• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbreeze

Most Exalted Empress
    Mar 30, 2009
    PG County
    Aftermarket titanium grips with torx screws on a Springfield 1911. One keeps popping loose. I got a replacement from the mfr, and installed it with some blue loctite, but the screw is just too small for the hole -- and came out again. Not sure where to go next. JB Weld?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is the grip screw bushing in place? Is the bushing correctly sized for the screw?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I would look for a larger screw with the same threads rather than putting JB weld on it. Maybe they make a helicoil that will fit in there.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I have an old 1911 Springfield with one of the threaded holes in the butt of the pistol for the grip stripped. It still operates fine, but I would need a smith to fix it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    So is it the screw or the bushing which is popping out? If the bushing keeps popping out and the bushing threads are intact then the frame bushing threads are stripped out. An oversized threaded bushing will be needed. The tap to cut the threads will be needed to do this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I assume you tried that screw in one of the other holes to make sure it is not the screw?

If the screw is coming all the way out, it is the screw or the hole in e bushing. If the grip is coming loose at that location, without the screw coming out, it is the hole in the frame for the bushing.

Cbreeze

Most Exalted Empress
    Mar 30, 2009
    PG County
    There is no bushing on the screws of these grips, only torx screws. The grips are these: http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...auto-ultra-slim-titanium-grips-prod27494.aspx. I assume there must be threads in the receiver, but as the grips are in place, can't see them. The old screw fell out of this hole, and then the replacement screw sent by the mfr of the grips (which would not screw in solidly or stay not withstanding Loctite), so it may be that the threads on the receiver are stripped, if there are threads. (These aftermarket grips replaced wood grips that did have bushings and screws, so perhaps there are no threads . . .? yet the other screws seem to be solidly in place). It may be that this hole is just a tad larger than the other holes, for some reason.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    do the original screws stay in tight?

take the grip off and snap a pic.. should look something like this.

you may need to replace the bushing, circled in red. careful though, it may be staked from behind.

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
      IMG_0938.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 277

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    You didn't by chance get screws for thin grips did you? The reason I asks is, I have thin grips, and have to look for them.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    It's time to take the grip off and look and see what's going on. It's unlikely that they would furnish you with one undersized screw twice in a row. No to the JB weld, your the Empress, not Bubba

Cbreeze

Most Exalted Empress
    Mar 30, 2009
    PG County
    Took grips off. There are no bushings, on the frame or attached to the screws. Torx screws screw directly into the frame. That's it. There are no threads on the frame, just simple holes. Rather than furnishing two undersized screws, it may be that that that particular hole in the frame is a smidgen bigger than the others . . .

Attachments

• 1911 frame.jpg
      1911 frame.jpg
      83.3 KB · Views: 190
    • T25 torx screws.jpg
      T25 torx screws.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 193
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Talk about serious cheaping out.

I would either do it myself, or have a gunsmith install bushing. Drill out and tap current holes to fit grip screw bushings.

They are there for a reason, the frame is VERY thin there and VERY easy to strip out the threads.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Has that pistol been worked on? Slide stop and thumb safety don't look original.

Those screws look like they screw right into the bushing threads of the frame. The threads in that particular hole in the frame are probably stripped. The threads in the stripped hole also look like the wear is toward the top of the frame. Screws holes in that grip panel not spaced properly? Something to check.

Options:
    - call the grip manufacturer and/or SA and see if they have oversized screws. You will also need the tap;
    - research a heli coil for it;
    - Call SA and see if it is prudent to use bushings in that pistol. If that is an aluminum frame? I do recall hearing something about SA aluminum frames not using bushings. If bushing capable, tap for oversize grip screw bushing and use grips which use bushings. Do the titanium grips have a counter bore on the backside of the grips?
    -

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Loctite doesn't work unless the fit is tight. Two reasons, one is the basic structural strength of the compound. Secondly, because it cures due to teh LACK of okygen. If the fit is too loose, it is not sealed enough for the Loctite to cure.

Henkel does make products designed to secure loose fits, but those are for unthreaded connections, like a bearing on a shaft. And the fit can't be too loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom