• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    I currently study applied physics and have just recently learned what parallax is. While I feel that I understand it, I'm not sure how it can be "adjusted for" with a rifle scope. I have a vortex scope on my 700 and it has a parallax adjuster but I do not know how to use it effectively.

I am wondering if anybody has experience with how to use the parallax adjuster?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I currently study applied physics and have just recently learned what parallax is. While I feel that I understand it, I'm not sure how it can be "adjusted for" with a rifle scope. I have a vortex scope on my 700 and it has a parallax adjuster but I do not know how to use it effectively.

I am wondering if anybody has experience with how to use the parallax adjuster?

You set it for the distance you are shooting.

tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    It only has adjustments from 50-100 yards but I shoot well beyond that. I thought if it corresponding to shooting length I would be able to adjust beyond 100 yards

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    :thumbsup:it has nothing to do with ballistic drop....just for clarity at the particular yard setting on the dial.

Its not clarity as much as reticle position inside the scope to avoid distortion at the particular target distance.

I agree, it has nothing to do with drop.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    parallax can be observed by the target appearing off center from my reticle by moving the orientation of my eye? Or my head completely?

Yes. Rest the scope on a sturdy bench and point it at a nearby object (parallax is worse at closer ranges). When you move your eye side to side (or up/down) you will notice the crosshairs 'move' across the target if the parallax dial is set wrong.

tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    Yes. Rest the scope on a sturdy bench and point it at a nearby object (parallax is worse at closer ranges). When you move your eye side to side (or up/down) you will notice the crosshairs 'move' across the target if the parallax dial is set wrong.

While keeping my head perfectly still, correct?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    No, move your head.

If keeping your head still, and just looking around the sight picture w/ your eyes won't do anything. Your pupil isn't moving side to side enough the TINY amount it takes to 'look around'. Plus, you're always looking right at the center of reticle when shooting anyway so that isn't a problem in real life.

When you move your head, you are displacing your pupil so that it is seeing the image more from the side, than the center. When shooting you don't typ move your head around but every time you mount the rifle, your head is in a slightly different spot each time. THAT is whats causing the problem. The parallax setting of the scope will superimpose the reticle at some distance out. This can be simulated by putting you finger up in front of your face half way betwen your eyes and monitor. Imagine this is a 50yd parallax and your monitor is at 100yds. Move you head side to side (while holding finger still) and you will see your finger 'move' across the screen. Just looking around while holding your head still does nothing. Now, place your finger right up against the monitor and repeat (both at 100yds). It doesn't move across the screen anymore does it?. Of course the scope isn't actually placing the reticle way out at your target (would take a LONG scope body;)) but its using optics to simulate it.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    No, move your head.

If keeping your head still, and just looking around the sight picture w/ your eyes won't do anything. Your pupil isn't moving side to side enough the TINY amount it takes to 'look around'. Plus, you're always looking right at the center of reticle when shooting anyway so that isn't a problem in real life.

When you move your head, you are displacing your pupil so that it is seeing the image more from the side, than the center. When shooting you don't typ move your head around but every time you mount the rifle, your head is in a slightly different spot each time. THAT is whats causing the problem. The parallax setting of the scope will superimpose the reticle at some distance out. This can be simulated by putting you finger up in front of your face half way betwen your eyes and monitor. Imagine this is a 50yd parallax and your monitor is at 100yds. Move you head side to side (while holding finger still) and you will see your finger 'move' across the screen. Just looking around while holding your head still does nothing. Now, place your finger right up against the monitor and repeat (both at 100yds). It doesn't move across the screen anymore does it?. Of course the scope isn't actually placing the reticle way out at your target (would take a LONG scope body;)) but its using optics to simulate it.

Great Response

:thumbsup:

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    No, move your head.

I agree with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ied67wwHY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ziKTDIMCig

tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    No, move your head.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom