• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Sounds like this might be a police certification class from Pennsylvania perhaps?
    They won't hire her laterally into MD without 1. experience and 2. a MD compliance course.

All police training in MD is sponsored by an agency. When you graduate, you are working for that agency who hired you.

I think in MD at Anne Arundel Community college they have an "Academy" that certifies graduates to apply for lateral to the Sheriff Dept.

Incorrect sir,

I was (in lieu of getting picked up by an Agency) planning on taking the accredited course offered via PGCC. Paid for by the US Post-9/11 GI Bill. However you can also pay out of pocket. Typically, it is a sponsored academy, but they do allow individual applicants. Upon completion you don't get a job, but you are MPTC certified :D

jaypark

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 29, 2009
    peoples republic of MOCO
    I was (in lieu of getting picked up by an Agency) planning on taking the accredited course offered via PGCC. Paid for by the US Post-9/11 GI Bill. However you can also pay out of pocket. Typically, it is a sponsored academy, but they do allow individual applicants. Upon completion you don't get a job, but you are MPCTC certified

almost 100% Marine... its MPCTC.... and these days dont count on getting a gig with a big agency with that cert... but PG has 26 small agencies.... but it is PG so come strong... or dont come at all

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Tconfo said:
    Just an FYI, the msp hasn't given out steps in over 2 years. My best friend is still making what he did in the academy.

Also, NRP is a ten month resident academy. Just things to consider if you want to know if it is right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Remember, they can send you to whatever part of the state they want/need. If you are a hunter, it's hard to get time off for hunting season. You will deal with some s**t. Knuckleheads in the forests with guns, alcohol, drugs. Anything that happens in the cities, happens in the woods. The job is unpredictable and dangerous, your communications are sketchy due to reception, your back-up could be an hour away, you are likely to be assaulted. You will be called out from your home at all hours of the night for petty things. You will work midnights, weekends, holidays. Just to let people know about other sides of the job.

If you become a NRP officer, make friends with the other jurisdicitons. They will be your lifeline and partners.

Awesome job though. Great experiences. Once you gain senority, think about it, you can work near the ocean or in the mountains. One thing it has is diversity of the state.

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't know a happy State Trooper right now, otherwise I'd agree with that list. I almost went to Transp. Authority right after 9-11, just couldn't handle the pay cut.

I don't know a happy Toll Troll either, except the new recruits of course.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    My cousin's SOL applied for NRP position about a year ago and they said they weren't hiring. He dropped his application and did the physical and everything else. Is he still eligible for this hiring? He was 4 years in the Navy and had a TS clearance working IT type stuff. I was going to tell him to ping the NRP guys again just to make sure he is in the running. Do you think he has a chance?

Vic

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Vic said:
    My cousin's SOL applied for NRP position about a year ago and they said they weren't hiring. He dropped his application and did the physical and everything else. Is he still eligible for this hiring? He was 4 years in the Navy and had a TS clearance working IT type stuff. I was going to tell him to ping the NRP guys again just to make sure he is in the running. Do you think he has a chance?

Vic

OP says July 27.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    I would apply, but I'm to old and out of shape. Plus with my new found illness, they would turn me down flat.:sad20: Cool job though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom