• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Thanks kstone803,

I've been reading good things about it. You just never know if you get what you pay for. Sometimes they make a good product and give you a good price.

Since I'm not one of those "tacti-cool" guys I really don't need a $1,000 - $2,000 ACOG or VCOG from Trijicon. Not that I can't afford it, I'm just going to the range to practice with my kids. I'll upgrade when the zombie apocalypse starts :)
    Scarab

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I searched this thread for the Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x24mm scope and didn't see any mention of it. Does anyone have any experience or information about this scope? There are two different versions but they are both very cheap at $250 for the top-end one. Does cheap price automatically mean cheap scope? Please educate me!

Thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge.

Scarab

There was a thread about this scope earlier this month... I can't figure out how to post a link from my phone app, but this is what I posted there:

It's a great value. I had an opportunity to compare one side by side with my Vortex PST 1-4x. Only "bad" (not really bad) things I noted were:

(i) It's not a true 1x... it's darn close, but not quite. You will see this when you look through the scope.

(ii) When I compared side by side at the range against my Vortex PST 1-4x, it was noticeably darker... not a lot, but noticeably. Then again, at double the cost, it should be better. I suspect the difference would be more apparent in low light conditions.

(iii) A tiny bit of fuzz on the edge at max magnification. Again, not much, but its noticeable if you look for it.

(iv) Illumination was just OK, but about on par with my Vortex.

In sum, however, I think it represents a great value assuming that they prove to be durable. I have 3 of Bushnell's Japanese scopes (4, if you count the one I am picking up tomorrow morning) and have been consistently impressed with them. This is the first of the Bushnell Korean scopes that I have had the opportunity to check out and it seems to be of slightly lesser quality (optically speaking), but it still represents the same great value that I have come to expect from the company. Further, the lever is an AWESOME feature that I wish more scopes had.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Which one?

Burris 1-4x24 Fullfield TAC30 Illuminated Ballistic CQ 5.56 Riflescope

or

Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x24mm Riflescope w/ Throw Down PCL

Discuss.

Scarab

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Given the choices, it's a draw as far as the optic goes... But the lever would make it an easy choice: bushnell all the way.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Yes, I'm still debating but the debate will end this Friday. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE FEEDBACK with feeling, gut intuition, facts, you already own one of the two choices, etc. The Burris LOOKS like it's higher quality but looks can be deceiving. :)

Which one?

or

Discuss.

Scarab

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I have the model below the Bushnell 1-4x24 Throw down, the bushnell 1-4x 24 drop zone. My rifle has a 16" barrel and I have it mounted with a Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD Mount. The differences between the two are first focal plane vs seccond, mine doesn't have the same illuminated reticle, and the throw down lever.

Build quiality on my bushnell is very good, and i would assume the higher up the product line model would be at least as good. I have not used it in the dark, so i cannot comment to that. the glass is clear and I have not noticed any blurring or distortion at 1x or 4x. The 1x appears to be a proper 1x. At short distances ( less than 10 yards) with both eyes open I can not tell any difference between my scoped eye and not. I've shot it out to 100 yards and I would put the scope at the bottom of the list as to why my AR doesn't send all of the rounds through the same hole.

You can find the bushnell for right under $200 online and the burris is about $100 more. after looking at the burris i do like the reticle on the burris better than the brownell, It appears to be a bit more useful. Personally i find it hard to fathom taking shots out past 300 yards, never mind 500, so i would not be able to justify $100 for the more useful reticle.

The bushnell has a knob to adjust the reticle brightness while the burris has a button that you have to push differently to turn on, turn off, and adjust brightness.

If they were equally priced i would lean towards the burris (having never seen a burris scope mind you), however $200 for the bushness and $300 for the burris, i don't think the burris has enough to justify spending 50% more.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I would like to apologize for not being 100% clear. Both the Burris and the Bushnell you are choosing between are both First focal Plane. My scope is Second focal plane. First focal plane is generally more desired, and i generally a higher end feature, aka it costs more to make.

In a first focal plane scope the reticle is in front of the magnification lenses (towards the muzzle), while in a second focal plane scope the reticle is rear of the magnification lenses.

In a FFP scope when you change the magnification the reticle gets bigger and smaller in your field of view, but stays the same size in relation to the target. In a SFP scope, your reticle stays the same size in your scope but will change in relation to the target.

If your scope has a FFP like both of the scopes your are looking at, the reticle subtensions will be accurate on your target regardless of zoom. in a SFP scope, the reticle subtensions will only be accurate at a specific magnification.

I hope that clarifies the focal plane differences. In between the Burris and Bushnell you are looking at it is a non issue as they are both the same First Focal Plane.

Here is a link as well if you want more information or a visual comparison.

http://www.precisionshooting.com.au/downloads/scopesffpvssfp(1).pdf

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Which one?

or

Discuss.

Scarab

Burris is much better in my opinion. Also think about the Burris MTAC 1-4x24 as it is considered slightly brighter than the TAC30.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The Burris website says:

"1X magnification allows for close-in, both-eyes open shooting while 4X magnification allows engagement of mid–distance targets."

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fftac30.html#

So, is that considered first focal plane?

Scarab
    No they aren't. None of the Burris scopes with the Ballistic CQB reticle are first focal plane. That kind of reticle makes little sense in an FFP scope. I use a Burris MTAC (slightly better than the TAC30) and has the same reticle. At 1x the entire circle of the CQB reticle makes it like shooting a red dot, especially if you turn on the illumination. At 4x it simply becomes a BDC reticle with marks accurate out to 600 yards using any normal 55-62g mil-spec ammo. And it will hold out to 400 yards with 69-77g match ammo.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    No they aren't. None of the Burris scopes with the Ballistic CQB reticle are first focal plane. That kind of reticle makes little sense in an FFP scope. I use a Burris MTAC (slightly better than the TAC30) and has the same reticle. At 1x the entire circle of the CQB reticle makes it like shooting a red dot, especially if you turn on the illumination. At 4x it simply becomes a BDC reticle with marks accurate out to 600 yards using any normal 55-62g mil-spec ammo. And it will hold out to 400 yards with 69-77g match ammo.

I stand corrected. I misread the burris stats.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Yes, I'm still debating but the debate will end this Friday. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE FEEDBACK with feeling, gut intuition, facts, you already own one of the two choices, etc. The Burris LOOKS like it's higher quality but looks can be deceiving. :)

Which one?

or

Discuss.

Scarab

no experience with the Burris. Have a bushnell with PCL, illumination levels don't go that high, so while daylight illum you cant get it super bright. Reticle is crisp though might be a little busy. Glass appears to be comparable to some elite 3200 scopes I have. Like the PCL being built in and foldable.

Plan to acquire a primary arms 1-6 556 ACSS for my rifle and next build to go with the 7.62/300 blk version I got back in march, as I like the reticle.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Thanks to all that responded. I ended up going with the Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x24mm Riflescope w/ Throw Down PCL with a Burris QD mount from OpticsPlanets for $311 (free shipping).

Whenever I get it out to the range I'll give you my novice impressions.

Scarab

pm410

Nov 23, 2012
    Had an MTAC .. great glass, sold it off because it was heavier than what I was looking for though

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom