• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Maybe when they went to fire for a casing, the switch was on auto.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    If I were you I'd do the following:

1. Get a permanent record of the voice mail. Tape the message. That's the first notice you had that they didn't do what they were supposed to do, for whatever reason.
    2. Take the firearm back to the FFL and let them collect a casing from it.

Regardless of what we feel about the rules, the risk to your liberty is just too great. They sold you a firearm. I assume they charged you to create a spent shell casing. They need to do what you paid them to do. Neither you nor the FFL want to encourage a visit from the boys.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Devil's advocate for the shop owner. Mistakes happen, non of us are perfect, sounds like he is just trying to get this done and over with, with the least amount of intrusion on both parties time and energy. Shoot the gun, send him the shell, call it a day. Go on with life and enjoy your new firearm. I learned a long time ago not to get upset over things we have no control over.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Devil's advocate for the shop owner. Mistakes happen, non of us are perfect, sounds like he is just trying to get this done and over with, with the least amount of intrusion on both parties time and energy. Shoot the gun, send him the shell, call it a day. Go on with life and enjoy your new firearm. I learned a long time ago not to get upset over things we have no control over.

Just the same, the shop OWES the gun owner a huge debt for making this error. I do not believe a consumer supplied casing meets the law; I believe the gun must be returned.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Tell the shop owner he provides the full box of ammo for the spent casing and you get the rest of the box.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    If I were you I'd do the following:

1. Get a permanent record of the voice mail. Tape the message. That's the first notice you had that they didn't do what they were supposed to do, for whatever reason.
    2. Take the firearm back to the FFL and let them collect a casing from it.

Regardless of what we feel about the rules, the risk to your liberty is just too great. They sold you a firearm. I assume they charged you to create a spent shell casing. They need to do what you paid them to do. Neither you nor the FFL want to encourage a visit from the boys.

But what would "the boys" do to me exactly? I jumped through every single hoop and have the documentation to prove it. I have paperwork saying that they obtained a shell casing (double checked it last night). What obligation , aside from being scared of a visit from the cops, do I have to talk to this dealer ever again? This is COMPLETELY on them. It would be a different story if they admitted they lost it and offered some form of compensation for my time and trouble, but they didn't.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    There is nothing illegal about you mailing a shell casing to an FFL. They are not asking you to do anything illegal. They plan on doing something illegal by submitting a shell casing that they did not fire. They already did something illegal by releasing the handgun without the fired shell casing.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    But what would "the boys" do to me exactly? I jumped through every single hoop and have the documentation to prove it. I have paperwork saying that they obtained a shell casing (double checked it last night). What obligation , aside from being scared of a visit from the cops, do I have to talk to this dealer ever again? This is COMPLETELY on them. It would be a different story if they admitted they lost it and offered some form of compensation for my time and trouble, but they didn't.

You're in possession of a firearm that you know was improperly released.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think I would call him and tell him that you will come by at a certain time and let him fire 1 shot to collect the casing properly (while you wait). Whatever you 2 decide is fair compensation for your extra trouble is a separate issue.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    There is only one right answer go back to the shop, leave the gun in the car, bring a shell casing with you from that gun, and raise some hell about them shooting the piss out of your new gun, leaving it filthy, and not doing the correct job of obtaining the shell.

Hand over the shell casing and let them know you reported them to MSP.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013

I had a sales receipt for stolen property, I did not steal the property, I just bought it, the law did not care.

Go to the FFL's firing range, tell him to hold out his hand, pull the trigger and leave. Nothing in the law that requires any particular agent do the firing.

FFL must be Mfg.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Or the FFL can just call the MSP and say they lost the shell casing and you are not cooperating. Mistakes happen so do what needs to be done before it backfires on YOU.

FYI guns come dirty from the MFG/Distributors pretty regularly. You have no idea if the FFL fired that weapon in a way you are describing.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Some thing doesn't sound right. The fired case needs to be sent with the paperwork. If it was not with it when msp got it they would have contacted the ffl before the paperwork could be approved. If it was me I would call msp licensing division and tell them the entire story and ask how you should go about this. Make sure you get the trouper name and ID number along with time you called.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Some thing doesn't sound right. The fired case needs to be sent with the paperwork. If it was not with it when msp got it they would have contacted the ffl before the paperwork could be approved. If it was me I would call msp licensing division and tell them the entire story and ask how you should go about this. Make sure you get the trouper name and ID number along with time you called.

Not accurate.

Shell casing goes with the blue 77r copy and can be mailed within a certain time frame after the weapon is picked up. Most dealers send them in batches 2x a month.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

You're in possession of a firearm that you know was improperly released.

Nevermind. Too much guessing before first understanding what the law says needs to happen, or where responsibility rests in this matter. OP may wish to be a nice guy and help the dealer out, BUT, the dealer may be the one who owns the screw up, and needs to take steps to put it right with the OP.

BBossman1

Mar 11, 2009
    Kensington
    Some peoples children... Why wring the FFL's balls over this? Mistakes happen, get him the shell casing and be done with it. Do we really need another FFL falling prey to the compliance Nazis?

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom