• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    I was wondering if MD had any regulations on transport of a harvested animal. Obvioulsy I know I have to fill out the big game field tag and harvest record and check it in and recieve a confirmation number. But once all of that has been completed are there any regulations on how you transport the deer.

For example In Maine (which is the last state I hunted in) you must have enough of the animal open to view so that a passing warden can visually detirmine the gender of the deer. This leads to heads hanging out of car trunks or propped over tailgates.

In Maine this isn't an issue because almost everyone hunts and if they don't they are used to this sight. However I think the average joe in MOCO would have a heart attack followed by months of nughtmares if such a thing was viewed.

Is there something similar in MD? I couldnt find anything in the general regulations

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    In MD They teach in hunter safety to cover the kill so as not to offend those who think Bambi shouldn't be killed. This is being a good steward according to the DNR. I don't know if it's law but is taught in hunter safety. I personally think it's dumb but whatever.

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    In MD They teach in hunter safety to cover the kill so as not to offend those who think Bambi shouldn't be killed. This is being a good steward according to the DNR. I don't know if it's law but is taught in hunter safety. I personally think it's dumb but whatever.

Yeah I figured it would have been covered in the MD hunter safety class but since I took my hunter safety class in Maine I diddnt need a MD one. Thanks all you confirmed my assumption to keep it covered

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Now and then someone has the tailgate open and you can see either a large buck with nice antlers, or a stack of does and small bucks. This is called "showing off". Most times you have to go look in the truck bed. Honestly, if you enjoy looking at dead deer, go hang out at a processor on opening day shotgun/rifle. LOL

One time I had someone bring me a whole gutted bear of about only 90 pounds, but it was in a giant cooler with lots of ice. After skinning I joked how it looked like a headless footless skinned person. Now you DON'T want that hanging off the back while driving around.

I have seen some folks with those hitch haul things on the backs of vans or whatnot, with an uncovered dead deer, driving around. Out here in redneck land though LOL.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Not sure of any specific regulations. I've always just thrown it in the bed of the truck and never given it another thought. The animal does need to be tagged, but not necessarily checked in with confirmation number (yet). You have 24 hours from the time of harvest to check-in, but the tag is supposed to be applied right away.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I put it on my cargo carrier on the back of the jeep and cover it with a tarp. No sense in having crazies yelling at you. I mainly do it so 5 year old children dont have to see it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I strap the Deer to the tailgate of my old Dodge "Huntin' Truck" and roll on down the highway to the walkin cooler. Who sees what I got between point A and point B will either been jealous or offended. Either way it's my person right to hunt and there's no law against me strapping it to any part of my vehicle.

This is how I roll... and that's a damn fine looking '86 Dodge too...:D

Attachments

• 1220111813.jpg
      1220111813.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 502
    • DODGEMULE.jpg
      DODGEMULE.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 618

davelenard

Mar 4, 2009
    A deer should be wrapped in at least two layers of plastic, heavy duty yard bags and mattress wraps work great, and loaded into the trunk of a fine German automobile. I learned this from too many mobster movies.

Attachments

• deer in benz.jpg
      deer in benz.jpg
      29.8 KB · Views: 385
    • trunk.jpg
      trunk.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 386

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    A deer should be wrapped in at least two layers of plastic, heavy duty yard bags and mattress wraps work great, and loaded into the trunk of a fine German automobile. I learned this from too many mobster movies.

sad thing is people laugh if they saw a fake arm hanging out of a trunk but if you put a deer leg or head hanging out people get offended:sad20::sad20:

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    Seriously are people really concerned about having other people see their kill. Not much a hunter myself, but damn just thorough it in the back of your truck bed and be done with it. Other than being legal and tagged of course and maybe a courtesy to children not that big a deal to me. Besides, I see way more "slaughtered" animals along the road side, then I ever will see from a hunter.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Out in the open with tongue hanging out , and big sign attached that says Rodolph the red nose rain deer was bad !
    Don't forgot to wear your Santa outfit. Then drive through a few elementary schools during recess a beep the truck horn !:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom