• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County

I worked right down the street from you at the old Penn Auto/Penn Jersey store for about 15 years. I did this mostly part-time in the 80's and 90's until I retired and then worked full time for awhile. Back then there were not any computers in the store to look up parts. Everything was done with catalogs. You could always find a part to fit. I really enjoyed the auto parts business.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Hola pendejo quanto dinero por tu hermana is all the spanish any American should ever have to learn.

Which will get you the retort;

Hola puto, chupa mi verga pendejo. :D And just remember you mess with one bean you gotta fight the whole burrito.

Oh damn I thought this was in the water cooler.... oh wells, ways out....

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    For me the days of going into an auto store and getting parts has been all but over. Since the Internet is populated with so many web stores that sell a dozen duplicates of the same part at different prices delivered to my door. The downside is the shipping. I've gotten used to finding and ordering parts I need myself anyway.

I still go into whatever part store that's closest at the time to buy consumables, but that's only a small list as well.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Muy Excelente! You'll be just fine then! There seems to be two types of people that work at these chain auto parts stores (more or less).

1) Young clueless punks who don't know the first schit about a car

2) Older (mostly) dudes that will scour the computer and find something that works that isn't even listed for your application.

Annnnnnddddd, two types of customers, women and Mexicans. :D

Hey on that number 2 some of us young guys do that when we are on the buying end of the deal. Youd be suprised what a 23 yr old that works on anything and everything under the sun has to do to get parts. I was learing to look my own stuff up at 15 when I was getting my first truck on the road.

quick story, Im working on my sister 69 VW and I need a set of points and a condensor for it, call up the local chain store and a guy my age answered the phone. Told him what I needed, was while he was searching he said this is for the AC right? :mad54: I told him I want to talk to the oldest guy in the store, damn kids my age suck, well at least 99% of them do.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Some auto chain store employees reflect most people who use internet message boards/forums. Even though they have a computer with all the information that takes a little effort to get, they still have a hard time retrieving/searching it for themselves.

I usually prefer a place like NAPA, Kunkels, Salvos over the others but I took a NAPA part # off their website into a NAPA and they still had questions. Maybe with every search they need to fill out vehicle information, but needless to say, they had to leave them blank for me.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So far pretty interesting :) Autozone gives you a glimpse of society...and lets you know the great majority of people really would not know what to do in a SHTF scenario...hell half these people cant change their own wipers:sad20:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So far pretty interesting :) Autozone gives you a glimpse of society...and lets you know the great majority of people really would not know what to do in a SHTF scenario...hell half these people cant change their own wipers:sad20:

I asumme you already ztarted working there? Want to change mywipers too? Lol

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    lol yep...Ill trade you a wiper installation for some .308 mags:lol2::lol2:

sure..as long you replace the rope too.. its kinda dry rotted now.. ;)
    RedneckWiper.jpg

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    hell half these people cant change their own wipers:sad20:

Yeah, but it's getting to that point in how vehicles are manufactured today. All you have to do is pop the hood on most newer stuff. Land Yachts with enough space under to fit two people and shut the hood dont exist anymore.

I noticed in most new vehicles it even takes a decent amount of effort to replace something as simple as your battery. Auto makers love to bolt things to the tray, terminals, and crowd the engine bay with plastic shrouding. I popped the hood on a newer Explorer and couldn't find the transmission dipstick.. you can't really service it yourself unless you buy a flushing machine. LOL

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I also think if driving and vehicle maitenance was some how included in todays school system a lot of future drivers would be better off, kids going to driving school after hours more focused on smart phones surely reflects most of their non driving habits I notice

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I popped the hood on a newer Explorer and couldn't find the transmission dipstick.. yLOL

Explorers haven't had a transmission dipstick since 2003. Quite a few vehicles are coming with 100k mile service intervals for transmissions. Hence they become disposable transmissions.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well I havent got fired yet...LOL.

I have seen some stupid stuff people want to do...

One guy asks for a foot of fuel line and 2 hose clamps

I ask what he's trying to do...

Guy says fix his brake line..:sad20::sad20:

I'm in shock...trying to not to think of what the guy just said...:lol2::lol2:

So I just tell him he really shouldnt do that...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well I havent got fired yet...LOL.

I have seen some stupid stuff people want to do...

One guy asks for a foot of fuel line and 2 hose clamps

I ask what he's trying to do...

Guy says fix his brake line..:sad20::sad20:

I'm in shock...trying to not to think of what the guy just said...:lol2::lol2:

So I just tell him he really shouldnt do that...

View attachment 58182

I don't know what to say to that..., what a dumb-ass...

Last edited:

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Former CarQuest guy here. I started out at one of the old Yates autoparts stores. I learned on the books, no computers at that point.

I appreciate the sales guys/gals who know what they are talking about, or they want to learn about cars. I hate the clowns who have no idea. When you find a good "counterman", they are worth the waiting in line to get to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom