• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curtezriggs

Apr 16, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Greetings

I've been trolling the forums for the last few weeks, absorbing a lot of good information. Now, I need help pulling the trigger and making my first AR purchase....

Primary purpose will be Home Defense, the occasional target, and waiting for big SHTF event of late 2012...

Anyway, here are my options...

RRA Operator 2

Colt SP6920MP

Thanks for your time!

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    6920. /Thread
    If jesus carried an AR-15 it would be a Colt 6920.
    Don't order offline if you can help it. Gun Connection should have a sp6920 and their only 25 min away from you. They are an industry partner and they help support this site.

curtezriggs

Apr 16, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    6920. /Thread
    If jesus carried an AR-15 it would be a Colt 6920.
    Don't order offline if you can help it. Gun Connection should have a sp6920 and their only 25 min away from you. They are an industry partner and they help support this site.

Thanks for the info... Found them on the site and they have the exact same model in stock (i think)...http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=81433

OTD it will be about $90 more than ordering online... But it's worth it for the relationship and customer service

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    If you're gonna buy one AR-15, you can't go wrong with a Colt. They're very well-built. I'm surprised no one has posted "the chart":

AR-15-Comparison_Chart.jpg

I'd say if you were only going to get one AR15 for the rest of your life, the Colt 6920 is the best choice. The only downside to the Colt is that if you want to upgrade the trigger, your options are limited. Since Colt makes M4s and such for the military, they've been pressured to change the hammer/trigger pin sizes in their civilian rifles so you can't easily swap in an M16/M4 fire control group.

If you see yourself doing a lot of customization to your AR15, you may want to consider building one on your own. But if you just want to buy once and shoot, get the Colt.

Not that RRA rifles are "bad". My first AR15 was an RRA, and it does plenty well as a range horse. In fact, my SBR is built on that RRA lower. But everything in that lower has been swapped out, and the upper is gone. I got a Spike's midlength upper and the LMT SBR upper.

If you wanted to get a Colt cash-and-carry, the AR6721 has the HBAR barrel, I believe, and is built with the same quality.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you're gonna buy one AR-15, you can't go wrong with a Colt. They're very well-built. I'm surprised no one has posted "the chart":

I'd say if you were only going to get one AR15 for the rest of your life, the Colt 6920 is the best choice. The only downside to the Colt is that if you want to upgrade the trigger, your options are limited. Since Colt makes M4s and such for the military, they've been pressured to change the hammer/trigger pin sizes in their civilian rifles so you can't easily swap in an M16/M4 fire control group.

The new Colt FCG pins are standard size now.

curtezriggs

Apr 16, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Thanks for the info so far guys.... With each new post I'm seeing new info that making this a very easy decision for me...

The SP6920MP-B MagPul MOE is the model I'm looking at. It comes equipped with:

Magpul MOE Adjustable Stock
    Post Front/Folding Magpul Rear Sites
    Magpul MOE Handguard
    Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
    Magpul RVG (Rail Vert. Grip)

Is this setup overkill for Home defense and the occasional range?

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Nope. It saves you from replacing what most end up replacing anyway. I would replace the rear sight with a troy BUIS when funds allow.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Thanks for the info so far guys.... With each new post I'm seeing new info that making this a very easy decision for me...

The SP6920MP-B MagPul MOE is the model I'm looking at. It comes equipped with:

Magpul MOE Adjustable Stock
    Post Front/Folding Magpul Rear Sites
    Magpul MOE Handguard
    Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
    Magpul RVG (Rail Vert. Grip)

Is this setup overkill for Home defense and the occasional range?

Nope. Buy once, cry once. The furniture is all up to personal preference. Also, Magpul makes a vertical grip specifically for the MOE handguard. It's the MVG. You may want to change the rear sights if you plan on running irons most of the time. There's nothing wrong with the Magpul BUIS, but a fixed set of irons with more adjustment may be more useful if you're shooting irons most of the time. It's all personal preference, though, so try stuff out.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27

AR-15-Comparison_Chart.jpg

If you see yourself doing a lot of customization to your AR15, you may want to consider building one on your own. But if you just want to buy once and shoot, get the Colt.

Not that RRA rifles are "bad". My first AR15 was an RRA, and it does plenty well as a range horse. In fact, my SBR is built on that RRA lower. But everything in that lower has been swapped out, and the upper is gone. I got a Spike's midlength upper and the LMT SBR upper.

If you wanted to get a Colt cash-and-carry, the AR6721 has the HBAR barrel, I believe, and is built with the same quality.

Good lord that chart is dated... as is your advice about pin size. Commercially sold Colts have been using small pins for several years now.

You are guaranteed mil spec quality with the Colt, but that doesn't mean the RRA isn't a decent gun or that it won't meet your personal needs. It also doesn't mean that a Colt is necessarily the BEST quality gun available because it meets the mil spec requirements.

Between the Colt and the RRA I would go with the Colt, if youre hung up on mil spec and you want to save a little $$$ there are other options that meet the spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom