• 5320.20_disapproved.jpg
      5320.20_disapproved.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 580

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Someone else here had the same problem. BATF as usual is misreading the statute IMO. IANAL.

An SBR or SBS that is properly registered (stamp) is perfectly legal in MD. As long as you have a stamp it's legal. Rouchna had the same problem. he resubmitted with a copy of the statute. haven't heard back from him/. I believe he resubmitted with a copy of the statute.

BATF is applying the FSA 2013 limitations to a previously approved firearm, which to me is incorrect.

Here's the thread.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3624120&postcount=46

IANAL.

sheesh.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Did he "manufacture" the SBR after September 2013? He can't bring an assault long gun or copycat into Maryland if he didn't possess it before October 2013, is my understanding.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    An SBR is not an ALG or a copy cat.

The second, because BATFE will not approve one under 29"

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The guy is a VA resident. why would a registered NFA item be banned? as long as he has a Fedreal stamp, why is it not legal in MD?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I had the same thing happen. I sent in another Form 20 along with the MD code Swinokur gave me. I'm still waiting to see if it gets approved.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    An SBR is not an ALG or a copy cat.

The second, because BATFE will not approve one under 29"

If it's not 29" > it is a copycat. But the fact that he has a stamp would seem to make it legal but...

IANAL

from 281 copycat definition
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]III[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS AN[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]VERALL LENGTH OF LESS THAN [/FONT][FONT=&quot] 29 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]INCHES[/FONT][FONT=&quot];
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I don't think we can argue that a registered SBR isn't a centerfire semi-automatic rifle, so it's a copycat (that's why we can't make SBR under 29" right now anyway). Under current law it appears to be both a pistol and a rifle, but that doesn't help.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I don't think we can argue that a registered SBR isn't a centerfire semi-automatic rifle....

Most certainly a SBR is not a centerfire semi auto rifle. Just as my M16 is not a centerfire semi auto rifle. Different tier in the system. MSP just has this wrong.

Think of it this way. My M16 is Centerfire...223, Semi auto... since selectfire has a semi only mode.... its fired from the shoulder and so a rifle.... However its still not since is a MG. Its a higher tier. SBR is a higher tier than a rifle and a lower tier than a MG. Thats why I can put any length barrel on my MG without doing SBR paperwork.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Most certainly a SBR is not a centerfire semi auto rifle. Just as my M16 is not a centerfire semi auto rifle. Different tier in the system. MSP just has this wrong.

Think of it this way. My M16 is Centerfire...223, Semi auto... since selectfire has a semi only mode.... its fired from the shoulder and so a rifle.... However its still not since is a MG. Its a higher tier. SBR is a higher tier than a rifle and a lower tier than a MG. Thats why I can put any length barrel on my MG without doing SBR paperwork.

As far as a machine gun, we all know and even the law knows it's different. Your basis that a SBR isn't a centerfire semi-auto in the eyes of the law is what exactly? It's a different tier? Show it in the law.

FSA2013 prohibits banned guns (that weren't "grandfathered") from being from brought into MD...anything under 29" is banned, including SBRs right now. It did NOT make possession or transport of SBRs illegal. It depends on which basis ATF is denying the 5320.20 really.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    IIRC, you can bring them in for competition, shooting events, target shooting etc. as long as you aren't moving here with it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, you can bring them in for competition, shooting events, target shooting etc. as long as you aren't moving here with it.

Nope, you may not bring in ANY banned ALG that was purchased after 10/1/2013.

Not even for formal competition.

AK-47

Feb 2, 2008
    Would it be legal if it was on the MD pistol roster?
    Maybe that is the bottleneck! Even though SBRs are federally regulated maybe
    MD pistol roster test needs to pass too? I don't know, just as confused as everyone else. All I know is that my SBR's had to be on pistol roster to avoid being considered copycat weapons...

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks for your help fellas.

I'll instruct him to resend with the statute.

The lower was purchased prior to 10/2013.
    The SBR was manufactured prior to 10/2013.
    It has an OAL greater than 29"
    It is lawful to posses a federally registered firearm in MD.

Under theses circumstances I hope they approve his 5320.20. It is beyond ridiculous how much confusion and misinterpretation that FSA2013 has caused even after 16 months of implementation. I pray the day that this unconstitutional law is overturned or repealed is in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom