• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I would like an NMO mount installed dead center on a Ford Focus roof, and the cable routed behind the trim (or hidden some other way) to under the drivers seat. Does anyone here do this kind of work, about how much would it cost me (if I supplied a 3/8ths mount), and how long would it take?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What I do as well, along with lights, sirens and other items.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I feel0in the dark , what's an NMO ? From the context , some sort of antenna mount ?

What eruby said. It's pretty standard for vehicle mounts for amateur radio, commercial and emergency vehicles. The exterior part is a threaded stud tied to the ground with a center conductor. You usually buy the mount and antenna separately and can change antennas if you like without having to drill any new holes.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Related to this, my car has a factory XM satellite radio antenna. Is it possible to remove that but reuse the whole in the roof for an NMO?

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Piggy backing on this thread any one work with factory Chevy stuff? Want to add xm to my tahoe. Already have the antenna and wireing just no reciever.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So I could switch back and forth between a K40 and a ThunderStik ?

If you can find the adapters, yes, but it would be real difficult to support the mass of the thunderstik with the NMO mount and might tear out the sheet metal around the mount. The K40 would be less problematic because of it's base type and whip.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Related to this, my car has a factory XM satellite radio antenna. Is it possible to remove that but reuse the whole in the roof for an NMO?

Depends on the location and the size of the hole for the XM, but probably, yes.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Piggy backing on this thread any one work with factory Chevy stuff? Want to add xm to my tahoe. Already have the antenna and wireing just no reciever.

While I haven't done any "stereo" work in a long time, it's not that hard, and I would be glad to look at it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom