• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_PDW_Stock_Kit_BLK_p/sbut-pdw-00bt-00.htm

$50 less here and were just in stock the other day, and more expected soon.

Nate these were supposed to be manufactured by NEA for troy. Originally they were the same ones on the Trunk Monkeys and Troy refused to sell them outside of the rifle, but saw the popularity of the the CCS and finally cracked. The Troy option actually does seem nice with the built in QD on the butt of the stock instead of the knuckle.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_PDW_Stock_Kit_BLK_p/sbut-pdw-00bt-00.htm

$50 less here and were just in stock the other day, and more expected soon.

Nate these were supposed to be manufactured by NEA for troy. Originally they were the same ones on the Trunk Monkeys and Troy refused to sell them outside of the rifle, but saw the popularity of the the CCS and finally cracked. The Troy option actually does seem nice with the built in QD on the butt of the stock instead of the knuckle.

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Complete BCG also makes it a nice buy. I need to hunt up a spare bolt, cotter pin, and cam pin for my leftover BCG.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    SBUT-PDW-00BT-00-6.jpg

On top of the QD socket they have a lock and an easier pull button. I have to say that i'm way more excited for Six 8's though.

pdwlwrc-1.jpg

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I'm staying out of the PDW AR Stock market until they take standard AR15 Carriers, but there seems to be some pretty cool stuff hitting the market now/in the near future.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    The only way you could make that happen would be to have a full length or near full length tube that went inside of the rear of the stock like the SIX 8. The LWRC UCIW works with a standard carrier so it would definitely work at that length. The machining and design for that wouldn't be too difficult, it would also offer the opportunity to beef up the knuckle and provide a better cheek weld. You would have to skeletonize the parts a bit thought to keep the weight down.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The only way you could make that happen would be to have a full length or near full length tube that went inside of the rear of the stock like the SIX 8. The LWRC UCIW works with a standard carrier so it would definitely work at that length. The machining and design for that wouldn't be too difficult, it would also offer the opportunity to beef up the knuckle and provide a better cheek weld. You would have to skeletonize the parts a bit thought to keep the weight down.

I was thinking more like the stylings of the Gen 1 GSE Pistol tubes, but with an NEA-esque stock around it.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    I was thinking more like the stylings of the Gen 1 GSE Pistol tubes, but with an NEA-esque stock around it.

there is a company doing just that, but they are producing them in china so i will pass for now. Standard castle nut, and essentially just a shortened piston return system in the tube to replace the normal buffer system. I have thought about ordering a few and messing around with them to see if it is reliable. It may sound silly, but the proprietary part of the NEA is the BCG. I have been on several deployments, and have probably 100K+ rounds through AR platforms and have never broken a BCG. I have broken just about everything else, but never a BCG (not including gas key which is mil spec on NEA). The proprietary and hard to replace part of the GSE is the recoil system. They are entirely unique to it and are at their core a beefed up spring system. Springs will always wear out and need replaced. So if i'm going to have any proprietary part in a firearm I would rather it be the BCG.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/drss-new-arrival-tactical-vfc-stock-for-ar15/185508763.html

ETA the one i linked is a gas blow back designed for pistol calibers.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    The Troy looks like a newer gen NEA stock, just re-branded....

Normally I would agree, but the part I highlighted is drastically different. The lock allowed them to put the Catch at 90° as opposed to the 50° of the original. It also created a fast pull method not obtainable on the original design.

Screenshot_2014-09-29-17-20-15_1.jpg

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Normally I would agree, but the part I highlighted is drastically different. The lock allowed them to put the Catch at 90° as opposed to the 50° of the original. It also created a fast pull method not obtainable on the original design.

Screenshot_2014-09-29-17-20-15_1.jpg

The most recent iteration of the NEA stock is a quick pull. The button no longer needs to be pushed to go from collapsed to extended. The stock arm cut is beveled now.

Also, I would have put the sling slots on the stationary portion of the stock (likely on the bottom towards the rear) not on the sliding part.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    The most recent iteration of the NEA stock is a quick pull. The button no longer needs to be pushed to go from collapsed to extended. The stock arm cut is beveled now.

Also, I would have put the sling slots on the stationary portion of the stock (likely on the bottom towards the rear) not on the sliding part.

I saw that they beveled the notch to allow you to pull it free. It's clever and it is helpful, but not like the lock on the troy. The original also has the qd in the base of the knuckle, but unfortunately you have to make or buy a special qd connector. The regular ones won't fit between the stock rails. I had to cut and bend one and then re weld it.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I saw that they beveled the notch to allow you to pull it free. It's clever and it is helpful, but not like the lock on the troy. The original also has the qd in the base of the knuckle, but unfortunately you have to make or buy a special qd connector. The regular ones won't fit between the stock rails. I had to cut and bend one and then re weld it.

Depends on the swivel. Some work some don't. I meant on the bottom of that though, so facing the ground if shouldered.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    That would work way better. I wonder how their patenting system works when translated to stateside development. You likely wouldn't have to make many changes to not be in violation, considering all of these are a copy of something colt did in the 70s.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I just shot NEA a message about the Troy stock, a rep recently told me that they have some new products slated to be released in October. Just wondering are we gonna see this with their name too.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    That would work way better. I wonder how their patenting system works when translated to stateside development. You likely wouldn't have to make many changes to not be in violation, considering all of these are a copy of something colt did in the 70s.

NEA has been working with Troy for years now, I don't think they are actually copying, more like importing and selling under the Troy name.

My VZ Rail that says Troy Battle Rail all over it, is actually a NEA rail, just sold under the Troy brand name.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    NEA has been working with Troy for years now, I don't think they are actually copying, more like importing and selling under the Troy name.

My VZ Rail that says Troy Battle Rail all over it, is actually a NEA rail, just sold under the Troy brand name.

Oh, that's not what I was getting at. I would love to see an American company produce what mate and I were discussing above with a standard tube and bolt carrier, just the modified stock assembly with some of the good elements of each. It would be nice to avoid the form six process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom