• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As an aside, do you have a house alarm and or a vigilant dog? The best fights are the ones you can avoid.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    No dog, no alarm, very low crime area. For the past several years (~10) I have had a Beretta 92FS with 10 rounds of Hyda-Shock loaded in each 15 round magazine with one magazine loaded in the gun at all times - 24/7/365.

I am aware that in theory modern magazine springs don't take a "set" and that Beretta has never hung up or misfired on quality ammo in the 20+ years I have owned it but I have decided I would sleep a little better with a revolver in the nightstand vice an automatic. Pretty much set on .357 / .38 +P. I am still torn between the S&W and the Ruger.

I have read some reviews on Bud's Guns about brand new S&W's showing up at the FFL filthy and basically appearing well used. Not sure if that is the exception or the rule. I believe I going with the 686 Plus and take my chances that it will show up in NIB condition.

I appreciate all the advice and input guys. Thank You.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    S&W R8 because 8 rounds are better then 6 and you can mount a light on it if you wish.
    Got one for my wife and she loves it.
    1z5hu29.jpg
    [/IMG]

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    No dog, no alarm, very low crime area. For the past several years (~10) I have had a Beretta 92FS with 10 rounds of Hyda-Shock loaded in each 15 round magazine with one magazine loaded in the gun at all times - 24/7/365.

I am aware that in theory modern magazine springs don't take a "set" and that Beretta has never hung up or misfired on quality ammo in the 20+ years I have owned it but I have decided I would sleep a little better with a revolver in the nightstand vice an automatic. Pretty much set on .357 / .38 +P. I am still torn between the S&W and the Ruger.

I have read some reviews on Bud's Guns about brand new S&W's showing up at the FFL filthy and basically appearing well used. Not sure if that is the exception or the rule. I believe I going with the 686 Plus and take my chances that it will show up in NIB condition.

I appreciate all the advice and input guys. Thank You.
    Curious, why just ten rounds in the fifteen rounds mags?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    to the OP, a night stand gun? does this mean the gun is stored in the night stand during the day and at times when you are not home? if so, you have failed as a responsible gun owner. be aware, these self defense devices are to be stored so PROHIBITED PERSONS do not have access to them at any time. keeping the gun in a night stand, exactly where a criminal or PROHIBITED PERSON may think you keep a gun, is the wrong place to store it. additionally, as per maryland law, a prohibited person includes some one who had a propensity to violence, someone with a restraining order, someone who has a known substance abuse record, someone who is a convicted felon, someone who has a restraining order against them, someone who has been adjudicated to a mental facility, either voluntarily or in-voluntarily, someone who is considered a habitual drunkard that has received more than 3 DUI's in a five year period, and ABOVE ALL, a child. will your "night stand gun" be stored in such a fashion that a prohibited person cannot gain access to it?

can't candy-coat the facts. sorry.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    to the OP, a night stand gun? does this mean the gun is stored in the night stand during the day and at times when you are not home? if so, you have failed as a responsible gun owner. be aware, these self defense devices are to be stored so PROHIBITED PERSONS do not have access to them at any time. keeping the gun in a night stand, exactly where a criminal or PROHIBITED PERSON may think you keep a gun, is the wrong place to store it. additionally, as per maryland law, a prohibited person includes some one who had a propensity to violence, someone with a restraining order, someone who has a known substance abuse record, someone who is a convicted felon, someone who has a restraining order against them, someone who has been adjudicated to a mental facility, either voluntarily or in-voluntarily, someone who is considered a habitual drunkard that has received more than 3 DUI's in a five year period, and ABOVE ALL, a child. will your "night stand gun" be stored in such a fashion that a prohibited person cannot gain access to it?

If someone is going to steal your stuff, there's not much you can do aside from a full size safe bolted to the floor. Even that isn't fool proof.

I'm betting 99.9999% of people on this forum have a gun in a nightstand, closet, lock box, small safe, etc that could be stolen.

Just like a lunatic shooting people with an illegal gun, if someone wants to do something they are going to find a way to do it.

Now if you have kids, yes guns should be locked up. Nobody will disagree with that. Aside from that though, anyone who plans to use a gun in a self defense home invasion scenario knows damn well having it locked in a safe is useless, and locking it up every time you leave the house, and get it back out when you get home, isn't going to happen.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    If someone is going to steal your stuff, there's not much you can do aside from a full size safe bolted to the floor. Even that isn't fool proof.

I'm betting 99.9999% of people on this forum have a gun in a nightstand, closet, lock box, small safe, etc that could be stolen.

Just like a lunatic shooting people with an illegal gun, if someone wants to do something they are going to find a way to do it.

Now if you have kids, yes guns should be locked up. Nobody will disagree with that. Aside from that though, anyone who plans to use a gun in a self defense home invasion scenario knows damn well having it locked in a safe is useless, and locking it up every time you leave the house, and get it back out when you get home, isn't going to happen.

xshot sez~~>> "...and locking it up every time you leave the house, and get it back out when you get home, isn't going to happen." um, do tell? please define RESPONSIBILITY for me. anything less plays into the hands of the anti's mantra. "well gee, it was too much trouble to make sure it was in a safe condition at ALL FVCKING TIME! seriously? you need to take a real safety class, no offense here, but your way of thinking will get someone injured, killed or jailed.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Anything a revolver can do, a Glock can do 3 times better:D

:popcorn:

well sorta. the superior concept behind the revolver is it will not jam, most cases. i have worked extensively to jam a revolver and with training you can, but through usual use, it is foolproof. i have jammed the glock. intentionally, i did everything i could to discredit the glock, and i did. i respect your admiration for the ghetto gun, but you may want to consider something that isn't made of plastic and a gun that does require maintenance. for glock to claim it is as versatile as they do, i questioned it, tested it and watched it blow up in a mans hands (.40 CAL). GLOCK HAS it's pro's and cons. you decide, but keep it secured from PROHIBITED PERSONS at ALL TIMES. carry on.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    xshot sez~~>> "...and locking it up every time you leave the house, and get it back out when you get home, isn't going to happen." um, do tell? please define RESPONSIBILITY for me. anything less plays into the hands of the anti's mantra. "well gee, it was too much trouble to make sure it was in a safe condition at ALL FVCKING TIME! seriously? you need to take a real safety class, no offense here, but your way of thinking will get someone injured, killed or jailed.

This message is aimed at me; but you've also called out every single person on this forum that has a bedside gun or shotgun in the corner.

Edit: you're also saying that basically anyone who buys a gun, before buying a legitimate safe that's bolted and secured to the floor and immovable, is an irresponsible gun owner.

I'm not condoning leaving guns laying around for children to play with, but locking my house up when I'm not home is my way of locking my guns up, and regardless if others speak up or not, we all know this is a normal thing to do.

/threadjack

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    There are no children in our home. All firearms are secured from "prohibited persons" when not in use.

As to the 10 rounds in a 15 round magazine - I was taught that not loading the magazine to full capacity would help prolong magazine life so I only keep 10 in each mag.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As to the 10 rounds in a 15 round magazine - I was taught that not loading the magazine to full capacity would help prolong magazine life so I only keep 10 in each mag.

A Beretta mag spring is $6.99. If on your regular trips to the range you notice a failure to feed, you replace it.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury

This is 99% BS.

If you have children in the house (as I do), I recommend a small handgun safe in the nightstand drawer.

I don't associate with the rest of the prohibited persons on your list, so if they were in my house they would be trespassing/burgling (hey, that's illegal!). I'm to be responsible for someone breaking into my house and stealing my guns? The best safe on the market is not going to stop the most determined thief on the street.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Almost all spring weakness coming from the repeated loading and unloading of the spring. If you just load them and leave them, they are fine.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    This is 99% BS.

If you have children in the house (as I do), I recommend a small handgun safe in the nightstand drawer.

I don't associate with the rest of the prohibited persons on your list, so if they were in my house they would be trespassing/burgling (hey, that's illegal!). I'm to be responsible for someone breaking into my house and stealing my guns? The best safe on the market is not going to stop the most determined thief on the street.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom