• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    For those of you wishing to become NRA Basic Pistol Instructors - there are currently quite a few benefits.

1. You can teach the NRA Basic Pistol Class
    2. After successful completion, you can apply to the Maryland State Police for a Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor LICENSE. This is done entirely online and no fee or fingerprints are a required.
    3. MSP is on record that the INTENT to conduct business meets the G&S requirements for issuance of a MD handgun permit. (Montoya v. MSP)
    4. A MSP Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor License is a State issued license.

We have seen numerous MSP Certified or Licensed Qualified Handgun Instructors receive Maryland Handgun Permits. Restrictions typically read something like: while actively engaged as a/financial transactions as a/ Certified Firearms Instructor, or while transporting firearms or ammunition.

All classes held at http://www.frederickiwla.org

NRA Basic Instructor Training (Basic Instructor Training) $75
    Thursday, September 3 & Friday, September 4 - 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m both days.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor $100
    Saturday, September 5 - 8 a.m. to Finish

To Register or for more info:
    http://frederickiwla.org/uploads/Training.pdf
    Ben Kelkye
    301-401-6262

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    This is very interesting, I was told being an MSPQHI was not a reason for a permit by the MSP.

Hopefully things changed for the better.

TD

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    This is very interesting, I was told being an MSPQHI was not a reason for a permit by the MSP.

Hopefully things changed for the better.

TD

There are several people on this board with MHP's based solely on MSPQHI License status.

Do you really expect the MSP to provide you with accurate, unbiased info?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The QHI per se doesn't entitle you. The Training Business that you will be conducting with it would.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The QHI per se doesn't entitle you. The Training Business that you will be conducting with it would.

Respectfully, that's wrong.

I could name at least three people who teach, who do so without charge, or as part of a non-profit org team.

None of them have a "training business", and all have MHPs.

They all have a palpable need.

Joshluseal

Sep 5, 2013
    Behind cover
    Perhaps my thinking is limited, but the restrictions seem to make it a part time permit. If your not engaged in those specific activities, you are not authorized to carry. Again, I am somewhat new to this shell game so please be gentle. :)

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Perhaps my thinking is limited, but the restrictions seem to make it a part time permit. If your not engaged in those specific activities, you are not authorized to carry. Again, I am somewhat new to this shell game so please be gentle. :)
    You're missing the part about "while transporting guns or ammo". Any time you put a gun on your hip, you are within your restrictions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    For those of you wishing to become NRA Basic Pistol Instructors - there are currently quite a few benefits.

1. You can teach the NRA Basic Pistol Class
    2. After successful completion, you can apply to the Maryland State Police for a Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor LICENSE. This is done entirely online and no fee or fingerprints are a required.
    3. MSP is on record that the INTENT to conduct business meets the G&S requirements for issuance of a MD handgun permit. (Montoya v. MSP)
    4. A MSP Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor License is a State issued license.

We have seen numerous MSP Certified or Licensed Qualified Handgun Instructors receive Maryland Handgun Permits. Restrictions typically read something like: while actively engaged as a/financial transactions as a/ Certified Firearms Instructor, or while transporting firearms or ammunition.

All classes held at http://www.frederickiwla.org

NRA Basic Instructor Training (Basic Instructor Training) $75
    Thursday, September 3 & Friday, September 4 - 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m both days.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor $100
    Saturday, September 5 - 8 a.m. to Finish

To Register or for more info:
    http://frederickiwla.org/uploads/Training.pdf
    Ben Kelkye
    301-401-6262

:lol::lol2::lol::lol2::lol::lol2:

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I am also new to this. Would you only be able to carry while instructing a class?

One would not carry a loaded weapon while instructing a class. The only time one would have a loaded weapon is at the range making sure it's either holstered, muzzle pointed in a safe direction or when shooting. If MSP issues Wear & Carry permits to Instructors it most likely will lean more towards transport/financial end. Chris

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    You're missing the part about "while transporting guns or ammo". Any time you put a gun on your hip, you are within your restrictions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I used to use this reasoning, but one of my instructor friends was told by the MSP that you must be transporting at least one other gun besides your carry piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom