• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I ordered one. No hands-on experience yet but guys over on the AK forum have said it feeds mixed loads very reliably out of the box.

Really well-made as are all of Molot's products. The LRBHO and magwell are major improvements over the S-12's rock-and-lock.

I predict these will be very popular! Hopefully they continue to be imported in this configuration, it's neat having a "sporter" with original Russian parts. I'm sure the price will drop over the next year, just like the trend on their rifles.

Looks like the Saiga 12 has some real competition. Atleast now that Molot's VEPR 12 has come to the US.

Curious if anyone has experience with them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCfzsXKHidA

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The real question is 922r... wouldn't you need to replace a bunch of stuff to use hi-cap magazines or a folder? Not the end of the world by any means, but I don't think some people have thought that through yet.

I definitely think that for a thousand bucks, it's pretty hard to see why you'd ever want a converted Saiga 12 outside of some very specific demands (eg, drums).

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The real question is 922r... wouldn't you need to replace a bunch of stuff to use hi-cap magazines or a folder? Not the end of the world by any means, but I don't think some people have thought that through yet.

I definitely think that for a thousand bucks, it's pretty hard to see why you'd ever want a converted Saiga 12 outside of some very specific demands (eg, drums).

I thought 922r was only for rifles? For what I've seen the Molot's are being sold the way they are imported.

It looks like a perfect SBS candidate.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I thought 922r was only for rifles? For what I've seen the Molot's are being sold the way they are imported.
    Nope, it applies to shotguns. What you're seeing is the ironic result of the ATF study that people were freaking out about ("OH NOES THEY ARE GOING TO BAN SAIGA 12S!"). That study decided that a pistol grip wasn't a banned feature, and neither were rails.

It looks like a perfect SBS candidate.
    I've already seen one from a SOT. It's pretty slick.

Overlijden

Nothing to see move along
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lusby
    Hi, Im new "First time caller, long time listener" type thing.

Is the Vepr 12 a regulated firearm in Maryland? I have a Saiga and the Vepr sitting at my local FFL's.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Depending on the MSP's whim any particular year, it's been both regulated and unregulated.

The law, however, is unambiguous: only AK rifles are regulated.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    *shrugs* Saiga 12s with proper gas ports and an autoplug can do that. The problem with S12s was always the QC on the gas...

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    *shrugs* Saiga 12s with proper gas ports and an autoplug can do that. The problem with S12s was always the QC on the gas...

Lack of qc that is!!! Sometimes it takes a little work to get the saiga 12 to be reliable. I have a 4 port with a v-plug that is fully converted. I have run everything from federal target/multi purpose to 3" slugs/buck without problems.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    The Vepr 12 certainly appears to be a nice gun but don't under estimate the S-12. I have a S-12 "Signcutter" built by Mike Rogers at Lonestar Arms and I have run hundreds of rounds, both cheapos and highbrass with no FTE or FTF. Can't ask for more than that. I'll try and attach a pic showing four empties in the air.

Attachments

• Ron with saiga (392 x 600).jpg
      Ron with saiga (392 x 600).jpg
      66 KB · Views: 410

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Saiga 12 is a honking piece of crap compared to the VEPR12. I have spent alot of time refining and tuning Saiga 12's to be better. Once improved PROPERLY they are nice shotguns. Its NOT cheap at all.

The Vepr 12 is like a Les Baer 1911 for the AK Shotgun. The Saiga 12 is like a LLama for the AK Shotgun.

I could not in good conscience suggest anyone get a S12 and then dump money to convert one when for the same price you can get a VEPR and it dosent need a Gunsmith.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom