Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maybe we could split my can.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore

Thanks to Pinecone, color is a lot closer than the picture makes it look. Honestly the sig brace is further off FDE than the coyote tan.

The process was quite easy too. I cleaned the hand guard with hot water, shaving cream and a tooth brush then dried really well. Then i put it in a bucket with paint thinner to get it even cleaner. Scrubbed with a tooth brush again. I heated the oven to its lowest setting and hung the hand guard on a wire hanger. When it was good and dry I put it in the oven for about 5 min, then right outside to paint. Put 2 nice even coats on it and then back to the oven hanging from an oven rack, closed the door and turned the oven off. After about an hour and a half it was dry to the touch and warm to the touch. Installed, took picture, and put away to let it sit for a few days.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WOW, that was fast. You only picked up the AlumnaHyde from me at 11:10AM. :)

Looks good.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Picked it up at 11am went to engage, then to beltsville for parts for the wifes clothes dryer, dropped off my helper. Got home fixed the dryer, and then painted that.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County

Thanks to Pinecone, color is a lot closer than the picture makes it look. Honestly the sig brace is further off FDE than the coyote tan.

The process was quite easy too. I cleaned the hand guard with hot water, shaving cream and a tooth brush then dried really well. Then i put it in a bucket with paint thinner to get it even cleaner. Scrubbed with a tooth brush again. I heated the oven to its lowest setting and hung the hand guard on a wire hanger. When it was good and dry I put it in the oven for about 5 min, then right outside to paint. Put 2 nice even coats on it and then back to the oven hanging from an oven rack, closed the door and turned the oven off. After about an hour and a half it was dry to the touch and warm to the touch. Installed, took picture, and put away to let it sit for a few days.
    Looks like that thing would be fun. Good looking rifle.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    My one complaint about it is it didn't spray very well. Don't know if I got a bum can or not. It would stop spraying after a few seconds. The only way I could get it to spray again was to take the nozzle off and put it back on. That was a pain but I was able to work through it in the long run. And don't get it on your hands. It doesn't come off and stays tacky for a long time. Wear some gloves.
    Oh and I had some reservations about putting it in the oven because I thought it might drag the smell through the house. It did not at all. There was really no smell I noticed even when spraying.

Just got my 2 cans today. Glad to know it's fairly easy to apply. Someone on Brownells web site wrote up a bad review - probably a competitor. Nice looking rifle by the way.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Could not find a good match for the Cerakote Magpul FDE. After going through scores of color samples from Duracoat, found the Tiger Stripe green to be a good match for the green part of the camo. Used Duracoat tactical black on the barrel, and the green on the furniture and flash suppressor. Before and after pics below. Very happy with the results.

Attachments

• DSC_0058.jpg
      DSC_0058.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 705
    • DSC_0209.jpg
      DSC_0209.jpg
      98.9 KB · Views: 806

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members