• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebbhead1973

Feb 7, 2013
    A friend wants to buy an HBAR on line and have it shipped to a FFL in MD, but the couple of dealers he talked to said they refused to accept the transfer. Is there a law either, for a citizen to be able to do this, or them to be able to deny the transfer. How else would one be able to purchase a firearm on line and have it shipped, if FFL's refuse ?
    He has a clean unmarked record and nothing that would not allow him to be able to purchase a firearm.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    A dealer can deny a transfer if they so pleased... There are plenty of IP's on here that will accept transfers. I suggest you give him names of shops in your area. Duffy's Gun Room has a deal going on Colt H-bar's right now. You should try talking him into supporting a local gun shop. If you don't support local gun shops, who are you going to call when you need a part or ammo in a time crunch?

I'd direct your friend to one of our friendly IPs. Duffy's, Shooter's Discount, just two I know of with great prices on HBARs. By the time your friend pays for shipping and transfer fees, he'll probably have just as much in the gun. Plus, he'll get to see Vince's tattoos, or Lou's - well, just tell him it'll be an experience.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Tell your friend that Shooters Discount has a coupla' different model Colt HBAR's starting at $779.95 cash or check pricing.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    A friend wants to buy an HBAR on line and have it shipped to a FFL in MD, but the couple of dealers he talked to said they refused to accept the transfer.

There are a couple issues. Many dealers want to sell you the gun that is hanging on their wall rather than transfer an identical gun that saves the customer $20. They are in business to sell guns, not make a fraction of the sale by doing only paperwork.

Secondly, the law is vague and confusing as to what an HBAR actually is, if it is not specifically stamped HBAR. Conflicting info from "someone" at MSP has left MD dealers confused. Just look at the threads re: S&W M&P 15

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    There are a couple issues. Many dealers want to sell you the gun that is hanging on their wall rather than transfer an identical gun that saves the customer $20. They are in business to sell guns, not make a fraction of the sale by doing only paperwork.

That has been my experience as well, and that confuses me. The FFL does not come out of pocket for inventory on a transfer, and the gun does not sit for a month before it gets purchased. I would think FFLs would price transfers such that they're indifferent between selling you the gun from inventory and transferring it. And if they have to order the gun, and charge you up front for it, that sucks for you because that's basically a transfer but now you pay sales tax. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom