• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    As a newer \Maryland Resident I never bought Long Guns being a resident of Maryland all purchases were while I was resident of other states. I live on the MD, PA, And DE boarder so I have close access to out of state shops

So I am trying trying to figure things out.

I know that you can go out of state to buy long guns

I was also told by an FFL that If I purchase out of state a magazine higher than 20 rds I can legally own it in state as a Maryland resident. Can others confirm this is correct?

I also know that some FFLs in other states won't sell out of state , misinterpret the MD laws and won't sell even if legal so I know that.

So what hangs me up is the deal between Assualt Rifle and Other rifles and If I buy a Rifle out of state from an FFL Cash and Carry what can I or cant I buy with long guns.

I was looking at a Rugger 10/22 Tactical. I don't think that comes under an assault rifle but it does come with a 25 RD magazine. So predicated on the fact that if an FFL out of state will sell it to me Cash and Carry Can I buy a Ruger 10/22 tactical and legally posses it in MD?

Also with buying long Rifles out of state what are the limits? I just read a post from Mark392001 about the AR-15 being back in stock at the York Walmart, So does that mean that I can buy any Long rifle including Assault as a Cash and Carry out of state (provided the FFL will sell it to me) and bring it back in state? Do I have to register it then? What about Private sales?

Thanks

Michael

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    As a newer \Maryland Resident I never bought Long Guns being a resident of Maryland all purchases were while I was resident of other states. I live on the MD, PA, And DE boarder so I have close access to out of state shops

So I am trying trying to figure things out.

I know that you can go out of state to buy long guns

I was also told by an FFL that If I purchase out of state a magazine higher than 20 rds I can legally own it in state as a Maryland resident. Can others confirm this is correct?

Correct as long as you purchase it out of state and bring it back in with you

I also know that some FFLs in other states won't sell out of state , misinterpret the MD laws and won't sell even if legal so I know that.

So what hangs me up is the deal between Assualt Rifle and Other rifles and If I buy a Rifle out of state from an FFL Cash and Carry what can I or cant I buy with long guns.

I was looking at a Rugger 10/22 Tactical. I don't think that comes under an assault rifle but it does come with a 25 RD magazine. So predicated on the fact that if an FFL out of state will sell it to me Cash and Carry Can I buy a Ruger 10/22 tactical and legally posses it in MD?

You should be Good to go

Also with buying long Rifles out of state what are the limits? I just read a post from Mark392001 about the AR-15 being back in stock at the York Walmart, So does that mean that I can buy any Long rifle including Assault as a Cash and Carry out of state (provided the FFL will sell it to me) and bring it back in state? Do I have to register it then? What about Private sales?

Thanks

Michael
    If it is a REGULATED firearm (MOST AR platforms with the exception of HBAR's and some of the .22 platforms) you MUST have that FFL ship it you a MD FFL

Last edited:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore

Yes, mags can't be bought or transferred in-state but you are allowed to own them. Outside of MD the 20+ restriction doesn't apply to purchases.

Gansler issued a letter last year that stated any .22s, even copies of a regulated long guns, are not "assault weapons". A rare moment of good common sense. So you can buy the Tactical out of state and bring it back.

Any regulated firearm like an AR-15 MUST go through an FFL.

Last edited:

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Gura issued a letter last year that stated any .22s, even copies of a regulated long guns, are not "assault weapons". A rare moment of good common sense. So you can buy the Tactical out of state and bring it back.

With that being said, it's a gamble whether an out of state FFL will sell you something that they believe to be regulated. Case in point, I was at the York show a couple of years ago and wanted to buy an S&W M&P 15-22 which is not regulated. Two FFLs turned me down and a third one sold it to me. I also had to convince an FFL at the Chantilly show that the Sig 522 wasn't regulated. People have had mixed results out of state.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    With that being said, it's a gamble whether an out of state FFL will sell you something that they believe to be regulated. Case in point, I was at the York show a couple of years ago and wanted to buy an S&W M&P 15-22 which is not regulated. Two FFLs turned me down and a third one sold it to me. I also had to convince an FFL at the Chantilly show that the Sig 522 wasn't regulated. People have had mixed results out of state.

in that case.. they are just trying to be in "safe" side. it's their license so let it be. just move to the next ffl that knows the laws. :D

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    The law requires the sale to be legal in BOTH States. So some out of State FFL's will not take a chance on Maryland law, they are not sure and decide not to find out. Just deal with the FFL's that know the law of BOTH States.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If it is a REGULATED firearm (All AR platforms with the exception of HBAR's and some of the .22 platforms) you MUST have that FFL ship it you a MD FFL

Really Chale127?

Care to recant that... Is the AR-10 regulated, what about the AR-57, how about an blowback AR in 9mm, what about a piston driven AR-15?

No, none of them are regulated, because they are NOT AR-15's, they may be cosmetically similar, but an AR-15 is a .223 rifle, none of the above are regulated.

So please don't state so confidently that all other AR derivatives are regulated, because they are not.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Really Chale127?

Care to recant that... Is the AR-10 regulated, what about the AR-57, how about an blowback AR in 9mm, what about a piston driven AR-15?

No, none of them are regulated, because they are NOT AR-15's, they may be cosmetically similar, but an AR-15 is a .223 rifle, none of the above are regulated.

So please don't state so confidently that all other AR derivatives are regulated, because they are not.

I stand corrected, but i dare you to find one at Walmart as the OP indicated

Fixed it...happy now?

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Thanks for the info.

I am not really in the market for an AR but I saw the one post about the person mentioning an AR at Walmart in York and I did not know to what degree he was mentioning that to MD shooters when looking here so it was kind of related to my question and wanted it clarified

I had thought anything that is on Maryland's AR list has to be done instate, either bought through an in state FFL or if purchased out of state shipped to a Maryland FFL, like Hands Guns.

Thanks

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Gura issued a letter last year that stated any .22s, even copies of a regulated long guns, are not "assault weapons". A rare moment of good common sense. So you can buy the Tactical out of state and bring it back.

Any regulated firearm like an AR-15 MUST go through an FFL.

Gura? Do you mean Gansler?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore

Attachments

• MD regulated ruling on copies.pdf
      237.8 KB · Views: 126

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had out of state FFLs refuse to sell me a bolt action rifle when they found out I lived in MD.

I have seen FFLs decide not to sell to ANYONE out of their own state.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Go see Curtis at Thunderstick Enterprise in Fawn Grove, PA. He is the owner and a resident of MD. I have purchased two cash and carry bolt action rifles from him and a regulated pistol. He knows the laws of both states and will steer you in the right direction. He and his staff have top notch customer service too.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Go see Curtis at Thunderstick Enterprise in Fawn Grove, PA. He is the owner and a resident of MD. I have purchased two cash and carry bolt action rifles from him and a regulated pistol. He knows the laws of both states and will steer you in the right direction. He and his staff have top notch customer service too.

I second this. I've purchased 2 handguns and an AR-15 (HBAR). He knows the laws of MD and PA.

And if you do purchase a regulated firearm from him, he deals with Cooters Classic Firearms. Curtis from Cooters is a Class A guy.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I have had out of state FFLs refuse to sell me a bolt action rifle when they found out I lived in MD.

I have seen FFLs decide not to sell to ANYONE out of their own state.

Its all about CYA Cover Your A$$

These dealers have a lot of laws they must follow in their home state let along trying to keep current on other states laws. They have the right to refuse the sell of a firearm to anyone they do not want to.

gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    When I still lived in MD, I bought a Colt HBAR in Arizona after having the gun shop call multiple gun shops in MD to confirm.
    WalMart's in Arizona have big graphics behind the gun counter listing what can be sold to people from each state.
    Arizona law is anything legal in your state is legal for sale. But not all states operate that way.
    I also know that Gander Mtn in Roanoke won't sell to anyone that isn't from VA.
    That's all I have to add.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ebbhead1973

Feb 7, 2013
    online Hbar?

A friend wants to buy an HBAR on line and have it shipped to a FFL in MD, but the couple of dealers he talked to said they refused to accept the transfer. Is there a law either, for a citizen to be able to do this, or them to be able to deny the transfer. How else would one be able to purchase a firearm on line and have it shipped, if FFL's refuse ?
    He has a clean unmarked record and nothing that would not allow him to be able to purchase a firearm.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Some FFL's will not accept a transfer on a firearm they can sell you themselves.

Kinda like going to a restaurant with your own food and asking them to cook it. It's up to the FFL. They cannot be compelled to accept a transfer.

IANAL.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Some FFL's will not accept a transfer on a firearm they can sell you themselves.

Kinda like going to a restaurant with your own food and asking them to cook it. It's up to the FFL. They cannot be compelled to accept a transfer.

IANAL.

THIS
    With a perfect analogy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom