• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winebike

May 11, 2009
    I just got an email from Verizon saying they are dropping the Outdoor Channel from their FIOS cable TV offerings. The reason given is cost. That sounds like a lame excuse since they can charge customers who want that channel a premium.

I wonder if anti-gun forces are behind this move by Verizon. I hope a lot of people let Verizon know how unhappy they are about losing the Outdoor Channel and all the gun shows it carries.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Jeez, I hope Comcast doesn't go this route. The outdoor channel is one of my most watched channels.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Is the Outdoor Channel available on its own, say through a Roku box? I just saved a ton of money by dropping my FIOS back to local channels only. The bundle of programming is a mess. They make you pay another five bucks for "regional sports service fee" (like a tax) - but I don't watch sports at home.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    SO this is what happens when you don't have 50 posts yet. Dupe threads like this end up in the depot...

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Just wondering, if you were new and did not have access to the WC or even know of it's existence where would you share something like this that you thought would be of interest to the community? Not specifically pointing you out but I see these comments all of the time pointed at newbees.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Just wondering, if you were new and did not have access to the WC or even know of it's existence where would you share something like this that you thought would be of interest to the community? Not specifically pointing you out but I see these comments all of the time pointed at newbees.

I hear ya. I didnt mean to bash the OP. Just simply pointing it out.
    It's true though. When I joined I had no idea what the WC was. In fact, I was kind of curious why there wasn't an "off-topic" section like most other forums Ive been on. When I hit 50 posts...

c0a537f8c5cf162738a24b809cbc9f2bffead3cad79c4b961307322a22e7f92d.jpg

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Is the Outdoor Channel available on its own, say through a Roku box? I just saved a ton of money by dropping my FIOS back to local channels only. The bundle of programming is a mess. They make you pay another five bucks for "regional sports service fee" (like a tax) - but I don't watch sports at home.

You should look into dropping FIOS TV completely if you're only using it for local channels. You can get those through a DTV antenna setup (which is a much better HD picture anyways since it's not compressed). I use the DTV antenna for local channels, ABC, FOX, NBC and CBS and then signed up for Sling Television to get ESPN and ESPN2. Saves a ton of money this way.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You should look into dropping FIOS TV completely if you're only using it for local channels. You can get those through a DTV antenna setup (which is a much better HD picture anyways since it's not compressed). I use the DTV antenna for local channels, ABC, FOX, NBC and CBS and then signed up for Sling Television to get ESPN and ESPN2. Saves a ton of money this way.

I tried an HD antenna, but can't get any reception here. And since they bundle TV with internet I guess I'll keep that. I need the internet connection for work.

LoveToShoot

Jun 4, 2015
    Bel Air, Md
    They also dropped The Sportsman Channel in September. It wasn't in HD but I still watched some of the shooting shows. Someone posted about this on another fishing site and they linked someone's name and a number from Fios that they talked to and they started a service ticket. I called the number and got her voicemail and she never did call me back. It probably has something to do with me saying that I hoped it was for a reason other than anti's in corporate voicing their personal opinions and how much sportsmen spend every year. Oh well....time to leave Fios.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I called them and complained, which means nothing. I plan to cancel fios because of this.... I went with them because they carried both sportsman & outdoor. So time to change providers.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    With Comcast I get the Outdoor channel with my sports package but have to upgrade to another package to get the Sportsman channel. Douches.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I heard having two channels which may show aggressiveness in one household has been regulated by the ATF. I can't find the opinion letter but I believe it's a form 6, 3 month wait and Vaseline / fireclean and your good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom