• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'm buying 2 of the MK9 stripped lowers. Is a standard AR15 parts kit (pick your brand) what I need to buy for a 9mm, or are there differences I need to be aware of? Is it better to run a dedicated 9mm FCG or buy the CMMG "ramped" BCG? Thanks! :party29:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I am no expert, but I believe they are the same, you just need to make sure you have the correct hammer. Someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Also no expert, but I do recall that some 9mm bolts use standard hammers, some use specific hammers. So you need to decide on your bolt configuration, and work backwards.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Any milspec ar lpk is gtg. Do not need the bolt catch as it is already on your lower. No special hammer needed with ramped bolt. (CMMG and Colt)

Also need a 9mm buffer

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Great! Confirms my thinking. This is a dedicated 9mm lower, so I may just go with the 9mm hammer as I can't convert to 5.56. Will just come down to pricing I guess. Those ramped BCG's aren't cheap!

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Just make sure you don't get a notched hammer... it will not work. The gun will lock up every time you try to charge it.

BAD:
    10qdudg.jpg

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Great! Confirms my thinking. This is a dedicated 9mm lower, so I may just go with the 9mm hammer as I can't convert to 5.56. Will just come down to pricing I guess. Those ramped BCG's aren't cheap!

Spend the extra money on a ramped bolt. Only $20-40 more. Down the road you will want to upgrade your trigger, without a ramped bolt your choices will be much more limited.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Same. I went with the standard CMMG LPK (any mil spec LPK will work), CMMG ramped bolt, and a Spike's ST9X buffer. If you have a spare carbine buffer, you can also buy a 9mm spacer in lieu of a dedicated 9mm buffer.

The spacer is so you can use a carbine spring and 9mm buffer in a rifle length buffer tube. Not to replace a 9mm buffer.

Without a 9mm buffer you will break your bolt catch.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    The spacer is so you can use a carbine spring and 9mm buffer in a rifle length buffer tube. Not to replace a 9mm buffer.

Without a 9mm buffer you will break your bolt catch.

I agree with part of this...if you run a regular buffer (especially a lighter one) by itself, you risk breaking the bolt catch. Some 9mm buffers (Spikes, Slash) are longer than standard buffers, and some (RRA, Colt) are the same length as standard 5.56 buffers. The spacers can be used in carbine length tubes in conjunction with the RRA/Colt 9mm buffers, or heavy carbine buffers to limit bolt travel. The extended length 9mm buffers eliminate the need for spacers in carbine length tubes. From Spike's website...the 9mm buffer spacer "will go perfect with the ST-T2 tungsten buffer." I've heard of people running standard carbine buffers and never having an issue with breaking the bolt catch. I've also heard of people using standard length 9mm buffers and breaking the bolt catch. With a carbine length tube, you can go with the extended 9mm buffer (Spikes ST9X or Slash) or the standard length (RRA/Colt 9mm, heavy carbine) with a spacer. Just not the extended 9mm buffer with the spacer (this may work in a rifle length tube...I don't know).

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I agree with part of this...if you run a regular buffer (especially a lighter one) by itself, you risk breaking the bolt catch. Some 9mm buffers (Spikes, Slash) are longer than standard buffers, and some (RRA, Colt) are the same length as standard 5.56 buffers. The spacers can be used in carbine length tubes in conjunction with the RRA/Colt 9mm buffers, or heavy carbine buffers to limit bolt travel. The extended length 9mm buffers eliminate the need for spacers in carbine length tubes. From Spike's website...the 9mm buffer spacer "will go perfect with the ST-T2 tungsten buffer." I've heard of people running standard carbine buffers and never having an issue with breaking the bolt catch. I've also heard of people using standard length 9mm buffers and breaking the bolt catch. With a carbine length tube, you can go with the extended 9mm buffer (Spikes ST9X or Slash) or the standard length (RRA/Colt 9mm, heavy carbine) with a spacer. Just not the extended 9mm buffer with the spacer (this may work in a rifle length tube...I don't know).

Thanks. This is actually the best explanation of this I have read.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    No problem...I'm no expert, just finished building a 9mm AR myself recently so I've done a lot of research lately. I've read a lot of conflicting information on buffers. Different rifle/ammo combinations act differently. Some people run H/H2 buffers by themselves without issue. Some people run the RRA or Colt style 9mm buffers and break bolt catches. Some people say adding a spacer and/or Wolff XP spring helped their rifle to run smoother. IMO, the best option is to go with the extended length 9mm buffer or buffer-spacer combo in the first place (Spikes ST9X and ST-T2/spacer combo are both around $50). I'd rather drop the extra $20 or $30 from the start, and not have to replace broken bolt catches while I try to experiment to find the right combination.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I'm building a 9mm right now. I've spent 2 mos gathering parts and still need to buy my buffer. That and my trigger are all that is left. Think I might be going with a Heavy Buffers Q buffer and a Wolf spring.
    If not then the Spikes ST-9X

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom