• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What Saturday would you be able to attend an AK build party?

• Total voters

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    1. Where exactly would this event take place?

2. Is it acceptable to show up with nothing but food? I keep going to buy tools then my money ends up elsewhere. If not then that's cool and I understand, I'll get to the AK build one of these days.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    balls, i didn't think of the split.

i do have a bottle of rocksett, so as long as you're not soaking the rifle in water, it ain't goin anywhere.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    You can't pin it. Notice in the 2nd pic the bottom is slotted open. Pins keep something from rotating, not to keep it shut/tight. Why not just buy a normal one from Kvar or somewhere? Or has the money already been spent?

we pin them at scotts all the time

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    1. Where exactly would this event take place?

2. Is it acceptable to show up with nothing but food? I keep going to buy tools then my money ends up elsewhere. If not then that's cool and I understand, I'll get to the AK build one of these days.

I am located Dentsville - Half way between Route 5 in Hughesville and Route 6 south of LaPlata.

You are absolutely welcome to show up with only food, your parts kit and receiver/barrel.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I am located Dentsville - Half way between Route 5 in Hughesville and Route 6 south of LaPlata.

You are absolutely welcome to show up with only food, your parts kit and receiver/barrel.

I recalled where you lived since you made that offer a while back to help out anyone who needed it. I'm going to get on my Dad about getting a parts kit so we can both do them. I also need to get some of the black finish to finish my receiver (can't recall the name at the moment)

Will check back in with a date. Thanks a ton :party29:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What do you all typically buy to use for your 922(r) compliance parts? Triggers? Furniture?It's a shame to discard a bunch of parts out of the kit I have because of that stupid rule but it is what it is. I'd like to make my compliance parts as invisible as possible.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    for a gun you're trying to keep looking authentic, receiver, muzzle device, something furniture related, and FCG is the easiest way to roll. for the apex hungarian kits, Ironwood Designs makes exact replacements in beech (the correct wood) that just need final fitting, final sanding, and a couple dozen hand-rubbed coats of oil (either real tung oil--not the crap Formby's sells through walmart--or boiled linseed oil). ;)

a lot of people are big fans of replacing the gas piston, and yeah if there's damage or the chrome is flaking off or something, sure. frankly, the few i tried replacing, it just never looked original. it definitely looked like the piston had been replaced. and with stuff like muzzle device, FCG, and furniture, it's much less time-consuming to replace. easy wins.

there is also the school of thought that 922(r) applies to sales/transfers and not something you build for personal possession. i'm not saying it's one way or the other, just explaining the point of view of another group of folks. study it and make your own choice.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    I'd like to come as well. Currently looking for a barrel for the Apex AK63D kit.
    Hopefully I can bring something of use. Don't have any tools for building AK's but I'm sure there are other consumables that will be needed.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Still trying to find someone that can bend a 1.5mm flat. Tried to use the standard 1mm jig but it was a no-go.
    Also I receive my Apex AK63D kit in the mail today. Have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Looks great and couldn't beat the price.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Whoohoo. My 63D kits from Century showed up at my brothers this week! (still show as ID needed on the website and not shipped.) Just need to get down there and pick up all my goodies before Sept. Will get him to get the trunnion/kit #s and try to find a match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom