Woo, New (Old) FN-49! But a Surprising Problem Arises...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    So I found an FN-49 for cheap...like, for SKS money...

It's an Egyptian...no stock badge, tho. :(

The stock is in pretty rough shape, and has an obvious repair...but the metal is not too shabby. But it was absolutely filthy. The barrel was a sewer pipe, too. A lot of Hoppes and a lot of scrubby-scrubby and it seems to be reasonable now, tho...

y1NrMp.jpg

MhbkHx.jpg

PFKXX1.jpg

xFujsT.jpg

jUIvBy.jpg

EM0oqG.jpg

gCXxol.jpg

GBqPgz.jpg

Anyway, I was wrestling around with it, scrubbing the receiver with one of those annoyingly not-sized-properly stupid toothbrushes and all of a sudden something feels loose. So I stop and look at it...wiggle here, wiggle there, wiggle the barrel...and the SOB starts to unscrew. O.O

So now I can't shoot the MFer until I get it headspaced and tightened. FML.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    As many times as the Egyptians dropped them it probably loosened the barrel:D
    Those 80 buck NOS barrels that Ken792 look like a deal.
    Nice pick up.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Stock can probably benefit from some boiling water and steam to raise dents and flush off dirt. Then, give it some BLO or something.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations on joining the FN49 club! The FN49 head spaces in the same manner as the FAL but the one down side is getting locking shoulders for them. Not as easy to find though Apex has em (curiously they don't list sizes so I'm not sure how you are going to get the proper sized LS).
    My best recommendation is to contact Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems for a proper install and head space. He has a long and stellar reputation in the FAL world for builds and also does FN49s.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Stock can probably benefit from some boiling water and steam to raise dents and flush off dirt. Then, give it some BLO or something.

No dents, but it was unimaginably filthy and had some sort of weird goop painted on it (you can see the brush marks in the previous pic of the butt plate). Except for the oak patch, it's really a beautiful piece of wood.

One day I'll feel brave enough to peel that oak out and replace it with some walnut.

Cleaning complete (for now):

IhODG0.jpg

6cRtAz.jpg

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I enjoy my FN49's but I haven't fired my Egyptian. We should arrange a range meet up to clean the cobwebs out.

Sirex