• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Most agencies have spent 1000s of HR manhours creating "legal" hiring programs to bypass veterans preference hiring laws. Unless you are blood related to a current agency employee, your chances of getting in are nill.

And government has spent 1000 of hours creating a system where unless your a vet you will never get in. Luckily I got in when the still had the federal career intern program...one of those systems to bypass vets. I'm all for vet pref...but they shouldn't have a monopoly on federal service.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    From what I can tell, it's not the ability, experience, work history, or skill that gets you the job so much as the ability to craft your resume to best match the job description.

Not that the people who land the jobs aren't qualified but you won't get past the resume scan if you don't write it correctly regardless of what your actual quals are.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    These people have confirmed that they literally copied and pasted the Job description into their resume's to get their KSA hits and scored high enough to earn a job.

Either that or when they answered "d." to:

"a. I have no experience in an engineering project.
    b. I have experience participating in a small engineering project.
    c. I have experience participating in a mid-size engineering project .
    d. I have experience participating in a large engineering project."

It was because they changed the toner in the laser printer for the last 5 years. If that. The computer program that scored the app lumped them in the upper 75%. Someone else's never saw the light of day because they're honest and answered "c.".

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    ...The answer is that these people are stacked up into entire non-mission essential organizations of problem employees. Leaders who can't effectively manage their problem employees promote them on to these orgs and by god I can only hope they are the first ones hit by the budget cuts. ...

They won't be. The first ones to go are the people that break their backs to get the job done. The other assholes spend their time inflating their resumes and making sure they look important, and as a result they'll be receiving a government paycheck till they're dead. Maybe longer.

I love how that works. It takes 10 months to hire you as a GS but they can put you in the same position as a contractor in less than 2 weeks doing the exact same work.

20% of the folks to 80% of the inherently governmental work
    The rest is done by contractors.

Speaking as a hard-working contractor, I'd like to say we do more than 20% of the government's work. :D

Either that or when they answered "d." to:

"a. I have no experience in an engineering project.
    b. I have experience participating in a small engineering project.
    c. I have experience participating in a mid-size engineering project .
    d. I have experience participating in a large engineering project."

It was because they changed the toner in the laser printer for the last 5 years. If that. The computer program that scored the app lumped them in the upper 75%. Someone else's never saw the light of day because they're honest and answered "c.".

Excuse me, I have some applications to adjust in USA Jobs. BRB....

jwalker3181

Aspiring Zombie Hunter
    Sep 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    They won't be. The first ones to go are the people that break their backs to get the job done. The other assholes spend their time inflating their resumes and making sure they look important, and as a result they'll be receiving a government paycheck till they're dead. Maybe longer.

Speaking as a hard-working contractor, I'd like to say we do more than 20% of the government's work. :D

Excuse me, I have some applications to adjust in USA Jobs. BRB....

2nd that off to USA Jobs I go

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I applied to NDW back mid '11; They called me early summer '12 and asked if I was still interested, I said 'yes' (of course); through the summer I heard nothing cept for my references calling me to tell me they talked to the investigator (which is funny, he knew me because he taught my fire/ems instructor I/II classes).. Then I got an email cancelling the GS7/8 for funding.... Next thing I know its early november and they send me a tentative offer letter; 19 november I started, GS-0081-09-01 Firefighter/Paramedic at NDW Bethesda.... It takes a while to get rolling, but once it does, its quick. Now mine was faster b/c I allready had a current Secret via SF86; if your job needs a clearance that will slow it down alot.

Good luck and Semper Fi! :D

echo320

Nov 24, 2012
    when i was hired it took several months from initial contact for interview to confirmation of job offer. if you have yhe original posting, it wouldn't hurt to contact the hr peron. a
    hang in there..

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    It's good (I guess) to know I wasn't the only one with this type of situation.

I signed on with a contracting outfit over a month ago and am waiting while all the paperwork goes through and my clearance goes from the inactive .mil pile to the active contractor pile. Until then, no working and no paycheck from them.

In the meantime, having paid off pretty much everything except the house and the "newer to me" car while still on active duty, I jumped into a business venture. I won't go into too much detail as my IP agreement hasn't been finalized yet and I don't want to run afoul of the rules of this fine site...let's just say that there are a little more than 3 tons of small, not-so-shiny metallic thingys that are getting lubed, squeezed, stroked, reamed, a little taken "off the tip", shined up... More to follow.

Thankfully, ol' whatsherface is still working and between what she makes and my paltry .mil retirement (technically, "retainer" but it's hard to explain to non-DON folks) pay, I can meet my obligations. It'll be better when I start "redistributing" my shiny things and/or working in a "real job".

Found out this afternoon that at least one of the jobs I put in for has been filled. Would have been nice to get an email saying "no" as I have been stalling with some other folks.

Even with a 99 score you were bumped, and I doubt it was because someone had a 100 point score. They don't want to deal with you, because you probably were the EXACT person for the job, and they have no valid excuse for NOT hiring you. Fact is, that the person filling the job didn't want to have to explain to you why no offer, with no good reason available, hence no e-mail.
    Could have also been, which I've been told many times by Govt friends, that the hiring boss is a douche. A guy that refuses to hire anyone good, that will potentially displace him, or get promoted over him, in the future. That is the main reason that while mediocrity often causes unemployment in the private sector, it manages to thrive in the government. Then the hard working folks have to deal with these sub-standard replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom