• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Nothing in the law that provides for that. Collector status does not entitle them to search... However, establishing probable cause to search, in this day and age, is trivial. Simply call you a suspected terrorist and search all they want... after all once they uncover your arsenal of bolt action mosin nagants and mausers (AKA high powered military rifles and sniper weapons) you'll be vilified to the point of no return. Heaven forbid you own more than one black rifle.

Mark
    Even for suspected terrorists they need a warrant....or when dealing with foreign terrorists in the US and dealing with FISA they still need a FISA order, but when it is a US citizen they claim is a terrorist, they will still need a FISA warrant at the least.

The Bush administration abused FISA and in my opinion committed numerous criminal acts under the guise of presidential powers due to a claim Congroess gave gave ambiguous authority shortly after 9/11 (not the Patriot Act), but just because they conducted warrantless wiretaps and possibly searches (using NSLs IIRC) does not mean they did so legally or Constitutionally.
    If they abused FISA to search your home without a warrant by simply claiming you to be a terrorist, then they are facing jail time and there is a financial award in the statute you must be paid.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well that's my point, is that legal or not, some will twist a situation to suit their purposes... In most cases the poor sap on the wrong end of the government will just get run over.

Mark

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    It is BS. Ask him to cite a statute, regulation or court case and when he can't point out that there is no worded consent to search to sign in the designated collector's status form and without consent to search they need a warrant as per the Constitution of the United States and the Maryland Declaration of Rights.

That is what I asked him. He just said that he knew the person who designed the form letter and that there were other regulations when becoming a collector. He said there was a cost to your rights to become a collector and that is why the MD government made it. I figured it was just another misinformed person. I asked him to cite MD law about this and told him I knew of no written MD law that stated what he had said. He could state no law but insisted that he "knew people." I called BS but he was quite persistant that it was fact and so I just thought I would check up and see the story.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yeah....everyone knows a guy, that heard from some guy that had a cousin whose father worked with a guy that had this happen to him.

It's a gun shop version of the old game, telephone.

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    If it was the truth, I would imagine it would be in the paperwork with the application or in a booklet of rules and regulations that came with the letter.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If it was the truth, I would imagine it would be in the paperwork with the application or in a booklet of rules and regulations that came with the letter.

Nothing came with my MD Collector letter. Besides being excited when I seen it, I was underwhelmed with the brevity of the piece of paper.

I'm wondering if that friend is confusing the C&R with the MD COllector. Two entirely different status'...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That is what I asked him. He just said that he knew the person who designed the form letter and that there were other regulations when becoming a collector. He said there was a cost to your rights to become a collector and that is why the MD government made it. I figured it was just another misinformed person. I asked him to cite MD law about this and told him I knew of no written MD law that stated what he had said. He could state no law but insisted that he "knew people." I called BS but he was quite persistant that it was fact and so I just thought I would check up and see the story.

Regulation? Form letter?
    Tell him we have not only seen the application, but we filled them out and we even recieved the letter telling us we were collectors and we have seen not one thing that suggests his story is true.
    Tell him as far as regulations go, give him this link and tell him where in the regulations which are published online for us all to see says not a word to suggest his story is true. http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/SearchTitle.aspx?scope=29

Oh, and remind him that when he goes onto the state regulations websight to wear his protective device just in case. http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Not just that, but if it were true we would have heard about one of the four to six thousand designated collectors getting searched over the past six or seven years by now.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Nothing came with my MD Collector letter. Besides being excited when I seen it, I was underwhelmed with the brevity of the piece of paper.

I'm wondering if that friend is confusing the C&R with the MD COllector. Two entirely different status'...
    Even the C&R does not allow for warrantless searches.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Of course it's B.S.

It looks like he's heard some confused and garbled misinformation about the FEDERAL C&R license, which is totally different and completely unrelated.

Holders of the FEDERAL license are required to maintain certain records, and can be audited (by prior notification and scheduling) by the BATFE. In that unlikely instance, the Feds can not search your house, in fact, you have the option of conducting the audit at their office. Most crufflers are never audited.

The Maryland Collector status involves no record keeping, no audits, nothing. You're just registering yourself in another database, making your dossier a little thicker. It's basically a bureaucratic thing.

I suspect the plan is to round up the Collectors in the first sweep, then work down the database of owners of regulated firearms, as space in the cattle cars and Reeducation Camps permits. The advantage, of course, being that the first ones in the Camps claim the better cells, etc.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=15643&highlight=GIS

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=15976

Major_Hochstetter2.jpg

Major Hochstetter, Gestapo: "Your Dossier is already bulging!"

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Of course it's B.S.

I suspect the plan is to round up the Collectors in the first sweep, then work down the database of owners of regulated firearms, as space in the cattle cars and Reeducation Camps permits. The advantage, of course, being that the first ones in the Camps claim the better cells, etc.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=15643&highlight=GIS

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=15976

View attachment 10423

Major Hochstetter, Gestapo: "Your Dossier is already bulging!"

If we make it that far

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD

I was the same way with mine. It does sound like he is confusing the MD collector and the C&R...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well I am now, "in the system." Reality is, that I am sure that I have been in the system for quite some time... Fingerprints, security clearances, speeding tickets, commissioning paper work, DNA samples, Dental Records, Medical Records, Military Records, and so on. The Government knows everything about me, or damn near, and not a damn thing I can do about it other than remain boring and uninteresting to them.

So, I have my MD state letter that now designates me as a collector... less than 2 months time.

Mark

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Approved Collector Status

I recently purchased 3 guns from a private individual. We did the paperwork at the local State Police Barracks. To expedite the process, I turned in my collector application. In about 10 days, the seller received the paperwork back authorizing the physical transfer of all 3. Should I have received approval or some proof that my collector application was approved?

Wendall

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I recently purchased 3 guns from a private individual. We did the paperwork at the local State Police Barracks. To expedite the process, I turned in my collector application. In about 10 days, the seller received the paperwork back authorizing the physical transfer of all 3. Should I have received approval or some proof that my collector application was approved?

Wendall
    Call the firearms/licensing division at the MDSP to ask them about your specific application to see if it was one that was a "multiple purchase" or "bulk purchase" or if your seperate collector's designation has already been approved before you do the transfer. They can look up your name in the computer and tell you if you have been approved, or if the application is properly approved for multiple transfers.l

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    The law says not more than two for a multiple purchase.
    1. the purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase to take advantage of a licensee’s discounted price available only for a multiple purchase

If they allowed 3, then perhaps he is a collector now.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The law says not more than two for a multiple purchase.

If they allowed 3, then perhaps he is a collector now.
    I was reading the law again earlier and the way I read it, the only two limit only applies to purchase from a licensee's discounted price. For a private collection or a collector series or a bulk puchase from an estate sale, there does not seem to be a two purchase limit.

5-129. Same - Multiple purchases allowed.
    (a) Requirements. Notwithstanding § 5-128
    (b) of this subtitle, a person may purchase more
    than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period if:
    (1) the person applies for and the Secretary
    approves a multiple purchase; and
    (2)(i) the purchase of the regulated firearms is
    for a private collection or a collector series; [as I understand it, "or" goes here]
    (ii) the purchase of the regulated firearms is a
    bulk purchase from an estate sale; [or]
    (iii)1. the purchase of not more than two regulated
    firearms is a multiple purchase to take advantage
    of a licensee's discounted price available
    only for a multiple purchase; and
    2. the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing
    a regulated firearm during the following 30-day
    period unless approved under item (i) or (ii) of
    this item; or [both paragraphs (1) and (2) of item (iii) are only applicable to (iii) as I read it and does not restrict items (i) and (ii)]
    (iv) the purchase is for other purposes similar
    to items (i) through (iii) of this item.

Olli

Aug 26, 2010
    Good info, a friend of mind has one, but has not used it. Not sure it is worth it. But if it facilitates CC approval in MD, then I can certainly see the benefit. I wish we could elect policy makers who understand the 2nd amendment and how it separates this country from others around the world.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Good info, a friend of mind has one, but has not used it. Not sure it is worth it. But if it facilitates CC approval in MD, then I can certainly see the benefit. I wish we could elect policy makers who understand the 2nd amendment and how it separates this country from others around the world.

Kind of an old thread ya think??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom