Urgent! Hardwood floor refinishing help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 25, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi everyone,

My wife and I hired someone through thumbtack.com who seemed nice enough, but what was supposed to be a 2-3 day job refinishing our floors (roughly 700 sq. ft), is now going on a month. Supposedly, the guy's grandfather had a stroke, so he's been having to leave the state to visit him here and there, but has been neglecting us in the process.

Pretty much, we're fed up. He's less and less responsive to calls/texting and it has gotten to the point that I can't be understanding and I'm pissed off.

Is there anyone out there that's reasonably priced and willing to finish the job?

Thank you for your time.

Ryan

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Hey,

Where are you located?
    What stage is the sand job in? Sanding, stain, poly?

You can call my refinishing contractor

Mister Sand Man 410-500-8484

His name is Anthony, he is a super easy to deal with guy. Tell him Alex ZBA told you to call him.

Jun 25, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey,

Where are you located?

His name is Anthony, he is a super easy to deal with guy. Tell him Alex ZBA told you to call him.

Awesome, thank you.

Everything is sanded minus one room. Two rooms are stained and polyed. Pretty much the entryway, stairs, and living room are left.

Curious how much he charged for 700 sq ft?

$2/sq. ft.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Hey,

Where are you located?

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. We had 3 large dogs at one time and they scratch up the floors bad. I will keep your contractor in mind.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. We had 3 large dogs at one time and they scratch up the floors bad. I will keep your contractor in mind.

His guys know flooring work, they only to refinishing and repair. But I've seen them stitch in repairs that are un-noticeable when the floors are complete. And if the floors have a stain the cannot sand out, they'll stain the floors to match the stain, which is something we do for our rentals where cutting out the bad spot isn't costs effective.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

You may want to go with a water-born finish. 3 coats. After a couple years, starts showing wear, floor can be lightly disked off and new finish applied. Easy breezy.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have used this company before: http://www.dorrancewoodfloors.com/index.html

They did a very thorough job of sealing each room up and sanding it and staining it. Also it was a father/son team so I had to give them credit for that.

Also used this company for my kitchen flooring http://floorsystems.net/about-floor-systems/

Contractor had his guys line-strike markers next to my island so that the lines in the vinyl would be perfectly parallel after installation. That blew me away that he gave it that much detail.

Jun 25, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    did you call Anthony or did he not want the job?

I was waiting to see if any other recommendations came through, but I did call Andy this morning and just finished meeting with him, in fact.

We will be using him too, so thank you so much!

Edited to add - Thank you to everyone else who posted as well. L0gic, I did call Dorrance, but they're booked solid through mid-December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom