• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Hi, I am looking for an entry level job within an hours drive of Urbana. I just graduated from UMD in May and have been unsuccessful in my job search. I prefer not to work in a sales job or for commission only. While I also prefer something business related I would also enjoy working in the automotive field but not as a tech.
    Attached is a redacted resume.

Attachments

• ResumeDCSuperRedacted.docx
      22.7 KB · Views: 126

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    You should either apply to the Federal or State Government.

God knows they both are in desperate need of someone that knows about Economics!

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    So it sounds like you want a cushy job where you're overpaid for what you do and don't have to work too hard. Yep, government is the place for you!

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I'm not comfortable living on my own as commission only at first. I'd rather make less money but have a guaranteed income. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I don't want to turn a hobby into my career and wind up hating working on my own stuff. I've applied to a ton of government jobs already in DC va MD and federal.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Have you considered car and truck dealerships and leasing companies? They have finance departments to handle all their various deals and dealings with customers and manufacturers, it's in the industry you want, and sounds like it might fit in with your degree.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    What about automotive trade associations, or auto/transportation research division of larger think tanks and research organizations? There are dozens if not more in the D.C. area. I assume you've gone through your college club contacts at least twice. Your credentials look good.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Hi, I am looking for an entry level job within an hours drive of Urbana. I just graduated from UMD in May and have been unsuccessful in my job search. I prefer not to work in a sales job or for commission only. While I also prefer something business related I would also enjoy working in the automotive field but not as a tech.

Attached is a redacted resume.

Why are you limiting yourself to a job that is one hours drive from Urbana? You should not have any restrictions on where you will work within the USA.

As others have suggested you should take a look at government jobs and don't limit yourself to DC only!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Judging by the responses OP you'd have better luck tossing your resume in a bottle and throwing it in the ocean then getting good advice on MDS.

Good luck bro.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've applied to a ton of government jobs already in DC va MD and federal.

Knowing someone on the inside is 90% of getting an interview for such a job. Suggest you do federal if possible. MD state govt is in dire straits for 2015 and beyond due to the huge budget shortfall.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    Thanks I do appreciate all the input you guys have given me. The furthest I have gotten with any government job is "referred" . I am on the email list of a few local car dealer chains and receive emails about what openings they have. I am looking with about an hours drive of Urbana because I like the area and that gives me Baltimore, DC, and NoVa.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Are you on LinkedIn? Start making connections and use their job search tools. Like someone mentioned, many times it is who you know.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    UMD should have some sort of job referral program where they post jobs or email you relevant ones. ask your professors for leads.

List your GPA unless it's below 3.0. Quantify your repair business ($ volume, parts volume bottom line, etc). Say some neat stuff you can do in excel (macros, pivots, lookups, etc); same with powerpoint. Lose the snowboard instructor, first thought is you're gone on powder days. Human "C"apital. List some of the MechEngr classes you took. How much $ in donations did you raise? Budget for annual car show?

what do you want to do??? find trade associations in that industry and they should have job boards also. target companies in your field of interest (letters and emails to presidents/owners). you can also do work with/for temp agencies in your field of interest to get your foot in a door somewhere. find recruiters that specialize in your field.

you mention your side job helped pay for school (good). did you graduate debt-free, mostly debt-free, if so, that's an accomplishment and should be listed.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom