• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I ordered a reproduction sling and oiler and unfortunately the sling and oiler do not fit in the cutout together. I guess I'll cut a smaller diameter dowel rod or something to hold the sling. I read that the reproduction slings are slightly thicker, and i'm not sure how close to USGI spec Citadel cut the stock.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I'm finally sending the rifle into Citadel for service. After over 1,000 rounds the bolt hold open is finally starting to work properly, maybe because the springs loosened up. The front sight is still slightly loose and there is no perceptible way to tighten it. Magazines should be installed will one less round then maximum capacity for reliable feeding from a closed bolt. I've been using the citadel magazines and the P226 magazines I modified with the 92fs magazine catch. I was able to try a few OEM Beretta 92fs magazines and they would not feed properly, resulting in double feeds.

I just hope when Citadel repairs/replaces the stock it matches properly. Overall I'm really happy with the rifle it's fun to shoot, light, low recoiling, accurate, and I love the retro styling. Carrying it around the range today I can see it's advantage over the M1 Garand, and a rifle just like this one kept my grandpa safe in his tour across Europe. Attached is one of the images he took while serving.

PRISONERS.jpg
    (PRISONERS WAITING TO CROSS MADON RIVER WEST OF MOSELLE, GERMANY)

Last edited:

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Update: I've fired about 1500 rounds through the carbine and it has been a pretty good shooter. I was curious what kind of accuracy I could squeeze out of the rifle so I ordered a new scope and high mount see through rings so I could use the iron sights. I got to the AGC this morning bright and early and after the first shot the rifle jammed up. After cycling the rifle a few times I realized why the gun wouldn't shoot was that the bolt had sheared off exposing the firing pin and was stuck inside the receiver.:mad54: Just sent the email off to Chiappa to see what the say.

Notice the bolt is all the way forward in battery but the firing pin is protruding from the rear of the receiver.

Attachments

• DSC_05282.jpg
      DSC_05282.jpg
      43.2 KB · Views: 379

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Update: I've fired about 1500 rounds through the carbine and it has been a pretty good shooter. I was curious what kind of accuracy I could squeeze out of the rifle so I ordered a new scope and high mount see through rings so I could use the iron sights. I got to the AGC this morning bright and early and after the first shot the rifle jammed up. After cycling the rifle a few times I realized why the gun wouldn't shoot was that the bolt had sheared off exposing the firing pin and was stuck inside the receiver.:mad54: Just sent the email off to Chiappa to see what the say.

Notice the bolt is all the way forward in battery but the firing pin is protruding from the rear of the receiver.

It sounds like a cool rifle, however with all of the issues you have seen thus far, not sure I want to invest in one. But do keep us apprised of the status. If they get their act together, maybe..... :rolleyes:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sucks that that happened to you, OP. On the other hand, I had a great time shooting with you guys yesterday and look forward to doing it again real soon.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Do they have a lifetime warranty?

As per their manual:

1. Chiappa Firearms will warrant for structural or project defects without any time limit.

2. Chiappa Firearms guarantees, for a year after the purchase date to the original owner, the free substitution of parts for defects which have been found out during use: wear of parts which shouldn’t be subject to wear, or excessive wear of parts subject to wear. The customer will have to give evidence of the purchase date with a bill or other valid proof.

Its still under warranty but I'm frustrated. I havent seen anyone else on the internet reporting a similar issue so I must be the lucky one. I wonder if FIAT owns this company? Hey Fix It Again Tony.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sucks, I really liked the concept but am very wary given your experiences and those of a few others I know.

Your blow by blow review since ownership is greatly appreciated.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I wouldn't call it terrible just a little frustrating. I think its part of buying a new product too. My dad always said never buy a car in the first model year, kinda the same idea. I do really love the gun and it's fun and cheap to shoot. I actually contacted Chiappa on Sunday via email with the picture above and I received a shipping label back with an RMA number. That was by far the easiest RMA I have ever received. Hopefully I'll be able to package it up and ship it out by Friday.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That looks like a pretty bad design flaw. Thank you for being honest and showing the good and bad with this rifle. I think I will stay away until I hear about a V2 bolt for this rifle.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Good news, the M1 shall be returning with a new bolt next week. The gunsmith from Chiappa took the time to call me and let me know he replaced the bolt with a new production bolt and test fired the gun. I asked what the problem was and he stated it was defective. Hopefully the new bolt will last. The gun smith also has a brand new stock on order for me, which they'll ship directly to my house when it comes in from Italy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom