• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hugsmindy

Feb 11, 2013
    Just curious....how many people keep a round chambered in their concealed carry weapon that does not have a safety? How many feel this is too dangerous?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Why would you carry a gun without a round in the chamber. Carry a rock instead.

hugsmindy

Feb 11, 2013
    What CCW weapons don't have a safety,per se? Just curious.

Neither my Ruger LCp or my Glock 26 have safeties. I've always carried it (of course not in the lovely state of MD :mad54: ) with a round in the chamber, but a friend wanted to debate the safety issues of that with me. So, I was just curious how many do and how many don't.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Just curious....how many people keep a round chambered in their concealed carry weapon that does not have a safety? How many feel this is too dangerous?

Why would having a round chambered be unsafe (with our without a 'safety')?

If you are concealed carrying, it would be assumed that it's for some sort of protection, yes? Having to draw and chamber a round safely while trying to engage an imminent threat is far less 'safe' than drawing a weapon with a round chambered.

hugsmindy

Feb 11, 2013
    Why would having a round chambered be unsafe (with our without a 'safety')?

If you are concealed carrying, it would be assumed that it's for some sort of protection, yes? Having to draw and chamber a round safely while trying to engage an imminent threat is far less 'safe' than drawing a weapon with a round chambered.

Agreed...the argument was that you could fire the gun unintentionally as you were un-holstering it. I disagreed and demonstrated my Flashbang Bra/Ruger draw....no finger near the trigger at all.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    I carry with first round chambered.
    The mindset is if you are carrying, you will be using it to protect yourself or others, not for shows or scare off someone. A split second decision to draw your firearm, adding time to chamber can be give opportunity to your attacker.

If you are just starting to carry and worry about this, it is ok to practice carry without 1 in chamber, but you need to get comfortable and start CC loaded asap.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    If you don't feel comfortable or confident enough to carry with a round in the chamber...I'd argue that you probably shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    This was discussed in this thread a few years ago. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=69394

I feel that if you are going to carry a firearm, either concealed or open, it should be ready to use when drawn. The time you loose "readying" your weapon after you draw could cost you your life. All standard current law enforcement training teaches that your duty carry must be duty loaded with one in the chamber and a full mag inserted and all safety's off if the weapon has them. It is also stipulated that duty weapons must be carried in an approved holster with the trigger guard covered.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The key is to carry the gun in a proper holster. That holster should retain the gun and securely cover the trigger guard.

I will add that anyone that carries should practice/train as they would fight. If you are not comfortable with a loaded chamber then you need to be very proficient with racking the slide during the draw.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Almost Old Sarge. It's not universal to carry with safety disengaged if so equiped. Some agencies leave to Ofc choice , and some recomend safety on. But as most of the popular service pistols aren't so equipped , it is largely moot.

And to the origional question , if it's on your body , it needs to be loaded.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Neither my Ruger LCp or my Glock 26 have safeties. I've always carried it (of course not in the lovely state of MD :mad54: ) with a round in the chamber, but a friend wanted to debate the safety issues of that with me. So, I was just curious how many do and how many don't.

I do not like external safeties and tend not to buy handguns that have them. I always carry with one in the chamber. I safety is my brain. Don't finger the trigger and the gun won't go bang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom