• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I haven't seen much in regards to the 783 on the forums yet so I figured I would put together a short review. If anyone is interested in this gun hopefully this helps.

I have been in the market for a rifle to use for recreation and working on the fundamentals. I also wanted this gun to be chambered in a cartridge that i could also use for deer hunting so eventually decided the venerable .30-06. After some shopping around my choices came down to either the Ruger American or the Remington 783. I decided to go with the 783 because it felt better in hand to me and i like the feel of the bolt more. Now I did not expect this gun to be insanely accurate, after all it was only 400$, by the machining on the bore was quite rough from the factory. I was bothered by it enough to take it back to the store and compare the bore of my rifle to that of another 783 on the shelf with a bore scope. The other rifle also had a comparably rough bore but I noticed there was a considerable amount of copper fouling in mine. The store said that if it didnt shoot well that they would make things right so I took it home and soaked the bore with Bore Tech and got the copper out. I assume that my rifle was selected for extended test firing at the factory to have that much copper in the barrel. Anyways I mounted a Nikon Prostaff 4-12 with the BDC reticle and some low weaver rings. With the scope as low as i can mount it, my cheek weld still placed my head to low for my eye to line up with the reticle correctly. I was to anxious to get this gun to the range though so I headed out and zeroed the gun in. After around 14 shots I developed a considerable flinch and after trying to work it out I called it a day after 22 rounds. I started off shooting Winchester Power max bonded 180 grain hollow points and then Hornady Superformance with 165 grain polymer tips. Now even though I was flinching by the time I switched to shooting the 165 gr Hornady ammo I noticed that it didnt seem to group as well as the 180 gr Winchesters. To address the stock height issue I ordered a triad tactical stock pack that uses strips of velcro to adjust the stock height. I also reduced the trigger pull on the 783 but without the tool to measure it I dont know exactly what its pulling now. After getting the stock adjusted to the right height I adjusted the eye relief a bit by moving the scope forward. Now I took it out to the range and took my time in between shots (approximately 4 minutes). With little to no wind I was impressed with the groups the rifle printed. It definitely shot the heavier Winchesters much better then the lighter hornadys. I am very happy with what this gun will shoot out of the box and I think after practicing more with it I hope to get a little better groups. If anyone is considering buying one of these I recommend it, just dont be to bothered by the bore.

All groups shot at 100 yards.

Attachments

• P1000853.jpg
      P1000853.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 806
    • P1000852.jpg
      P1000852.jpg
      73.9 KB · Views: 756
    • P1000851.jpg
      P1000851.jpg
      90.5 KB · Views: 757
    • P1000850.jpg
      P1000850.jpg
      91.9 KB · Views: 820
    • P1000848.jpg
      P1000848.jpg
      102.9 KB · Views: 858

ir0nw1l

Feb 6, 2013
    WV
    thanks for the review. I am currently shopping for a .308 and I was even on the Remington site today looking at the new rifle.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    thanks for the review. I am currently shopping for a .308 and I was even on the Remington site today looking at the new rifle.

No problem! I been out shooting with some more ammo and it really likes the winchester powermax bonded 180s. Ive got the groups even tighter than the center group here now. My gun likes 180s better than lighter rounds even using different brands of ammo. I bought the winchester supreme elite xp3 180's though and it shot like crap, 2.5 inch groups! The 180 grain hornady superformace seem about the same as the winchester powermax bonded 180 interms of group size. If i get some time I will update the review with more results. Did you end up getting a 783?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    great hunting rig. wouldn't try shooting a long-range precision match for it, but it'll kill stuff at well beyond the ranges "most" folks try to kill stuff. :)

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I got a new stock from Boyd's for the 783, I really like the way it feels in hand. I plan to install aluminum pillars and glass bed the action in the stock. Hopefully it improves the accuracy as well!

Attachments

• SAM_0029.jpg
      SAM_0029.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 618
    • SAM_0030.jpg
      SAM_0030.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 545
    • SAM_0031.jpg
      SAM_0031.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 601

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    So I finally made it out to the range tonight. I only got to shoot the baseline Winchester ammo, followed by the 4 shot groups of 52, 53, and 54 before the rain hit. Looks like she really likes the bedded stock and 52 grain IMR-4350 load!! (Ignore the flinch)

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
      photo (2).jpg
      71 KB · Views: 556

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I was at the range today doing some load development on 55 and 56 grains of IMR-4350. It seems that in addition to liking 52 grains it also likes 55. I stacked three rounds darn near on top of each other then flinched on the fourth. (only brought 4 rounds of 55 and 4 of 56) 56 grains was a slightly larger group but still under an inch. All in all I am really happy with the my upward trend with this gun. My game plan is to get confident enough to attend a long range training class this fall or early next spring. Then the idea is to get into all that fun long range competition down the road at peace maker

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
      photo 1.JPG
      58.9 KB · Views: 519
    • photo 2.JPG
      photo 2.JPG
      40.5 KB · Views: 456

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    My .06 really likes the 200 gr Sierra Match Kings. I would also suggest that if you can switch to the H-4350. It seems to be less temperature sensitive than the IMR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom