• dr55214011.jpg
      dr55214011.jpg
      199.8 KB · Views: 533

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's on my short list as well - solid, robust knife with a secure blade lock and good blade metal for under $150. Might get it for myself during Christmas (they'll been selling slow - so I think they'll last).

I looked at the other Knifeworks exclusives after you posted - and am tempted to pull the trigger sooner on an ESEE folder (several in the $21-29 range now). Very average blade metal (AUS-8) but people who have left reviews for these folders seemed pretty satisfied.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I have one in m390 and one in s30v. I love both of them. The m390 really shines though. The edge retention is amazing, it gets scary sharp on the wicked edge, and it's pretty easy to sharpen. Mine is the full size which is the perfect edc IMHO. I have the orange handle and stone washed blade. uploadfromtaptalk1441322443305.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1441322352292.jpg

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I want the full size. have not decided on black or orange scales. Could always get custom scales; but then might as well get one of the more spiffy Benchmades with M390 and G10 scales as the money spent would be the same.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Awesome bladeshape, steel and lock, scales are lightweight and useful, but not all that interesting, I went with custom G10 on mine. Only problem is the small partial liners the design uses aren't as smooth and consistent opening/closing as other BM designs, especially with the flex from the stock FRN scales.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Hmm. Thinking about it.
    The only hangup I have about that contego is the wide variation in colors. I really like the black with traces of blue on the edges of the milling. I don't like the blue with black variant nearly as much. They won't hand select the knives either. Let us know what you end up purchasing.

uploadfromtaptalk1441640721907.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1441640750004.jpg

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You know - I am trying to save money and get the value knives and in the end I gravitate towards the pricey ones. Or - I get the value knife and then turn around and spend $60 on custom scales!! One of these will be the outcome of this thread. :D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hmm. Thinking about it.

If you are considering a Contego, I strongly recommend holding one first, My brother has one, and I've handled them at various shops, and just can't get past the awful handle shape and texture. Must have been designed for a 3 fingered Sontaran warrior, not a human hand, not only is the shape uncomfortable, with an awkward thumb ramp, but the texture is like holding a stack of sawblades. Like the Rift , Emmesary, and to a lesser degree the Barrage and Osborne, Warren Osborne tends to screw up a good blade with a terrible handle.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you are considering a Contego, I strongly recommend holding one first, My brother has one, and I've handled them at various shops, and just can't get past the awful handle shape and texture. Must have been designed for a 3 fingered Sontaran warrior, not a human hand, not only is the shape uncomfortable, with an awkward thumb ramp, but the texture is like holding a stack of sawblades. Like the Rift , Emmesary, and to a lesser degree the Barrage and Osborne, Warren Osborne tends to screw up a good blade with a terrible handle.
    Yeah, the contego handle is pretty poorly designed... especially when compared to a PMII or manix handle. I'm much happier with it since getting rid of that weird hump, adding a pinky lip, and dehorning some areas. I modeled it after the PMII when reshaping the handle.

In my mind there is no better blade on a knife now than on the cpm-m4 contego. Reverse-Tanto ffg cerakoted cpm-m4 at 62-64hrc....perfect. I'm amazed at how sharp it gets and then how long it holds the edge. By far my favorite steel

Attachments

• IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 336
    • IMAG9353_1_zpsgqdcctxi.jpg
      IMAG9353_1_zpsgqdcctxi.jpg
      43.4 KB · Views: 336

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    You know - I am trying to save money and get the value knives and in the end I gravitate towards the pricey ones. Or - I get the value knife and then turn around and spend $60 on custom scales!! One of these will be the outcome of this thread. :D
    I got my contego and it is the black with blue I was hoping for. I don't know if the handle scales are milled differently than the m4 version but I don't mind them. I am going to use it for a few weeks to see if my opinion changes and I feel a need to modify them.

Where are you located? If you are near Baltimore County I'd be happy to meet so you can handle both knives to see what you think of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom