• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Is it legal to swap out the upper on a HBAR and keep it unregistered?

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Okay thank you. That's what I thought, I just kept hearing mixed answers on it and knew you guys would know:thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Why can't you swap one HBAR for another HBAR?

HBAR to HBAR is fine, HBAR to a gov't profile or LW profile is a no-go.

Reading the op's post as it's worded, it seems they were asking about refitting the HBAR into a banned configuration - which is illegal to do now in MD.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    As stated, converting an H-Bar config purchased as an H-Bar into a non-H-Bar config in Marylandistan is verboten. But here are some fun questions:

• If one legally owns a pre SB281 lower (purchased as a previously regulated part) and adds an non H-Bar upper, that is OK, right?
    • If one legally owns a second pre SB281 lower and prefers to top that lower with an H-Bar upper that's OK too, right?
    • Seemingly, since the aforementioned lowers were legally acquired as previously regulated parts, swapping the uppers between the two rifles would not be a problem, right? In fact, any rifle upper placed on them would be perfectly legal, right?
    • Logic would say either lower mentioned above when fitted with a an H-Bar upper would then no longer be a regulated firearm (since there are no longer "regulated" long guns, rather there are "banned" long guns (specifically in certain AR configs.) Right? And, therefore, selling said (formerly regulated) lowers in an H-Bar config would then be perfectly legal. BUT! That lower was "not-disapproved" in the MD system - and they have a S/N record! So?
    • So, then are all pre SB281 legally acquired lowers assumed to be non-H-Bar configs?
    All points to ponder. But don't dwell on them too long. They make zero sense and will make your head hurt.

:innocent0

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As stated, converting an H-Bar config purchased as an H-Bar into a non-H-Bar config in Marylandistan is verboten. But here are some fun questions:

• If one legally owns a pre SB281 lower (purchased as a previously regulated part) and adds an non H-Bar upper, that is OK, right?
    • If one legally owns a second pre SB281 lower and prefers to top that lower with an H-Bar upper that's OK too, right?
    • Seemingly, since the aforementioned lowers were legally acquired as previously regulated parts, swapping the uppers between the two rifles would not be a problem, right? In fact, any rifle upper placed on them would be perfectly legal, right?
    • Logic would say either lower mentioned above when fitted with a an H-Bar upper would then no longer be a regulated firearm (since there are no longer "regulated" long guns, rather there are "banned" long guns (specifically in certain AR configs.) Right? And, therefore, selling said (formerly regulated) lowers in an H-Bar config would then be perfectly legal. BUT! That lower was "not-disapproved" in the MD system - and they have a S/N record! So?
    • So, then are all pre SB281 legally acquired lowers assumed to be non-H-Bar configs?
    All points to ponder. But don't dwell on them too long. They make zero sense and will make your head hurt.

:innocent0

mind-blown.jpeg

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Yea I was talking about going from HBAR to a non-HBAR barrel. I wasn't sure how it all worked, so I was just asking because I came across a pretty good deal on a M&P15 HBAR today.

The more I think about it I'd rather have an HBAR anyway. Keep maryland government out of it. I'd only be using it for target shooting. No home defense or anything like that

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... So, then are all pre SB281 legally acquired lowers assumed to be non-H-Bar configs? ...

I assume they are. That's what makes them Evil Black Rifles, isn't it?

Anyway, since we all made sure to build up all of our lowers into soon-to-be-banned configurations before 10/1/13 it's really not an issue, is it?

The more I think about it I'd rather have an HBAR anyway. ...

Just as well, since an HBAR is the only AR 15 you may buy in Maryland since 10/1/13.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

If you want your mind blown, think about this:

Criminal Law Article 4-301 states:

(b) “Assault long gun” means any assault weapon listed under § 5–101(r)(2) of the Public Safety Article.

Public Safety Article 5-101 states:

(r) “Regulated firearm” means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:
    (i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (ii) AK–47 in all forms;
    (iii) Algimec AGM–1 type semi–auto;
    (iv) AR 100 type semi–auto;
    (v) AR 180 type semi–auto;
    (vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi–auto;
    (vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi–auto;
    (viii) Auto–Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi–automatics;
    (ix) Barrett light .50 cal. semi–auto;
    (x) Beretta AR70 type semi–auto;
    (xi) Bushmaster semi–auto rifle;
    (xii) Calico models M–100 and M–900;
    (xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi–auto;
    (xiv) Claridge HI TEC C–9 carbines;
    (xv) Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle;
    (xvi) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K–1, and K–2;
    (xvii) Dragunov Chinese made semi–auto;
    (xviii) Famas semi–auto (.223 caliber);
    (xix) Feather AT–9 semi–auto;
    (xx) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle;
    (xxi) FNC semi–auto type carbine;
    (xxii) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun;
    (xxiii) Steyr–AUG–SA semi–auto;
    (xxiv) Galil models AR and ARM semi–auto;
    (xxv) Heckler and Koch HK–91 A3, HK–93 A2, HK–94 A2 and A3;
    (xxvi) Holmes model 88 shotgun;
    (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format;
    (xxviii) Manchester Arms “Commando” MK–45, MK–9;
    (xxix) Mandell TAC–1 semi–auto carbine;
    (xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;
    (xxxi) Sterling Mark 6;
    (xxxii) P.A.W.S. carbine;
    (xxxiii) Ruger mini–14 folding stock model (.223 caliber);
    (xxxiv) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber);
    (xxxv) SKS with detachable magazine;
    (xxxvi) AP–74 Commando type semi–auto;
    (xxxvii) Springfield Armory BM–59, SAR–48, G3, SAR–3, M–21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand;
    (xxxviii) Street sweeper assault type shotgun;
    (xxxix) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats;
    (xl) Unique F11 semi–auto type;
    (xli) Daewoo USAS 12 semi–auto shotgun;
    (xlii) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle;
    (xliii) Valmet M–76 and M–78 semi–auto;
    (xliv) Weaver Arms “Nighthawk” semi–auto carbine; or
    (xlv) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi–auto “Terry”.

If we look to what an ALG is, it states ALGs are firearms LISTED under 5-101(r)(2). Is a copy of an enumerated firearm one that is "listed" under 5-101(r)(2)?

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Just as well, since an HBAR is the only AR 15 you may buy in Maryland since 10/1/13.

Now I'm confused, you can only buy HBAR in MD? I thought you could get the others as long as they aren't on the ban list and they had to be registered

Take it easy on my lack of knowledge, I'm very new to this stuff and the stupid laws in MD

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Oh grasshopper, it isn't quite that easy.

For AR15's - HBAR is the ONLY barrel profile you may legally buy in MD if you didn't have an AR15 in a banned configuration prior to Oct. 1st 2013.

There are no more Regulated Long Rifles in MD for sale, those are all banned now.

And don't try to apply logic to MD firearms law, it wasn't used when the laws were written.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    What if a rifle purchased pre 10/1 as an hbar and was converted pre 10/1 into a non hbar configuration, would that have been legal pre 10/1? Would it then be required to have been registered pre 10/1? Just for the record this question does not effect any guns I own. Just curious as is I know it's illegal post 10/1 but never saw anything about converting them pre.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    What if a rifle purchased pre 10/1 as an hbar and was converted pre 10/1 into a non hbar configuration, would that have been legal pre 10/1? Would it then be required to have been registered pre 10/1? Just for the record this question does not effect any guns I own. Just curious as is I know it's illegal post 10/1 but never saw anything about converting them pre.

Converting an HBAR AR15 to a non-HBAR configuration AR15 pre 10/01/13 is legal so long as the owner/convertor of the HBAR AR15 that is to be converted is at least 21 years old and is NOT prohibited from purchasing, possessing, or owning a regulated firearm, and no need to "register" that converted AR15 firearm with MSP.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    If you want your mind blown, think about this:

Criminal Law Article 4-301 states:

Public Safety Article 5-101 states:

If we look to what an ALG is, it states ALGs are firearms LISTED under 5-101(r)(2). Is a copy of an enumerated firearm one that is "listed" under 5-101(r)(2)?

My mind is blown, can you splain' your point? :o

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013

If the listed “assault weapon” describes an entire platform such as “AK-47 in all forms” or “Colt AR-15 . . and all imitations” – then yes, a copy of an enumerated firearm arguable falls within that which is “listed”.

Now if we are asked to answer the question of whether a sig 556 is an “assault weapon listed under § 5-101(r)(2) – then there might be something to work with.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Wow this is much more complicated then I thought. Thanks for all the good info guys. I learn something new everyday

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom