.22LR, where is it AND WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIND?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jneuberth29

Apr 7, 2013
    Eldersburg, Carroll County
    Recently the only ammo i want is .22lr. I plink alot on my farm. i can get any other round from my wal-mart at any time. Restating my question, where and why is the .22 so hard to get my hands on?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    My best guess is that manufacturers are diverting their resources to centerfire rounds right now. I'd assume there's more profit in 5.56 right now than .22lr.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    My best guess is that manufacturers are diverting their resources to centerfire rounds right now. I'd assume there's more profit in 5.56 right now than .22lr.

Wild accusation.
    Everybody Knows .223 Has had a headache so .308 hasnt been getting any, Thus no .22's :D

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's so easy to walk away with a thousand rounds of 22LR, because it's inexpensive and easily portable. Couple that with the hoarding instinct brought on over the past year's events, and you can see that it's been overbought.

Someone who would have been satisfied with buying a hundred rounds or so will now scarf up whatever's on the shelf, perpetuating the shortage.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It's so easy to walk away with a thousand rounds of 22LR, because it's inexpensive and easily portable. Couple that with the hoarding instinct brought on over the past year's events, and you can see that it's been overbought.

Someone who would have been satisfied with buying a hundred rounds or so will now scarf up whatever's on the shelf, perpetuating the shortage.

yup, Walmart says 3 box limit, so if they get bulk boxes in, its gone right away.

Suppliers are not increasing production capacity and its cheap so even people who may have been shooting 9mm are also now shooting 22LR.
    To find it you need to frequent the places that are getting it in and be able to jump on it. And then hopefully, what they have, your gun likes.

Just think, when the gun scare started this year, so many people ran out and got 22 rifles. Then those who did not have a 22 handgun ran out and got one.

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    I donated 2k rounds (just this tuesday) to a young shooters group (well they paid me @ cost-.045 c/rd).... They haven't been shooting b/c they couldn't find any ammo.... I sold the other 3k rds.... still sitting on my own stash

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    I've noticed it has started popping up more here and there, alerts from Midway are more frequent, people are posting more often that they are scoring. Local shop is getting some every few days. Hopefully a sign that it's easing.

Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    TargetMaster in Chadds Ford.

I have bought 3 bricks this week alone!

Literally, there are a few pallet's of American Eagle 22lr!

They only let you have one a day & I try to buy some other ammo at the same time so...

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I think this has something, if not everything, to do with it.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Due to the inconvience and price of buying 22, I have shot about 7500 rounds less last year than I would normally shoot a year.

Fortunately, dry firing is still cheap and I made it much more fun. I used a small portion of the $ I was going to use on ammo and instead bought a CO2 semi auto airsoft Beretta 92 clone all metal pistol that blows back the slide on each pull of the trigger. I modified the magazine so that the slide does not lock back on the last round...this allows me to use the gun like a prop gun and without using airsoft ammo in the house.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    My walmart had 3 or 4 types of. 223 and 2 or 3 types of 7.62x51. Whice is the first time I have ever seen that.

Zero .22. I dont need it but I want it.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    I had been trying for months to buy 1,500 rounds for a scout troop planning a shooting weekend. We finally were able to purchase it through a gun shop on the Eastern Shore, one of the Scout's dad knew the owner.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Recently the only ammo i want is .22lr. I plink alot on my farm. i can get any other round from my wal-mart at any time. Restating my question, where and why is the .22 so hard to get my hands on?

Gonna be at Hap Baker Sunday with the father in law, I could sell you a 525 round Remington golden bullet pack for $35 if you are that hard up.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    I've always shot alot, always bought different components/ammo in bulk. One of my last purchases was .17 and .22 rimfire because it was reasonable at the time. I bought 2 cases of .17 and 3 cases of .22 rimfire. I hope that doesn't classify me as a hoarder. I haven't purchased any ammo of that sort in years before everything dried up.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Find a supplier you like, order a case, and wait. The key is to have a stockpile large enough to handle temporary shortages. Mine is about 20,000 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom