• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    So I just got my bushnell trs-25 in the mail and I decided to mount to my mpap 92. Installed the picatinny top rail yesterday. Apperently I tightened it too much cause it sheared in half. Surprised it broke in 2 pieces like that. Does anyone know where I can get another bolt ?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I found this on gunloads.com. If it is indeed true, save your gas, Home Depot, Ace, True Value and Lowes won't have it

I am posting this here because there is misleading information on the internet on an "ar-15 website" that I am not affiliated with nor can easily register on to correct the information.

The Bushnell TRS25 has a screw for mounting to a weaver type base and it breaks easily if you use a warne torque wrench for scoperings and subject it to oversized handgun recoil.

That other site comes up high on a google search and is the only site that states the thread pitch so that replacements can be sourced: #6-40, 1.25" long.

That is NOT the thread pitch of the TRS-25!!

The true thread pitch is M3.5-.6. Yes, it is metric. Thread pitch is .6mm which loosely translates to 42.25 TPI. I can see how the other guy got confused. Also turns out an M3.5 major diameter is within .001" of the major diameter of a #6 screw.

Anyways, this mixup caused a week and a half delay in repair here and I'm the proud owner of an extra box of useless 6-40 screws. 1.25" is also too long, needs to be something like 25 or 28mm long. I have some correct screws on the way now, 25mm and 40mm to cut down if the 25mm is just a smidge too short. They had no 30's.

So hopefully now when people google "Bushnell TRS-25 thread pitch" they will be directed here instead, and see the true pitch of the screw.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?237645-Bushnell-TRS-25-main-screw-thread-pitch

Last edited:

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Thanks for all the quick replies,that's why I love this forum. I have a lowes,depot,ace and fastenal in cockeysville. I'll try to find the correct metric thread pitch to finish this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Fastenal in cockeysville only had 25mm long. This is harder than I thought. Lol. Haven't made it to ace yet though

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Sorry it's been awhile since update. Since the screw broke in half I needed a new mounting clamp also. Called bushnell and they sent me a new bolt and mounting clamp. Think it was about $9 including shipping. Had no luck in finding the right bolt anywhere , so if this happens to you you're better off just calling bushnell and ordering parts

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Its tough to find small thread, short length standard and metric screws with the right head locally. McMaster, MSC are some of the best places but usually you can't just order 1 of them. They come in boxes of hundred, etc.

The big box stores have 6-32, 8-32, etc. but once you get 4-40 and some of the small metric, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom