tough.

First of all...MIL-SPEC is a MINIMUM requirement built by the lowest bidder...so don't wrap yourself up in that too much

Second do you even own a PA product? probably not based on your answer (A complete supposition on my part, i realize that)

Third...
    I'll put their durability against most anything else out there

While i agree, if my life were on the line? maybe i'd grab something else first...BUT i have one of these on backorder because my other two PA products have yet to fail me and i have lots of cash left in my pocket that i don't have to throw around on "Mil-spec" optics for a weapon that will realistically never see battle of any shape or form just like 90+% of us here

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I happen to have all of the above

I own all except Trijicon. I've used ACOGs enough to know the ruggedness and optical clarity are phenomenal.

I'm also a little tired of simply taking it for granted that Aimpoints are made of magic fairy dust that makes them so much better than everything else. We're talking about rather old technology and techniques at this point.

Old tech isn't necessarily bad. Not when the materials, assembly methods (by skilled employees), and quality controls are first rate. That's compared to bargain-basement materials hobbled together in Chinese slave factories without formal quality control processes or unit testing. I build product both ways (here and China), priced accordingly. My U.S.-built product gets a real warranty for industrial use. My Chinese-built product gets no warranty, a much lower price tag, and is only intended for development/light-duty use. There is no comparison between the two, short of paying a fortune to have highly-skilled management and technical staff residing in China to oversee everything like a hawk, even though in my case the materials are theoretically the same. The reasons are straightforward. Chinese OEMs tend to substitute inferior materials wherever possible and ignore testing (to the point of fabricating test results even if you provide the test procedures and equipment). Besides that, product made in China is extremely susceptible to intellectual property theft, since China willfully disregards IP law. Many companies, mine included, are wise enough to keep manufacturing of their better/best products far away from China.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Old tech isn't necessarily bad. Not when the materials, assembly methods (by skilled employees), and quality controls are first rate. That's compared to bargain-basement materials hobbled together in Chinese slave factories without formal quality control processes or unit testing. I build product both ways (here and China), priced accordingly. My U.S.-built product gets a real warranty for industrial use. My Chinese-built product gets no warranty, a much lower price tag, and is only intended for development/light-duty use. There is no comparison between the two, short of paying a fortune to have highly-skilled management and technical staff residing in China to oversee everything like a hawk, even though in my case the materials are theoretically the same. The reasons are straightforward. Chinese OEMs tend to substitute inferior materials wherever possible and ignore testing (to the point of fabricating test results even if you provide the test procedures and equipment). Besides that, product made in China is extremely susceptible to intellectual property theft, since China willfully disregards IP law. Many companies, mine included, are wise enough to keep manufacturing of their better/best products far away from China.
    You are basically presuming that all Chinese OEMs are going to stay stupid. This is a very dangerous assumption, and one that seems to be less and less true every day.

I'll simply pose the question I've posed before: how do you even objectively evaluate when something is as good as an Aimpoint? Or good enough for combat use? If you can't answer that, you're not buying based on quality, you're buying on a brand name.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You are basically presuming that all Chinese OEMs are going to stay stupid. This is a very dangerous assumption, and one that seems to be less and less true every day.

Most certainly not. As I said, I build product there (very sophisticated product). The Chinese are capable if given proper incentive. But they also specialize in emulation through theft, as opposed to homegrown invention and/or innovation. As things currently stand, the IP theft will get much worse as Chinese arrogance builds. But the IP theft will also hinder the Chinese, potentially to the point of being their downfall as it gets out of hand, since other countries will eventually give up and turn to massive reinvestment in domestic production to protect their interests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom