Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Mark75H I guess I don't know the definition of syllabus

Maybe it's me, won't be the fist time, my understanding is:

Syllabus:
    an outline of the subjects in a course of study or teaching

Curriculum
    The course offered by an educational institution, an order of concepts in instruction over an entire subject.

We WERE provided a syllabus, but not a curriculum. To me a curriculum would outline the order of the course and make it uniform no matter the instructor. If it was a terminology issue ...sorry.

No matter, until the course becomes a more uniform thing it won't be :D

TD

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    When Patty and I offer the HQL, whether it be for our company (i.e. profit) or for the two gun clubs (Monumental Rifle and Pistol and MD State Rifle and Pistol Association which we do at cost i.e non-profit), the course of fire is the same:

Rimfire (22 Caliber)
    6 shots from a single action revolver
    6 shots from a double action revolver in single action mode
    6 shots from a double action revolver in double action mode
    10 rounds from a semi-automatic pistol

Centerfire

.38 or .357 caliber revolver
    6 shots from a double action revolver single action mode
    6 shots from double action revolver double action mode

9mm semi-automatic
    10 rounds from either Beretta 9FS, Glock 17 or Glock 19

.380 semi-automatic
    6 rounds Ruger LCP or Beretta Pico

Our feeling is that if a person has to take the class, they should be able to demonstrate safe gun handling with the most common handguns that are on the market today. Furthermore, the student should be able to at least get his/her shots all in a 9" circle or within an 8.5"x11" area.

This is our approach and we believe it gives an HQL candidate a solid footing to be able to purchase any handgun and be comfortable in handling it safely.

The bottom line is this: more than one round of live ammo and it must hit the target.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I thought I specified that and said the added paragraph seemed like an afterthought by MSP.

sorry.

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    In the MSP Course of Fire sent out to all QHIC/QHIL instructors, the first paragraph of page one states:

Handgun Qualification License
    Operation and Handling Demonstration.
    Orientation component that demonstrates the person’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, to include a “live fire” component in which the applicant safely shoots the weapon and hits the target. An applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualifications.

See the attached PDF of the MSP Live Fire and the Sample Firearms Safety Course Lesson Plan (both sent out from MSP and available from the MSP website).

I agree the Sample Lesson Plan and the Live Fire Course offers latitude in regard to the HQL. I use the standard of 21 feet (3 yards) which is roughly the 20 feet required by the NRA for the F.I.R.S.T Steps Pistol/Basic Pistol class and for the initial qualifications of the NRA Winchester Qualification program.

Just my approach. I am sure other instructors follow a similar pattern.

Last edited:

Draeger204

Whiplash
    Sep 8, 2015
    Rockville, MD
    In the "guidelines" to the instructors, they also added "and must hit the target".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It also states that an applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualifications. However, it doesn't state the minimum and maximum number rounds an applicant may shoot to hit the target.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Snail trap on a suppressed .22 pistol. Can be fired indoors with a target directly over the port.

I'm buying one to use for live fire testing. They run about a grand.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    When Patty and I offer the HQL, whether it be for our company (i.e. profit) or for the two gun clubs (Monumental Rifle and Pistol and MD State Rifle and Pistol Association which we do at cost i.e non-profit), the course of fire is the same: Rimfire (22 Caliber) 6 shots from a single action revolver 6 shots from a double action revolver in single action mode 6 shots from a double action revolver in double action mode 10 rounds from a semi-automatic pistol Centerfire .38 or .357 caliber revolver 6 shots from a double action revolver single action mode 6 shots from double action revolver double action mode 9mm semi-automatic 10 rounds from either Beretta 9FS, Glock 17 or Glock 19 .380 semi-automatic 6 rounds Ruger LCP or Beretta Pico Our feeling is that if a person has to take the class, they should be able to demonstrate safe gun handling with the most common handguns that are on the market today. Furthermore, the student should be able to at least get his/her shots all in a 9" circle or within an 8.5"x11" area. This is our approach and we believe it gives an HQL candidate a solid footing to be able to purchase any handgun and be comfortable in handling it safely. The bottom line is this: more than one round of live ammo and it must hit the target.

Question: if the student doesn't meet your "enhanced" firing requirements, but simply fires one round down range, would they get a HQL?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It also states that an applicant may not be required to fire in excess of 15 yards during qualifications. However, it doesn't state the minimum and maximum number rounds an applicant may shoot to hit the target.

If no number is specified, one single shot is implied and satisfies the letter of the law and thus statisfies completion of the course.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    A person only needs to fire one shot to qualify for the HQL.

I would hope that any one attending the course would want to take advantage of being able to shoot other pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom