• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    I got around to making a "silent" pellet trap. I can't remember where I saw this on the web, but it seemed like a good idea. The box is ~2.5" deep, and an 8.5x11 piece of paper fits perfectly and is held in place by the clipboard (which slips into a dado on the inside of the box).

I first tried using plumbers putty, but found that even my 500 fps Daisy M853 (CMP) put an impressive crater in it, and let the pellet hit the back of the box. After some more research on the web, I went with Duct Seal instead. The duct seal works very nicely. Pellets only just bury themselves. Anyone need 5 lbs of plumbers putty? :)

Now that I have a pellet trap, I can shoot indoors. :) My wife wasn't too happy when I explained that the only 10m distance in our house is from our dining room into our family room.:innocent0 The dining table makes a nice rest though, and the pellet trap sits at the perfect height on top of the piano. :D

Attachments

• DSCN0531-1.jpg
      DSCN0531-1.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 598

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Is duct seal also electricians putty? I used 'monkey sh!t' when I built my youngest's air rifle range at home.

Rexel sells it for less than a dollar a pound and iirc I used 10 pounds with a double depth underneath the sighter bulls.

e8ypadad.jpg

ymuny6u5.jpg

First shot into the putty and the pellet skirt sits just below the putty's surface

--
    Shamr0ck

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    Is duct seal also electricians putty? I used 'monkey sh!t' when I built my youngest's air rifle range at home.

It's the same stuff I think. I got mine at Lowes. $1 per pound sounds like a good price though. I have 6 lbs in my box (its pretty much in the thickness it comes in - I peeled the paper backing off though). I figured I would add a bit more if I get a higher powered air rifle.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Nice! First time I've seen anything like that.

My Dad used to make a similat trap using rows of t-shirt cloth and a small catch-pan at the bottom. BB's and pellets used to fall right the to bottom for easy collecting. Had to change the fabric often, but that wasn't a big deal.

HazyDayz

Jul 17, 2014
    Washington County
    I'll have to look into this. I have a 980fps pellet rifle and 600fps Co2 BB pistol that I'd love to be able to shoot again, but don't really have a place where I can outdoors. Everything I've tried just blows right through. I miss my 20 acres in Mississippi sometimes.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    When I grew up, we had a big round metal tin with a rolled up sweater in it as trap for the pellet rifle. The targets were just pinned to the surface of the sweater. Every once in a while, we would pull the sweater out of the can, shake it into a bag and collect all the lead.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Saw this same set up in a members basement. I use an empty liquor box with a few old phone books in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom