• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Struggling with the GI sling on my M1 Garand, in order to shoot prone, it's near impossible to get the length needed without the buckle against skin or bone. I'm a 6'-5" tall guy, has anybody else run into this problem and found a longer sling available?

Thanks for your help.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Struggling with the GI sling on my M1 Garand, in order to shoot prone, it's near impossible to get the length needed without the buckle against skin or bone. I'm a 6'-5" tall guy, has anybody else run into this problem and found a longer sling available?

Thanks for your help.

I have one that seems to be longer than all my others. I'll measure it later tonight or tomorrow. If it's longer than what you have and you want to trade even up let me know.
    I don't remember where I bought it but it's new production and in very good condition.

Other than that have you experimented just moving the buckle around some?

Just measured three of mine. The longest measures right about 49 inches overall. The actual fabric is about 48in.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Wear a shooting glove.

N1117.jpg

It's heavily padded on the back to keep the sling from digging into your hand, even if the buckle is right there.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/993/Shooting-Gloves

You could also use the same glove with a 1907 style leather sling, which is what most people use anyway. The good slings are available in longer lengths, but in any case, they have no buckles.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/TURNER-ALL-WEATHER-SLING/Service-Rifle-Slings

I have a bunch of USGI style web slings that I got from the CMP. They're a decent length. Somewhere though, I have a shorter web sling that I assume is Chinese crap. So web slings do come in different lengths, but all I can say is buy quality, try a glove, and perhaps switch to a quality 1907 style sling.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I have one that seems to be longer than all my others. I'll measure it later tonight or tomorrow. If it's longer than what you have and you want to trade even up let me know.
    I don't remember where I bought it but it's new production and in very good condition.

Other than that have you experimented just moving the buckle around some?

Just measured three of mine. The longest measures right about 49 inches overall. The actual fabric is about 48in.

Thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to measure your slings. :thumbsup:

Wear a shooting glove.

N1117.jpg

It's heavily padded on the back to keep the sling from digging into your hand, even if the buckle is right there.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/993/Shooting-Gloves

You could also use the same glove with a 1907 style leather sling, which is what most people use anyway. The good slings are available in longer lengths, but in any case, they have no buckles.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/TURNER-ALL-WEATHER-SLING/Service-Rifle-Slings

I have a bunch of USGI style web slings that I got from the CMP. They're a decent length. Somewhere though, I have a shorter web sling that I assume is Chinese crap. So web slings do come in different lengths, but all I can say is buy quality, try a glove, and perhaps switch to a quality 1907 style sling.

Food for thought, thanks for the links :thumbsup:

Check http://www.ellicottdepot.com/

May have some options for you out of EC, MD.

Thanks for the link, didn't have that source for Garand gear :thumbsup:

Look at the Turner Slings. They make M1907 style NM slings to 58". Standard lengths are 52" & 54".

This is a very real possibility for me, thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Turner, as Ed mentioned.

And there is a another company that is well liked in the High Power community, but the name escapes me right now.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I ordered a seconds sling this week from Turner for my M14 and he suggested since I am 6'3 220 a 56 inch sling. I thought that it would be long but went with his recommendation. The seconds slings are slightly off in color or not perfect enough to be otherwise and only $50. They are cutting brown leather now so they indicated it wouldn't be too long for one.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    turner also can make longer slings, but you have to wait for longer leather to arrive. I got a 60"+ for my swede and Arisaka

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Turner is WAY behind in making slings. I have been waiting over 4 months for a tan 54".
    You should probably try a Ron Brown sling. They look to be better than Turner from the examples I have seen. Creedmoor Sports should have them.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    OP:

Your sling.... is it web (canvas) or a leather 1907???

I'm 6'-5"+ and the 1907 leather sling is "good-n-tight" when I (used to) sling up, in prone.

All of the ones I've used are GI style web ones. They seemed to be the most popular with finer amounts of adjustment. I do have a leather 1907 that came with one of my Garands still in a bag. No markings, so I assume it's a regular length repro.

Turner, as Ed mentioned.

And there is a another company that is well liked in the High Power community, but the name escapes me right now.

I'll do a search and see what comes up, thanks.

I ordered a seconds sling this week from Turner for my M14 and he suggested since I am 6'3 220 a 56 inch sling. I thought that it would be long but went with his recommendation. The seconds slings are slightly off in color or not perfect enough to be otherwise and only $50. They are cutting brown leather now so they indicated it wouldn't be too long for one.

I have no problem with getting a second if it's the right length, thanks for the tip.

turner also can make longer slings, but you have to wait for longer leather to arrive. I got a 60"+ for my swede and Arisaka

Sounds like I should call them and see what they recommend for my height and for use on a Garand?

Turner is WAY behind in making slings. I have been waiting over 4 months for a tan 54".
    You should probably try a Ron Brown sling. They look to be better than Turner from the examples I have seen. Creedmoor Sports should have them.

I'll take a look, thanks for the heads up on delivery turn-around and the Ron Brown alternative. :thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    All of the ones I've used are GI style web ones. They seemed to be the most popular with finer amounts of adjustment. I do have a leather 1907 that came with one of my Garands still in a bag. No markings, so I assume it's a regular length repro.

Install that M1907 and see how it fits, before you order anything.

To me, the stock on the M1 Garand is "one size - fits none". Waaaaaaaaaay too short on LOP for me. (I still love to shoot it, though!)

Sitting in the bag isn't doing any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom