• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I usually don't wear gloves unless my arthritis is acting up. It helps dull the pain of recoil. As far as driving gloves, I don't race but I drive 600 miles a night. I wear driving gloves when arthritis acts up.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I actually prefer to shoot with gloves as it provides more grip for my sweaty meat sticks. I have several pairs of "Shooting Gloves" several pairs of work-gloves but my favorite thing to shoot with are a pair of batting gloves. The batting gloves have the smallest profile and also provide the best grip.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Driving gloves are to prevent your hands from getting burnt to a crisp when your car crashes, rolls 8 times then catches fire. Same reason they wear a racing suit.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Funny, actually...

I get asked when I play golf why I DON'T wear gloves... I tell them I prefer direct contact.

I see what you did there.:D

if it is someone shooting high-power or service rifle its my understanding that it is to protect your hand from the tension of the sling which can become painful on your hand.

If it's done correctly, the sling doesn't come into contact with either hand. The primary two purposes of wearing a shooting glove(s) and/or mit:

1. Help prevent slippage of hand on stock once in shooting position, especially during rapid fire, and

2. Help prevent the pulse of the shooter's hands being transmitted to the firearm, hence, a better and more stable sight picture.

Both of the above are very important when shooting long distances out to 1,000 yards and beyond.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    the only time i've worn gloves is when i put 40 hornady rds thru my S&W .500.
    :thumbsup:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Paddys Pub! Home of the ORIGINAL Kitten Mittens! I wear 5.11 gloves with a great grip when I shoot outdoors in bad weather because I don't want to somehow slip and drop my gun. I tend to trip over things. I'm paranoid about scratching some guns.

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    I've worn gloves during combat because I was told to. Doing so protected my hands from all sorts of scrapes and burns, and I continue to wear them to shoot. It all do comes down to personal preference.

Sirex