• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tangent4ronpaul

Mar 1, 2008
    Pardon me for being clueless - but what is a SOT?

I'm guessing the last letter stands for Transfer, but could be wrong...

thanks,

-n

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    From Wikipedia:

The registration process, purchases, taxes and transfers
    It is a common misconception that an individual must have a "Class 3 License" in order to own NFA weapons. This is not the case. One must only have a Class 3 license (more properly known as an 03 SOT) to buy and sell NFA weapons as a business. Individual owners do not need any license under the NFA to buy Title II weapons. However, the purchase and sale of NFA weapons is heavily taxed and regulated, as follows.

All NFA items must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Private owners wishing to purchase an NFA item must obtain permission from the ATF, obtain a signature from the county sheriff or city or town chief of police (not necessarily permission), pass an extensive background check to include submitting a photograph and finger prints, fully register the firearm, receive ATF written permission before moving the firearm across state lines, and pay a tax. The request to transfer ownership of an NFA item is made on an ATF Form 4.[2]

The NFA Page of Wikipedia

R

RavensD

I just ordered will maker from ebay. After you make the trust and get it notarized, do you have to register it or what? How does that work in Maryland? Does it cost anything?

If you buy, say, 2 suppressors at one time, is it a $200 tax stamp for each item? I am guessing yes. Do you need to do different paperwork for each suppressor?

And just to clarify, I can bypass the CLEO and fingerprints by doing the living trust? Then I can simply mail everything off? What do you put on the forms where it asks for the fingerprints and CLEO stuff? Also, what do you put for serial number for the silencer if you don't even have one yet? The form instructions only talk about firearms.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I just ordered will maker from ebay. After you make the trust and get it notarized, do you have to register it or what? How does that work in Maryland? Does it cost anything?

NO, no need to register it with the state of Maryland. After the trust is notorized it is a legal document. If you move to another state registration may be required depending on the state

If you buy, say, 2 suppressors at one time, is it a $200 tax stamp for each item? I am guessing yes. Do you need to do different paperwork for each suppressor?

Each NFA item requires a $5 or $200 tax stamp (AOW vs SBR, SBS, MG, or DD

And just to clarify, I can bypass the CLEO and fingerprints by doing the living trust? Then I can simply mail everything off? What do you put on the forms where it asks for the fingerprints and CLEO stuff?

No police involvement. Leave the police sign off areas blank.

Also, what do you put for serial number for the silencer if you don't even have one yet? The form instructions only talk about firearms.

IF you are buying a silencer the dealer will fill in all the information on the Form 4.

For the Trust you will need to go back in and edit the schedule of property with the items information after you buy it and then print out the new schedule to send in with the Decleration Of Trust and the Form 4.

:D

R

RavensD

Thanks! I am sure when the will maker comes in I will have about 50 more questions for ya. Oh, can you fill in the ATF forms by hand or do you have to do it on the computer?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Thanks! I am sure when the will maker comes in I will have about 50 more questions for ya. Oh, can you fill in the ATF forms by hand or do you have to do it on the computer?

By hand on the computer, doesn't matter.

I would recommend on the computer, that way there is no mistakeing the letters and numbers when it gets to ATF.

I do all mine on the computer, they do all the ones at work by hand. remmeber this is something you have to have as long as you have the firearm, I personally like to professional look of computer printed forms.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Comment:

All should be advised that Silencer Tests (and Silencer Talk) is posted by a guy by the last name of Silvers. He works for AAC. There has been a lot of talk of the results posted being tainted by the fact that he is an AAC guy. That aside, suppressor performance is effected by many variables such as temperature, altitude, time of day, blah, blah..... In other words, results can vary. The best thing to do is understand the limitations of suppressors (Jeep has done a good job of spelling that out) and do research. The .22 is probably the most useful, satisfying in terms of noise reduction, and economical. The real advantage of suppressing an AR platform is in blast reduction, noise reduction in buildings and tactical surprise in certain situations. Kevin

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Comment:

All should be advised that Silencer Tests (and Silencer Talk) is posted by a guy by the last name of Silvers. He works for AAC. There has been a lot of talk of the results posted being tainted by the fact that he is an AAC guy. That aside, suppressor performance is effected by many variables such as temperature, altitude, time of day, blah, blah..... In other words, results can vary. The best thing to do is understand the limitations of suppressors (Jeep has done a good job of spelling that out) and do research. The .22 is probably the most useful, satisfying in terms of noise reduction, and economical. The real advantage of suppressing an AR platform is in blast reduction, noise reduction in buildings and tactical surprise in certain situations. Kevin

I'd never trust any thing posted on Silencer Test. Ron Silvers has lowered my already low opinion of AAC.

Silencer Research is an independent site that gives un-biases results.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I just had a customer come in with one of thier Trust. It looked correct (but I'm not a lawyer). I just sent everything off to ATF, I guess in 6 weeks we'll know!

Did it come back yet? I haven't checked the prices on the software but have a certain $ cap on my SBR 9mm build and I'm trying to save some cash where I can.
    Thanks for the FAQ Jeep.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I am mailing mine today.

I am counting the days..

Also, I would like to publicly Thank JeepDriver for letting me bug the shit out of him these past two days with a bunch of stupid questions, actually some werent stupid but yall get my drift. I must have called him 4 diferent times.

The next time will be a piece of cake. ;)

Thanks again dude! Now for the wait..

R

RavensD

I went to see Jeep in person at Continental and ended up buying a tac-65 .22 suppressor. I can't wait to get it, I'll let everyone know how long it takes. Overall, it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

R

RavensD

how much is a will maker, WILL any kind work?

I got mine for 10 bucks shipped on ebay, it was the 2007 version. I did a trust but you can do it the other way to with the photos and fingerprints and LEO stuff. To me it was easier to pay 10 bucks plus 2 for a notary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom