• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    I came across this thread and thought I would share. This is a post about a machine gun range in Vegas and what their experience has been with M4 (AR15). Interesting that they do not use any Piston driven guns, and some of the early barrel failures they had. Also their magazine longevity will probably stir some emotions. While most of us will not put our ARs through this much shooting, it is nice to know what lasts in case we are not able to buy more or we need to hit the hills with what we have in hand.

Interesting if you read the entire thread (22 pages), lots of good info like this:

"We used Magtech .223 ammo until they got a military contract and couldn't keep up with production. If fairness, they told us 6-8 months in advance that they were pretty sure a contract was coming and that we needed to make sure we had another supplier available in the event they got it. Magtech has been the cleanest of all the ammo we used followed closely by Privi Partizan. I try to avoid Federal and will only use them if no other suppliers are available with the exception of the .50 BMG round.

We are currently using Wolf Gold series of brass case ammo. We've gone through over 500,000 rounds with zero issues. It burns clean and pretty damn close to 5.56mm spec's even though it's listed as .223 Remington.
    "

Anyway it is a good read

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I long time ago. Just for fun. We ran an m4 with as much successive full auto fire as we can to see how it would fail.

Two uppers ran about 6-7 magazines before it either cooked off or ruptured the gas tube, making it a single shot weapon.

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    I long time ago. Just for fun. We ran an m4 with as much successive full auto fire as we can to see how it would fail.

Two uppers ran about 6-7 magazines before it either cooked off or ruptured the gas tube, making it a single shot weapon.

That seems pathetic. What uppers were they?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

Eric did that:

Then he did it with an AK. He decided it would be safer to wear a welders mask this time around. Don't know if that would have saved him from big high speed chunks.

Sirex