• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I just received the new 150 from Polymer80, I'm kind of concerned. It doesn't look like any of the photos or videos I've seen. It's very a very shiny black and feels like a cheap toy, not a polymer like a glock frame or something like that. Anyone know of that's an error?

The BATFE should be along shortly to answer any and all questions. It seems they have developed interest in the 80% receiver movement in recent days. :innocent0

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The BATFE should be along shortly to answer any and all questions. It seems they have developed interest in the 80% receiver movement in recent days. :innocent0

The receiver made by Polymer 80 is not the same as the ones that are made by Ares. Ares has the areas to be drilled out in a different color polymer. I just checked the Polymer 80 website and its receivers are all black. It's website has a great set of instructions on how to finish the thing and they sell what appears to be a decent jog for it.

I still think it is illegal to finish a 80% lower in Maryland, but we are going to need a test case to flesh the issue out completely re: AR pistols and building an HBAR from an 80% receiver.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Well that is a pretty elaborate answer right there. So, if I can finish an 80% lower, thereby possessing an AR receiver, and THEN build an AR pistol or AR-HBAR, I should not have any issue whatsoever buying a stripped lower, correct?

2 weeks ago I convinced an FFL to do just that. Sell complete lower receivers as 4473 cash and carry. Since it is illegal to buy/build a lightweight AR-15 in MD. It would mean that all lowers would be for an HBAR build ONLY. The pistol aspect is less clear as you can only sell pistols on the MD handgun roster.

But his lawyer dissauded him as you KNOW they would be some f*cktard would build a lightweight AR and MSP and ATF would come down hard.

The legalities are clear we now simply need someone willing to be the guniea pig.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    2 weeks ago I convinced an FFL to do just that. Sell complete lower receivers as 4473 cash and carry. Since it is illegal to buy/build a lightweight AR-15 in MD. It would mean that all lowers would be for an HBAR build ONLY. The pistol aspect is less clear as you can only sell pistols on the MD handgun roster.

But his lawyer dissauded him as you KNOW they would be some f*cktard would build a lightweight AR and MSP and ATF would come down hard.

The legalities are clear we now simply need someone willing to be the guniea pig.

Just because I convince the guy next door to rob a bank does not mean it is legal. lol

That is the thing, we need somebody that is willing to be the test case or MSI/AGC/NRA to pony up the representation to set up a declaratory judgment action wherein an FFL enters into a contract for the delivery of stripped lowers and then backs out of it because of the law. Question there is whether the buyer would be breaking the law in attempting to purchase a banned firearm.

Actually completing the transaction puts the FFL at risk of losing his livelihood, freedom, and his 2nd Amendment Right and the buyer at risk of losing his freedom and his 2nd Amendment Right. Don't think too many people are going to be willing to roll the dice on that one even if the legal fees are pre-funded through an organization.

Edit to add: If an FFL were to sell stripped lowers cash and carry for HBAR builds only, I am 100% certain that somebody would take one of those stripped lowers and build a banned configuration with it. No doubt in my mind. Maybe the MSP could agree to allow the sale of stripped that are specifically marked HBAR. I wouldn't hold my breath on it though.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Make your own phone calls and get your own answers, I have and will continue to follow the laws and only build legal firearms.

And you should do this while you have they chance as there is a bill coming down the pipeline to prevent this, since the last one did not.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    I wouldnt purchase any of these until Polymer 80 sends one of these lowers to the ATF to verify and receive a letter that they believe it is in fact a non-firearm 80%.

my .02

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Make your own phone calls and get your own answers, I have and will continue to follow the laws and only build legal firearms.

And you should do this while you have they chance as there is a bill coming down the pipeline to prevent this, since the last one did not.

Yeah, unless you have something in writing, good luck with that. Hopefully, the judge will believe your side of it when whomever you are quoting denies ever telling you what you allege he/she said. So, my advice to you would be at the very minimum to send something in writing, certified mail with delivery confirmation, to said person confirming the conversation and exactly what his/her position was regarding the transfer of a stripped AR lower.

I don't really need to make any phone calls to understand that the law is pretty grey in this specific area and that MSP is taking the position that a stripped AR receiver is banned since it can be built into a banned firearm.

Then again, if you had a legitimate source and it was in writing, I would hope that you would be willing to share it with the rest of the 2nd Amendment community on here.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The receiver made by Polymer 80 is not the same as the ones that are made by Ares. Ares has the areas to be drilled out in a different color polymer. I just checked the Polymer 80 website and its receivers are all black. It's website has a great set of instructions on how to finish the thing and they sell what appears to be a decent jog for it.

I still think it is illegal to finish a 80% lower in Maryland, but we are going to need a test case to flesh the issue out completely re: AR pistols and building an HBAR from an 80% receiver.

Actually poly 80 does have two different color polymers as well as ep80

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom