• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    The Nat Geo show commercial showed a quick 2 second shot of someone shooting a hex mosin. Just thought it was neat.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm guessing that was Agnes Hailstone, the Eskimo gal.
    Great show.

My favorite show right now. Her husband Chip is a member over at Survivalist Boards and Gun Boards. He was talking about why the Mosin is his top pick for arctic conditions and apparently uses surplus ball ammo for a lot of his hunting. He goes by Caribou on those forums I believe.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    She often shoots a Finn M39. She has a Mosin Sniper and they have a Nagant Revolver I've seen and I think I may have spotted a Tok once.
    Contrast that to the Lone guy up in Wiseman who had an AR out hunting once and it froze up on him once hunting Carabou.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm watching it right now on DVR...that dude with the dogs is out mushing on the frozen tundra and over the frozen water bits... Chip is talking about carabou again... I don't know how the heck these guys survive in such conditions, must be very rewarding in some ways to live such a sustainable and back to basics existence.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've never seen this show, but I Googled it. It's clearly an M39.

cPbsOcc.png

Screenshot_2013-06-13-22-49-28_zps4a575806.png

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've been watching it, cool show, pun intended. :)

I thought I recognized that rifle, the wife (pictured above) is the hunter and a very good shot. One episode they kill (letting her daughter also shoot) several caribou in a herd swimming to cross a river. They skin and eat or trade them all, no waste.

Good show, check it out.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've been watching it, cool show, pun intended. :)

I thought I recognized that rifle, the wife (pictured above) is the hunter and a very good shot. One episode they kill (letting her daughter also shoot) several caribou in a herd swimming to cross a river. They skin and eat or trade them all, no waste.

Good show, check it out.

If it's the same episode I saw, most of them were shot in the head with a .22 (at close range) the Mosin came into play little if at all.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That M39 gets plenty a work out in other episodes and she is a pretty good offhand shooter with it. Watch enough episodes and you will see when they zero the Mosin sniper.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    The show is okay. not great not bad, nothing groundbreaking like Ice Road truckers in 2007, season 1. In fact the networks have jumped hard on the Alaskan bandwagon with a bunch of shows with that focus over the last 2 years. Alaska State Troopers, Survival in Alaska, Alaska's Last Frontier just to name a few.

Here's my take on Life Below zero in a nutshell - The woman Sue who has a camp over there is always complaining. The Hailstone's are hunting and making cloths, I could swear they add one more kid with each passing episode, no wonder they need so much seal fat! lol ;-) The dog musher is always talking about how hard his life and how dogs are like people, over and over and over again. The only one I like watching is that dude in isolation in the camp, I learn something new every time with that dude, last episode he showed how to make a lamp from melted caribou fat and shrubs for heaven's sake... a skill I never hope to use but good to know next time in in Alaska, which is like never, I'm tropical folk, no cold places for me!

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    LBZ is a great show and Agnes always shoots without a scope. Yep, seems like they add a kid or two every year.

The guy that flies the plane is always breaking down on his snowmobile.:ohnoes:

The guy who lives alone I believe has a family in town, he likes to say I can take a bath at -20 degrees below zero and sometimes at -50 below zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom