• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    At putting a fixed blade knife together. Bought a blade blank last week, mounted the wood (Ironwood) Friday and let the epoxy cure 24 hours. Sunday I started shaping the handle, still have some finish sanding to do.
    19850537339_f476a6cf68_c.jpg

19416218063_9278c9fd82_c.jpg

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Nice looking knife.

I have a few blades which I need to do sometime. You get good enough maybe you can teach me how to do it :D

Thanks for the complement.

Sure I can help, not to hard of task but you must have patience. I have a few more to do, a camp knife for my wife. One of these days I'll forge my own blades.

Last edited:

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Thanks for the complement.

Sure I can help, not to hard of task but you must have patients. I have a few more to do, a camp knife for my wife. One of these days I'll forge my own blades.

You aren't operating on the 'patients' are you? With that blade, must take incredible patience!! :innocent0

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    So is it a completely finished blade and you just made the handle?

Yes, blade blanks are a finished blade. Yes, I made the handle from a block of wood 1-1/2"X1-1/2"X5".
    Then cut it in half, drilled 3 holes in the wood for the three brass pins, epoxied the wood and pins to the blade.
    Next I shaped the handle by hand with a rasp and sand paper.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yes, blade blanks are a finished blade. Yes, I made the handle from a block of wood 1-1/2"X1-1/2"X5".
    Then cut it in half, drilled 3 holes in the wood for the three brass pins, epoxied the wood and pins to the blade.
    Next I shaped the handle by hand with a rasp and sand paper.

Ok. I've seen some that they called blanks that were not tempered or sharpened. Where did you get it?

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I've done a few over the years and really enjoyed the effort. Here's the list so far: a 6" bowie for Cowboy Action, a 5" camp knife for my son, a coffin-handled boot knife, and now just finishing a 5" tactical/fighting knife (the image below).

SS459-1.jpg

My first experiment was re-handling a cheap kitchen knife to see how it would go. In that case, I used some teak I had laying around from a boat project.

I've gotten the blades and supplies from Jantz. Their website is http://www.knifemaking.com/

JoeR

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the comments.
    Being as this blade is high carbon steel and will rust, I decided to force a patina with white vinegar. I think it turned out well.

21194999306_778e27b883_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom