• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wisdom

Aug 1, 2014
    Hi,

I've read a few topics in these forums and you all seem so very knowledgeable. I'm certain it's going to be a walk in the park helping me out :)

Around 3 years ago, I remember going on a trip with a few friends of mine, it was an outdoor centre/village where we did several outdoor activities including shooting an air rifle, as well as compound bow. I did quite well in both and it was really exciting. I've been thinking about that moment for a few days now and I would really like to get a bow and have some fun with it. When I say "fun" I don't mean doing something immature by any means.

I live in London and ideally I would like to buy from a company based in the UK/Europe. I've found one website which seems to be quite good, good as in the prices seem to be cheap as I've compared the same items on other websites. Anyway, let's get down to business! I don't have too much cash to work with, but the 2 items below are within my budget:

Item #1
    Item #2

I cannot really spend anymore than that (approx. 250$ USD)

If I wanted to go for option #1, I would have all the necessary accessories, however if I went for #2, I would have a visually (in my opinion) nicer looking bow.
    Although I would need to buy these items (?): arrow release, protection for wrists, as well as some arrows.

D3V1L

Dec 26, 2012
    Elkridge
    The best protection for your wrist is proper form. If you hold the bow correctly you will not get wrist slap. Your elbow needs to be slightly bent and pivoted outward.

As for arrows, if you have any local shops near by they often have used arrows for cheap in loose barrels. Look for spines that are compatible with the weight on your bow and just make sure there longer than your draw. The more uniform in length they are the more consistent they will be when shooting.

Another good source for cheap beginner gear would be archery forums. You should check out http://archeryinterchange.com/ there UK based and i often try to look for gear there that isn't readily available here.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Welcome to the forum Wisdom!

I dint Jane anything to add other than I'm subscribing to the thread as well. I've been tempted to get in to this activity for a while now- just haven't bit the bullet arrow yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wisdom, welcome from one new-b to another. I have 30+ years bow hunting experience. In archery, you get what you pay for. Having said that, I recommend item #2. It has more of a parallel limb design which tends to make a better shooting bow. There are a lot of other factors to consider but this is a good place to start. Good luck!

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    You do not need wrist protection or a release. I grew up learning to shoot fingers. Actually hunted for over a decade without a release. And as far as wrist protection, what devil said is correct, make sure to maintain proper form and you won't have to worry about hitting your forearm.

Pick any bow which fits your budget and is comfortable for you to shoot, i.e. make sure it is the correct draw length.

As far as arrows go, this is where Devil and I differ. The arrow is one of the most important aspects of your bow setup. I would not skimp on the arrow. Make sure to get the same spline, nock, fletchings, inserts, and tips for all your arrows to ensure consistency. Do some research and figure out what manufacturer you like and then find the proper spline in accordance with the bow draw weight and length of the arrow.

87Theworld

Nov 2, 2011
    Howard County
    If price is a concern don't forget about used bows. You can probably find ones a year or two older for a lower price. I just started archery about three years ago. I purchased a used bow to find out what I really liked in a bow. You need to know your length of pull. I started without the arm protector. I did hit my forearm first time shooting but after that hit I remember everytime to move my forearm. Lol

Wisdom

Aug 1, 2014
    Let's say that I've decided to go for THIS option. Would the bow be suitable for me? Considering that I'm 6'0, weight probably makes no difference but I'm ~160lbs.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Lets start with by looking at a list of all the Archery Clubs around London...

http://www.onesite.co.uk/find/archery.htm

1st, You will need a place to shoot your bow...

2nd, Bows are fitted to you like a suit of clothes, primarily draw weight & length of draw...

I'd visit some of your local clubs & ask them for some recommendations of what to buy & where to buy it LOCALLY...

Bows need to be adjusted & repaired & re-sized as you become more experience...

Hope this is helpful...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Rule number 1. Never buy a bow without first shooting it. Preferably under direct supervision of an experienced archer.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Lets start with by looking at a list of all the Archery Clubs around London...

http://www.onesite.co.uk/find/archery.htm

1st, You will need a place to shoot your bow...

2nd, Bows are fitted to you like a suit of clothes, primarily draw weight & length of draw...

I'd visit some of your local clubs & ask them for some recommendations of what to buy & where to buy it LOCALLY...

Bows need to be adjusted & repaired & re-sized as you become more experience...

Hope this is helpful...

+1 :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom