• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

Last Saturday my son and I went out to a range (somewhat) near my home in the bay area (CA). I finally got a chance to shoot my BP pistol!
    After a few clumsy attempts in loading the pistol, I it was easy as pie!

The video is only 10 sec's long, but you get the idea:
    :party29:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrxDcAuxI6s

It's great fun, should've gotten one a long-long time ago!!!!!
    I stuck with pyrodex powder and not reg black powder (even though I have bp) Started off with light loads and worked up, the heavier loads (35-40 grains-recommended max charge is 45 grains) seem to work best. I didn't have a chance to put it on paper, (those lanes were taken and never opened).
    So I set up some 1-gallon milk jugs (and some other cans & bottles) at about 100 yards And give it a go. Surprisingly I was able to hit them once and a while, when I didn't I was close (although I was using a rest).
    That is what surprised me the most, is the accuracy!

Next time I'll go during the week (when isn't so crowded) and put some shots on paper - can't wait!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Good on you!

BP is nasty, dirty and smoky stuff, but it sure is fun to make white smoke. :party29:

It only takes a few range trips to become a BP addict...:innocent0

Here's your video embedded:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Now you need some revolvers, rifles, and a couple of rock locks to experience "flash in the pan". Then you can move up to cannons and mortars.

The Holy Black rules!

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City

A friend gave me this flintlock last Tuesday along with a second identical pistol. Itook them to the range Sunday and shot each a half dozen times. Then I took them home and went to work on one, sanding and refinishing the 45 Jukar Spain reproduction made in the 70's. Update to follow.

This is what I wound up with......the tiger look in the before darker finish is grinder burns which never got sanded down and finished properly. The triggers are absolutely terrible on these and I may make a new trigger altogether because the original is cast brass an it feels like a cap gun...actually it feels even cheaper then a cap gun, there's far too much play and no return spring, so once fired the trigger just kind of rattles around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom