• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    Good read. I still prefer my 870p with sexy wood furniture over my 590a1. I have no plans of getting rid of either.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Good writeup except he is wrong on a few points.

The Shotgun I carried in the Navy was a Remington 870, standard issue.

-redacted based on photo evidence-

Personally I prefer the Winchester 1300.

Last edited:

Big_Leo

May 8, 2011
    coming from a household patrolled by both an 870 and a 500, it is my PERSONAL OPINION that both systems are more than adequate and easy to use given enough familiarity with the system. but the basic point of any self/home defense article shouldnt be which gun is better/easier/shinier, instead, the direction of the article should be towards practicing proper techniques and familiarizing ones self with their preferred system. with enough practice, one could hold his castle with a fork. at the same time a fancy light/laser/shotgun combo is useless if you dont know how to make it go bang.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Good writeup except he is wrong on a few points.

The Shotgun I carried in the Navy was a Remington 870, standard issue.

It had the safety on the top rear of the receiver. Not sure what model of Remy it was tho.

Personally I prefer the Winchester 1300.

Boats, I think your mistaken. The 870 safety is on the trigger guard and the M500 is/was the Navy issue shotgun and its safety is on the back of the receiver as he stated.
    I was a Navy SAMI and although the Navy had a few 870s (mostly NSW) the vast majority were M500s.
    You may have been taught both shotguns in the classroom, but chances are you shot the M500.
    Now I have to admit, it's been a couple years since I've been in the armory, but I doubt things have changed...:thumbsup:

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Boats, I think your mistaken. The 870 safety is on the trigger guard and the M500 is/was the Navy issue shotgun and its safety is on the back of the receiver as he stated.
    I was a Navy SAMI and although the Navy had a few 870s (mostly NSW) the vast majority were M500s.
    You may have been taught both shotguns in the classroom, but chances are you shot the M500.
    Now I have to admit, it's been a couple years since I've been in the armory, but I doubt things have changed...:thumbsup:

Hmmmm. I will have to check some old photos.

Yup, it was a Remy but I was confusing the safety location with the Mossy at a later command.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom