• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    I have never performed a barrel cleaning after each of the first ten shots on anything, rifle or handgun.

I was reading the manual on the latest purchase, and it states one is to fire then clean the barrel for the first 10 shots, then every 10th shot util 100.

I don't see the advantage to doing this.

Will the accuracy really be degraded if the procedure is not followed?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    IMO, no.. shoot it... when yer done clean it, or.. as I often do, wait til you've run a hundred or so rounds, then clean it, then as you normally would after that. More accurate barrels are ruined from overcleaning than under.. ;)

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I have never performed a barrel cleaning after each of the first ten shots on anything, rifle or handgun.

I was reading the manual on the latest purchase, and it states one is to fire then clean the barrel for the first 10 shots, then every 10th shot util 100.

I don't see the advantage to doing this.

Will the accuracy really be degraded if the procedure is not followed?

Is it a match barrel or a regular chrome lined barrel?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    My white oak upper said shot one clean repeat three times. Then shoot three clean repeat three times. Shoot ten clean and check bore.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    My white oak upper said shot one clean repeat three times. Then shoot three clean repeat three times. Shoot ten clean and check bore.

All those biblical numbers. Sounds like magical thinking to me. This should be easy enough to check with two barrels from the same batch.

What is this frequent cleaning early on supposed to accomplish ? Its the shooting that smoothes out the machining marks, not the cleaning.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    As I understand it - and I may be completely wrong - is that the "recommended" procedure is because etching the rifling in the barrel causes small deposits of metal to be left behind and tiny burrs remain on the edges. Shooting the rifle breaks off tiny portions of the burrs and cleaning removes the metal. This is why the cleaning cycles get further and further apart the more you shoot it as the deposits are being scrubbed and washed away.

In my opinion, this is a huge waste of time, money and effort. Just shoot the damned thing. In time, you will notice your groups improving. It's not like you expect it to be able to give a copper suppository to a gnat at 200 yards out of the box to begin with.

Shoot it. Enjoy it. Have fun and clean it when you get home.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    All those biblical numbers. Sounds like magical thinking to me. This should be easy enough to check with two barrels from the same batch.

What is this frequent cleaning early on supposed to accomplish ? Its the shooting that smoothes out the machining marks, not the cleaning.

Given their accuracy and the skill of the owner of the company has. I doubt there are many that are qualified to challenge his ideas for barrel prep. I know I certainly can't.

Plus we really arent talking about an exhaustive cleaning proceedure. Thats like 5-6 in the first 25 rounds then shoot as normal.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Given their accuracy and the skill of the owner of the company has. I doubt there are many that are qualified to challenge his ideas for barrel prep. I know I certainly can't.

Does he have data to support his recommendation ? Without data, its just an opinion. The test to prove or disprove this theory would cost $150 in ammo, $20 in cleaning supplies and an afternoon of shooting.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Good topic! I'm curious about this as well. I have never followed any sort of break-in process with a new rifle or handgun. I always clean and lube out of the box to remove anything the factory may have left behind for packing and shipping purposes etc, and to be sure it's lubed as per mfg. recommendations. Then I just shoot the hell out of it. I don't know and can't say if that's the correct process or not. I'm not sure how I'd know the difference either way.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I buy firearms to shoot them, not constantly clean them.

Noveske, Shilen, White Oak - they all got broken in the same way. They all can out-shoot the bag of meat behind the trigger.

Just avoid excessive heating of the barrel, and extended strings of rapid-firing.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Does he have data to support his recommendation ? Without data, its just an opinion. The test to prove or disprove this theory would cost $150 in ammo, $20 in cleaning supplies and an afternoon of shooting.

Kenny Jarrett popularized the technique recommended cleaning after every 1 for 20 then every 5 for the next 80; so you will be in for more than an afternoon. His new rifles come broken in and he has 2 employees who do only that, but in the old days you had to do it yourself. Every barrel manufacture has a break in recommendation .

The theory is not that it smooths the barrel but that it prevents copper from laying down unevenly in the yet unsmoothed barrel. Removing that copper as the barrel under goes peening by the bullets yields a barrel that won't have uneven accumulation of copper and will foul less.

The opposing theory by Gale McMillan is that in the world of benchrest, where barrels are thrown away after 1000 rounds or less, it uses up 10% of the barrel life so the gun maker can sell more barrels.

Hart does not believe in it at all.

Pac Nor is the least onerous at just 3 rounds
    http://www.jamescalhoon.com/barrelbreakin.php

Shilen 55 They admit they have a break in procedure because customers expected them to have one. http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question10

Krieger 12 for stainless 28 for chrome moly
    http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

I have never had a Jarrett rifle nor broken one in more than 25 shots. I do have a factory rem 700 in 338 WM that fouls copper and powder like a sob. I did not break it in at all.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it some more. Clean it when you see the accuracy fall off, if you ever get to that point.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I don't bother anymore. For the past few years, I just clean before initial sight-in and after each use (unless high volume of fire fouls the bore, evidenced by degraded accuracy).

Used to use a pretty cumbersome break-in procedure (believed in it like Gospel :o) from FM 23-10:

"Barrel Break-in Procedure. To increase barrel life, accuracy, and reduce cleaning requirement the following barrel break-in procedure must be used. This procedure is best accomplished when the SWS is new or newly rebarreled. The break-in period is accomplished by polishing the barrel surface under heat and pressure. This procedure should only be done by qualified personnel. The barrel must be cleaned of all fouling, both powder and copper. The barrel is dried, and one round is fired. The barrel is then cleaned again using carbon cleaner and then copper cleaner. The barrel must be cleaned again, and another round is fired. The procedure must be repeated for a total of 10 rounds. After the 10th round the SWS is then tested for groups by firing three-round shot groups, with a complete barrel cleaning between shot groups for a total of five shot groups (15 rounds total).
    The barrel is now broken in, and will provide superior accuracy and a longer usable barrel life. Additionally, the barrel will be easier to clean because the surface is smoother. Again the barrel should be cleaned at least every 50 rounds to increase the barrel life."

thai

May 8, 2013
    I have done it for my 1998 Bushmaster V-match and I have done it for my Weatherby and Sako bolt actions. I have since stop doing it for my LWRCI, AKs, Tavor, Sig, and Ruger rifles.

I used to take up a month of weekends at the range testing all my hand loads and cleaning my rifles religiously. But that was before marriage, mortgage, daycare/private schools, and vacations. Now if I can find a few hours every few months for the range, I rather spend it in my man cave enjoying my beer and liquor. But I still spend on firearms and ammo with reckless abandon. I have a few firearms that are 2 years old and is brand new in the box.

I just order another LWRCI yesterday. Life is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom