• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    An interesting site. It's surprising to see the crime rate take off in the mid-1960s, and continue to soar. Top chart is overall figures; scroll down to see the crime rate per 100,000.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mdcrime.htm

It would seem that the crackdown on weapons in the hands of lawful citizens has not improved the situation. Odd, that.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    An interesting site. It's surprising to see the crime rate take off in the mid-1960s, and continue to soar. Top chart is overall figures; scroll down to see the crime rate per 100,000.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/mdcrime.htm

It would seem that the crackdown on weapons in the hands of lawful citizens has not improved the situation. Odd, that.

Very Interesting.

Looks like an improving trend since 2005 overall. Went from horrible to just plain terrible.....

All the while citizen gun ownership continued to climb.....

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Was watching a show on Netflix a couple nights ago, Freakonomics. Based on a book written by economists. They dig into a historical fact using statistical analysis and come up with some very interesting conclusions. The fact is crime in the US has been decreasing over the past generation. They went to Romania and saw an increase in crime that tracked along with the government's policy of forcing women to have as many children as possible. Children unwanted by their biological mothers began commiting crimes as they entered their mid teen years. A similar decrease in the US as more birth control options became more available. The real reason we have less crime, trojan!!!

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Was watching a show on Netflix a couple nights ago, Freakonomics. Based on a book written by economists. They dig into a historical fact using statistical analysis and come up with some very interesting conclusions. The fact is crime in the US has been decreasing over the past generation. They went to Romania and saw an increase in crime that tracked along with the government's policy of forcing women to have as many children as possible. Children unwanted by their biological mothers began commiting crimes as they entered their mid teen years. A similar decrease in the US as more birth control options became more available. The real reason we have less crime, trojan!!!

Very interesting conclusion. We had Roe v Wade in that time frame so I suppose Planned Parenthood has been systematically eliminating tens of millions of potential criminals.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Nope, abortion. You can tie the legalization of abortion then 16+ years after, the crime rate started to go down.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Correlation does not equal causation. Why, for example, did crime rates explode in the 1960's in the first place, when there was no change in the U.S.'s abortion laws until the 1970's?

There is strong evidence to suggest that the widespread use of leaded gasoline caused developmental and behavioral problems, especially in cities where exhaust fumes were more concentrated. After phasing out leaded gasoline, crime rates began to drop.

Freely available abortion might have had some impact on crime rates, but it's only one of hundreds of possible factors at work.

Attachments

• 2000px-PiratesVsTemp(en).svg.jpg
      2000px-PiratesVsTemp(en).svg.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 276

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Correlation does not equal causation. Why, for example, did crime rates explode in the 1960's in the first place, when there was no change in the U.S.'s abortion laws until the 1970's?

There is strong evidence to suggest that the widespread use of leaded gasoline caused developmental and behavioral problems, especially in cities where exhaust fumes were more concentrated. After phasing out leaded gasoline, crime rates began to drop.

Freely available abortion might have had some impact on crime rates, but it's only one of hundreds of possible factors at work.
    Of course there are plenty of factors. I didn't enjoy accepting that abortion is a factor at all which was the purpose of my post. Nowhere did I attempt to imply that correlation equals causation.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Don't fudge the figures. Your chart should be predicated on pirates per 100,000 people. Lies, damned lies, and statistics indeed.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I think there may be some correlation with the fact that we have more people incarerated than at any time in the past. As the incarceration rate has increased, crime has decreased.

Could also be some correlation between crime and age of criminals at peak of criminality ... older jokers usually commit fewer crimes than young punks ... as the Baby Boomers age, crime could be falling because they just aren't up to it any more.

Most likely: Combined factors

Dec 31, 2012
    I think there may be some correlation with the fact that we have more people incarerated than at any time in the past. As the incarceration rate has increased, crime has decreased.

Could also be some correlation between crime and age of criminals at peak of criminality ... older jokers usually commit fewer crimes than young punks ... as the Baby Boomers age, crime could be falling because they just aren't up to it any more.

Most likely: Combined factors

Age matters but is not the only thing, as you said combined factors...
    50% of homicides are committed by people under the age of 25.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Very interesting conclusion. We had Roe v Wade in that time frame so I suppose Planned Parenthood has been systematically eliminating tens of millions of potential criminals.

Should we not fund them further then

(ducks and runs)

:lol2:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Age matters but is not the only thing, as you said combined factors...
    50% of homicides are committed by people under the age of 25.

And the number of people under the age of 25 is proportionally less now than during the BabyBoomer's <25 span and their echo's <25 span.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I didn't mention abortion because I understand it's an emotionally sensitive issue for many people on all sides of the crime/firearms debate. Yes, it falls under the umbrella of ways to prevent unwanted births. Also, the pill gave women more control over their reproductive choices than they had previously. Remember, there is a 15-20 year lag between reduction in unwanted births (by whatever means) and the corresponding drop in crime. Not many infants or toddlers jacking cars or robbing banks :)

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Legalized abortion appears to account for as much as 50 percent of the recent drop in crime.” The authors noted, “Crime began to fall roughly 18 years after abortion legalization,” and that the social benefit of this decrease in crime is about $30 billion annually.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2696468?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

This is what always puzzles me about conservatives. They are so anti crime, and when something decreases crime as much as abortion does, they want to make that illegal. Also the entire funding of it. Talk about an investment that pays 1000x.. they'd rather pay to feed, home clothe and/or incarcerate for life? Please, let me pay it on the front end not a life commitment.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/2696468?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

This is what always puzzles me about conservatives. They are so anti crime, and when something decreases crime as much as abortion does, they want to make that illegal. Also the entire funding of it. Talk about an investment that pays 1000x.. they'd rather pay to feed, home clothe and/or incarcerate for life? Please, let me pay it on the front end not a life commitment.

Yeah, well, conservatives are rational about some things, except for what they're not. Sort of like liberals, people are all wired the same, but start off on different premises.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD

Well, the Undocumenteds are about to take aim in the Trojan War. Here in my once lilly white hood, Unsafe, Md 20707, there have been five (5) births, and there are two (2) more pending, since 2007. I live among Haitians, mixed breed, Guatamaleans and Panamanian and Jamician. If this hood is any indicator, we are in deep Kimchee. But, not to worry for we will soon return to our roots in Steeler country. Go Steelers. Continue on Jailbirds.

Lew--Ranger63

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    This is what always puzzles me about conservatives. They are so anti crime, and when something decreases crime as much as abortion does, they want to make that illegal.
    personally, i always thought people who wanted a small government that would let them alone would respect people's rights to make a moral call like abortion on their own... but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom